BBQ paint for the engine?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffrimerman

Reaction score
I bought some VHT engine paint in the spray can, but I want to just touch up some spots. I was thinking of spraying it into a small dish and then using a brush to touch up, but what about bbq paint that is made for a brush. Has anyone tried that on the engine. I'm thinking the spray can might be thin to use a brush, but the bbq paint might be more ideal. Any input would be appreciated.

There are a whole host of colours available for engines and frankly you really aren't restricted to VHT which is more commonly used on high heat areas as the title suggests, exhaust manifolds etc. My best choice would be a satin black finish but at the end of the day it's your bike and your choice.

Chris.

Never seen BBQ paint in gloss, only flat. It wouldn't look good on a motor IMO. I just painted an expansion chamber with it on Monday, this is how it turns out.

The white was done with a HVLP gun and single stage Dupont Centari. My first go around with a spray gun. Not perfect but better than a pile of rust as it was before.

As far as VHT paint goes, I've heard good things about the caliper paint vs. the engine paint. Caliper paint is rated at a higher temp (900 IIRC) versus engine paint which is 500 or 600. Supposedly has a high resitance to chemicals also. I did a motor with VHT caliper paint a week or so ago. After spraying I baked it in the oven. I haven't put it in service yet so I can attest to durability. As far as spray quality goes, I found the VHT to go on pretty nice compared to most other rattle cans I've used.

I just painted my motor with caliper paint spraying it. It's glossy and would prob apply with a brush descent and match pretty close with OEM color.

Yeah, if it isn't chemical resistant then I would avoid that. Caliper paint might be a good idea if it's just slightly thicker to apply with a brush. I can always try the VHT and see how it goes. For sure it's designed for chemicals, and same with caliper paint. If it can resist hydrolic fluid then it must be good.

Do you guys have an idea of how hot does the engine get on the outside wall? Not that much. If coolant temp averages 90ish?C the engine outer wall will be significantly lower unless you are sitting on a non aerated place where it will be close. I wouldn't bother using special heat paints... I used 2K paint with great results and any color code can be achieved as per RAL color or similar tables...

Caliper paint is rated 500 degrees just like engine paint and they sell a self leveling brush on kind. I think they had semi gloss also. It also says it is resistant to automotive chemicals so I'm sure that includes gas and brake fluid. My current engine paint came right off with brake fluid. I could tell it was touched up before and I'm thinking with sub standard paint.

Looks like caliper paint is the way to go. Will be doing my 97 soon. All 97's (and 96 or 98 also, can't remember which) have terrible engine and fork leg paint.

Using those paints probably the engine melts prior to the paint peeling off... LOL

I can't find any brush on caliper paint that is sold with just the paint. I see kits for $20, but not just the can of paint. I wonder if the calipers spray is thicker than the engine spray paint. I can do what I was originally going to do and spray into a little bowl and use a brush. I just wanted what might be a thicker paint for the touch up areas.

>> Is there a difference between the brake caliper paint and the engine paint???

There is absolutely no difference in the formula. The only difference between kits is volume. The G2? High Temperature Engine Paint System Set contains more paint and therefore more reactor than the G2? High Temperature Brake Caliper Paint System Set. Other than that it is the exact same formula, same gloss, same self-leveling qualities and same heat resistance.

This was on the G2 website. So unless I get the brush on caliper paint, might as well use the engine paint from the spray can.

Back