Battery question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drum Dog

Reaction score
In my 2019 owners manual I remember it talking about the battery needing a special charger.
Can someone educate me on the type of battery it is and why it needs a special charger?
Also any maintainer/chargers you would recommend would be appreciated. I have 2 other cheap maintainers I use on my other bikes but I'm not sure I can use them on the VMAX.
Thanks

Lithium batteries don't like the initial jolt that most conventional battery chargers hit lead acid batteries with. Hence, the recommendation to use a specialized charger. It's my understanding that on the better conventional chargers that feature is adjustable. I have one of the Shorai batteries and charger, but I have put the shorai on a conventional charger for a short time with no damage. An extra feature of the lithium battery charger is that it has a trickle and storage functions.

So I just need to find one that does Lithium batteries. I don't think my chargers will work but my battrie tenders might.
Thanks

I was about to order this one. https://www.amazon.com/BikeMaster-TS0207A-Lithium-Battery-Charger/dp/B0167JU8VI
But I read my manual again before I ordered. The 2019 manual says it has a VRLA Battery. (Valve Regulated Led Acid) I goes on to say it needs a constant voltage charger. I think my little float charger will be OK to just maintain it since it is a Led Acid Battery. My Africa Twin is also a VRLA and I have used my chargers on it with good results.
Sorry guys I guess I should have re read my manual before I posted.

Last edited:
i did some research on this as i have a 2016 max found out the battery is a glass mat aka agm battery and needs a constant voltage to charge and a fluctuating voltage will kill it i use an optima digital 1200 battery charger it works on both conventinal and agm batterys and also has a maintain function to keep battery topped off and has motorcycle selection too you can get more info on optima web site . hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back