BellyPan vs. Lowering

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karmakatt

Reaction score
Isn't one of the reasons to lower your ride to give that certain cool look?? If you add a BellyPan won't you be only mm's off the road?? Doesn't the right Pan give your bike a "lowered" look simply by it's design? I have a few ideas one of which is too lower the rear and possibly the front. But, I think the right Pan really brings a Max to life. Any suggestions??

There's several ways to lower the Vmax and a couple reasons for doing so. IMO the best reason to alter the height of the bike is performance. I lowered my front forks 2" internally and left the rear at 13" which, for me, made it a little better cornering with out sacrificing high speed stability. I just had my swingarm extended 3"/ added 18" radials which made turn-in much quicker so I am going to take a inch back in the forks to add more high speed stability.
You can also lower by using lower shocks (rear), lower the forks in the triple tree, and/ or add 17" wheels to lower it to get a sweet lowered look
The belly pan does give the illusion of a lower bike and if done right really enhances the lower looking stance. If you add any combination of above suspension mods and/or smaller wheels you want to be mindful of the pan when going over steep curbs/ bumps and though potholes.
Look around at other forum members on here and you'll see that there are numerous excellant examples of belly pans on any type of suspension/ tire setups that you can garner ideas from. Good luck with your build and feel free to find pictures of setups that you like and or belly pans that you want to try.

I had mine lowered at one time using Progressive shocks rear and re-spring with internal lowering blocks front.

Looked great, didn't really care for the ground clearance issues with the stock pegs when ridden aggresively in the twisties, but if not on the twisties it was just fine.

I ended up going back with stock heigth and this Fatmax bellypan, and have had no clearance issues.

The pics in the grass are a little decieving, the grass is really tall.

I don't think belly pan AND lowering would be a good combo if ridden in the corners much and would really have to watch out for dip, transitions and speed bumps etc.

Attachments

• DSC04083.jpg
    DSC04083.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC04082.jpg
    DSC04082.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC04085.jpg
    DSC04085.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC04079.jpg
    DSC04079.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 61
Thanks for the advice guys.. I'd rather not have to do things twice..
Rusty, those pics you added.. Man, those are some sweet lines.. You have a good eye.. The lines flow so well.. I've noticed that a Pan can really complement a look with the right shape and size. Did you add your Pan later on in your design?? I really like your Tail. That's Classey!!

Thanks for the advice guys.. I'd rather not have to do things twice..
Rusty, those pics you added.. Man, those are some sweet lines.. You have a good eye.. The lines flow so well.. I've noticed that a Pan can really complement a look with the right shape and size. Did you add your Pan later on in your design?? I really like your Tail. That's Classey!!

Thanks!

This is what it used to look like in different stages...

The scoops, headlight, exhaust and wheels came first.

The tail came before the rest of the body work.

The last stage was redoing ALL the painted body work at one time with aftermarket pieces to go with the tail I already had and the orange paint.

The big motor came last due to blowing up the tranny right after doing the paint...

I threw in the snake for free..

Attachments

• 100_1921.jpg
    100_1921.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC01377.jpg
    DSC01377.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC02628.jpg
    DSC02628.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 32
  • vmaxrs1.jpg
    vmaxrs1.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC00548.JPG
    DSC00548.JPG
    260.5 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC00637.jpg
    DSC00637.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC00589.jpg
    DSC00589.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC00610.jpg
    DSC00610.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 31
Hey Rusty,
I may be new at this but I dont think that you were supposed to use a real snake for a BarSnake!! How'd you get that thing inside a 1" or 7/8" diameter Bar??
Hehe

Seriously though. That's a real classy ride. I'll have a real good look at your steps.. It's amazing what some of you guys end up with. I'm still stuck on how great the scoops and tank as well as the light and shield all go together. That's exactly what I'd shoot for. Cool pieces that fit into the big picture rather than something that has a "slapped" on look.. It really represents that saying "it's a sum of it's whole". This place really is the centre of Vmax heaven!!

Seriously though. That's a real classy ride. I'll have a real good look at your steps.. It's amazing what some of you guys end up with. I'm still stuck on how great the scoops and tank as well as the light and shield all go together. That's exactly what I'd shoot for. Cool pieces that fit into the big picture rather than something that has a "slapped" on look.. It really represents that saying "it's a sum of it's whole". This place really is the centre of Vmax heaven!!

I owe it all to this great forum and the advice and critique of the guys on here. It would never have come together otherwise.
It took a LOT of patience and perseverance. Along with a very understanding wife and 8 years of nickle and dimeing it a little at a time.

I don't think belly pan AND lowering would be a good combo if ridden in the corners much and would really have to watch out for dip, transitions and speed bumps etc.

+1!!! Toxic is about as low as a Max can go and the belly pan does have the annoying habit of dragging the ground when cornering hard. :bang head: Am actually working on a new project with Toxic that might be cool or might not depending on how things turn out.

On '99 I had the same pan as Rusty (a Fatmax), 11 1/2" Progressive rears, stock front end and 17" radials....there was enough clearance if I was careful....certainly not an abundance of clearance, but enough. It handled like it was on rails! :clapping:

100_2196.jpg

On '99 I had the same pan as Rusty (a Fatmax), 11 1/2" Progressive rears, stock front end and 17" radials....there was enough clearance if I was careful....certainly not an abundance of clearance, but enough. It handled like it was on rails! :clapping:

100_2196.jpg

Classy looking bike Danny

Thanks for the Pic Dan! It's great to see such an assortment of rides.. The right Pans on the right bikes sure do look good!! I was thinking going 11 1/2 on the rear.. Just need to prioritize.. ;-)
If there wasn't such a huge selection of monkey parts this would be a whole lot easier. :)

Classy looking bike Danny

Thanks Rusty! :worthy:

Thanks for the Pic Dan! It's great to see such an assortment of rides.. The right Pans on the right bikes sure do look good!! I was thinking going 11 1/2 on the rear.. Just need to prioritize.. ;-)
If there wasn't such a huge selection of monkey parts this would be a whole lot easier. :)

If it was easy Karmal....everyone would do it!! :eusa_dance:

Take a look at COPRUNNERS albums for a slightly different approach to modding an '06, and here's a smaller Exactrep bellypan that I put on my '06....and some other stuff! :biglaugh:

Attachments

• 100_2063.jpg
    100_2063.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 29
Here is a pic of my bike that has been lowered by 1.5 inches front and back and has a belly pan...more of a chin than a pan. I found that when I lowered the bike it was mostly noticeable at the rear wheel (the gap disappeared) and it gave the bike a longer look. By installing the pan it just added to that longer/lower look I was going for. Yes my bike is in the basement - for the winter- my wife loves me:punk:

Attachments

• IMG_1224.jpg
    IMG_1224.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1226.jpg
    IMG_1226.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Then there's the mud/bison/cowcatcher variety of bellypan - not pretty, but effective!:eusa_dance:

Attachments

• P1010155.jpg
    P1010155.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 29
Mine has a Exactrep spoiler, suspension lowered 1" in the back and front and front has a lower profile tire, probably about another 1/2" lower.

Mike

Attachments

• vmax2012-2.jpg
    vmax2012-2.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 22
  • vmax2012-1.jpg
    vmax2012-1.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 21
Back