Beautiful Work by Sandy Kosman

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newklear

Reaction score
Got my wheel back from Sandy Kosman who modified it to accept a radial. The welds are "flawless", according to Norm at Rochester Motorsports.

Norm is mounting Michelin Pilot Road 4's with a 180/55/17 on the rear. He thinks that a 190 MIGHT fit but based on his measurements of the wheel and the UFO Performance Products swing-arm, he thought that the 180 was the way to go.

Thanks to Sandy for his outstanding workmanship!

Looking forward to my "new" old bike being completed in a few days!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 169
Can you post a few more pictures... all around the wheel...

And do have there number... thanks - I like it.... how much do it cost if don't mind..

This is the only other one that I have.......

Cost including shipping west coast to east coast was $645.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 118
No doubt it's a good deal for the price. But, still not the full advantages of a lightweight aftermarket wheel.

I would love to have a set of Sean's wheels, but I cannot justify buying them when they about equal the fair-market value of my bike on the local scene. So, I have a Kosman rear & a stock front. Still the #1 improvement (switching to radial tires) in my bike in 21 years of ownership. :punk:

No doubt it's a good deal for the price. But, still not the full advantages of a lightweight aftermarket wheel.

Another advantage to the aftermarket wheels is that it does open things up if you want a new look as well.

I do love the look of the 85 year front wheels, and I would consider using an 85 year, if I could get it machines to look a lot closer to the front, but with that included in the price, I might as well get a good aftermarket one. Besides, where as i will eventually swap to chain, aftermarket is the way to go anyways. I do like the look of these HD wheels, and something with this look would be really nice on a V-max I feel.

2012-H-D-Switchback-FWhl.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 22
Thats the second "best mod I ever did" testmonial I've gotten in a week regarding the Kosman mod... Garrett was the other guy. He did say he might have gone to a 18 if he was to do it again. Does anyone have experience with that and if so, what width would fit with a stock swingarm?

I have a modded vrod rear wheel in mine & run a 180/55-18 in the stock swing-arm...I'd be hard pressed to go any wider, but a 190 might be coaxed in there...
photo (12).jpg

The 180 might make the bike feel easier in the curves. At least that's what I felt when switching from 190/50 to 180/55

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Thats the second "best mod I ever did" testmonial I've gotten in a week regarding the Kosman mod... Garrett was the other guy. He did say he might have gone to a 18 if he was to do it again. Does anyone have experience with that and if so, what width would fit with a stock swingarm?

i'm not sure a kosman 18 would fit with a 180 due to offset, no way a 190 would.

i'd vote for a 170 on an 18" or a 180 on a 17" rim on a stock swingarm would be good.

i'd probably do a 17" again now seeing a lot of the tire choices they are just so damn limited. I'd def consider a venture rear diff tho.

Yeah...mine had quite a bit of offset...had to do the pivot bolt shift thingy to make it look 1/2 way decent (still need to do something with the shocks to hide it better). It does, however, handle VERY well with my current set-up...

I let Kosman widen a 85 front wheel 1" which they did a good job on the weld and the clean up. There are some small pits in the welds and the wheel leaks air, not enough to fuss about. I use Chrome Pro to chrome it for me. Wheel looks good, and Radial tires fit the bill.
I had Wider Wheels to make me a three spoke Rear wheel 17" and it does well. I run the 180-55 or the 170-60. I do like the 170 better for the curves. 2500 is about the life of the rear.

Did you try a new valve stem? I tried an aftermarket valve stem, and apparently the tire store had a bad shipment, as the tire tech had to break-down the wheel/tire 3X before we got one that didn't leak.

I let Kosman widen a 85 front wheel 1" which they did a good job on the weld and the clean up. There are some small pits in the welds and the wheel leaks air, not enough to fuss about. I use Chrome Pro to chrome it for me. Wheel looks good, and Radial tires fit the bill.
I had Wider Wheels to make me a three spoke Rear wheel 17" and it does well. I run the 180-55 or the 170-60. I do like the 170 better for the curves. 2500 is about the life of the rear.

Back