Beat to death topic... front end clunk

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willybeen

Reaction score
Ok, ive searched and searched, and I guess before tearing it all apart Id like to see if somebody has experienced the same thing that I'm experiencing

The bike is a 99 vmax with 24k miles on it.

It feels great on flat roads and brakes are solid, no clunks or anything.

However, at any speed faster than 2 mph if i hit a speed bump there is a horrendous clunk as the suspension rebounds. (On the way back down)

If I go over a hill and the front end comes unweighted it does the same thing. I'm just concerned at 60 mph its going to come apart on me. :lol:

To be honest, if feels like the radiator is lifting up 6 inches and dropping back into place, thats what the clunk feels like through the bars, but under inspection, everything is nice and tight as it should be.

Any ideas of where to start?

Thanks a lot

Wjb

How's the fluid level? I'd start there. Pull the spacers, springs and washers and fully collapse the forks. Then measure the levels.
Steve-o

As for the fluid levels..... I've never touched the forks... is there a video on how to approach that process?

Also check you motor mounts......I've seen a loose one in the front make that kind of noise.

As for the fluid levels..... I've never touched the forks... is there a video on how to approach that process?
The service manual covers this ok.,It can be downloaded free. Just make sure you raise the front wheel off the ground to completly unload the springs before taking the the top fork caps off. Get rid of the air if you use any, before taking it apart.
More info needeed. Did this just start happening after being ok? Do the bars shake when you hit a bump in the road at speed? I'm thinking bottom out, if no shake.
Steve-o

Last edited:
Also are you sure it's coming from the front end? Mine had this big clunk too, but it came from the brand new Progressive 440 rear shocks I mounted in place of the OEM items..

I just thought that was the way they were, so ignored it.

I think that my 96 max is having the very same issue yours is...:damn angry:
and why I'm at it, I just watched that vid. I can now fix the low speed wobble.. sweet:punk:

Might be loose brake pads moving? try to do that while you brake to see if it still persists...

Back