Battery Tender 2 ft Ring Terminal Cable

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1986VmaxRider

Reaction score
Hi . rebuilding a VMAX and had removed the cable harness. Down to a couple of connections which I want to be sure of proper connection before turning on the ignition.
First is the Battery Tender 2 ft Ring Terminal Cable. It has a red and black ring for connection. Where is the proper location to connect them to. I believe the red to the postive of the Battery but unsure of the black wire. Anyone have a good pic of the location of the two wires? Also, does anyone use this and what is a good device to connect to this? Thanks Think for trickle charge while in garage maybe.

Second is the small thin gage single black wire with ring terminal that is on the right side. Appears to go to the chassis somewhere near right footpeg or near threaded oil cap. Unsure of which bolt to remove to replace at the same location. I am not referring to the thick gage black wire that is the direct connect to the negative of the battery.
If anyone has a picture of this, would appreciate also.

Thanks

Jack

Ther battery tender cables can go directly to the battery terminals. As an option, you can also place the positive terminal on the starter solenoid. I did that thinking the current would have to go thru the main fuse. Not sure if I'm correct in that thinking or not.

Not sure about the thin black wire. I know the thick gauge black wire goes to the main engine ground right by the oil cap. Maybe someone else can chime in on this.

i don't have any pics but the battery tender rings can goto the positive and negative terminals of the battery. the batter tender junior is an excellent choice as well.

as far as that negative i believe it goes to the bolt near the oil cap as noted, there should be other grounds going there too.

mike, why did you worry about the fuse? i've never seen pigtails without a 5 or 7a fuse in them?

Mike, the tender would not be protected by the main fuse whether you hook it to the battery or starter relay. It would have to tie into the main fuse leg after the main fuse. I believe the tender is fused but could be wrong...my old one was. The starter relay and starter motor are not protected by a fuse.

Mike, the tender would not be protected by the main fuse whether you hook it to the battery or starter relay. It would have to tie into the main fuse leg after the main fuse. I believe the tender is fused but could be wrong...my old one was. The starter relay and starter motor are not protected by a fuse.

Thanks Mark, I wasn't sure about that or not.
My old tender lead was not fused. The PO only did one mod to the bike and that was add tails for a battery tender. He had it come out in front of the battery box and it melted on the exhaust.

I bought a new tender harness from the local bike shop for a few bucks. The new one is fused and I installed it on the solenoid thinking it couldn't hurt and maybe the main fuse could add some additional protection. Guess not.

Appreciate the feedback to all. Thanks.
My Battery tender does have a fuse, a 3A fuse.
My perplexity on the ground wire for the Battery tender is that it did not appear to have the space to reach across to the negative terminal when the positive terminal is attached to the battery. Thanks again to all.
Will look into a Batter Tender Junior for future use.

Appreciate the feedback to all. Thanks.
My Battery tender does have a fuse, a 3A fuse.
My perplexity on the ground wire for the Battery tender is that it did not appear to have the space to reach across to the negative terminal when the positive terminal is attached to the battery. Thanks again to all.
Will look into a Batter Tender Junior for future use.

the wires should be able to pull apart another few inches so they will reach.

Back