Best 1/4 mile time on a stock gen 2?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10.3 with a .290 rt. I think at my weight and a few weekends at the track and I could get into the nines.

I never raced mine bone stock. As soon as it was broken in I modded it then ran it.

With my best ET of 9.87 I only had $1000 worth of mods though.

Hey Twisted, the reaction time does not come into play under normal circumstances at the track... Your time does not start until you trip the start light (front wheel) you could sit there for 10 seconds and your time would still be the same (not 10 sec, added)
JFYI

When starting off at the track, do not worry about leaving on a perfect light, just leave when you see green... On the flip side, if you redlight (leave early, your time does not get better!)

In that case A 9.99 is going to be a little tuffer then I thought:bang head::bang head::bang head: But I still think I could have launched it harder, guess thats the price you pay when you go once every 14 years:confused2:

Its all good..:)
Its not easy going fast... at least the last 10% potential out of a bike... Not easy at all

Right trying to get the last umph out of the bike is the hardest part. So if you start with something that is powerful to begin with you can pull great numbers to start and then work yourself down from there.

For me, 11 seconds and being closer to the 10 second mark is great on a stock bike, but if I could start off in the low 10's or 10 flat and finesse my way into the 9's that would be even better on a stock bike!

Todd

Hey Twisted, the reaction time does not come into play under normal circumstances at the track...

Try telling that to the guy in the other lane next to you, that just cut a near-perfect light, when you get to the other end of the track.... :biglaugh: (your day is still over)
(and yes, I know you meant during the qualifying runs -vs- the actual race runs)

Its not easy going fast...

Aw, mush. Somebody's gotta do it. Might as well be us Maxxers. Right? :rofl_200:

There is a way to improve your ET (but increse your reaction time. You don't go any quicker, but your et will be lower. When you roll in, after the first stage light, roll very slow so you can stage where the second light FIRST goes on. This gives you a very small "run" at the start light which will lower your ET. Not a lot, but if your real close to a time you want, it can make a difference. When they first started bracket racing, I used to stage shallow and get my lowest et, then during the racing I would stage deep to add a few ticks to the et, but not effect the "win".

Now a days that's not really nessary because you set your own dial in- It doesn't matter what your ET is until the racing starts.

One thing to be real careful of though- if you go in real shallow, be real careful you don't roll back any-you can red light by rolling back out of the box just like leaving early.

"Deep Staging" during many races is an automatic red. Make sure you check the rules for that race if you decide to do that.

Sean

I recently bought a Gen 2 and want to get into drag racing next season. Full disclosure: The bike is not stock as it has a midpipe and aftermarket mufflers. I put an app on Android phone that uses GPS to track 1/4 mile times and I have been running in the mid to low 10's with my best time a 10.0. I do not understand all the drag strip terms like ET and such and I'm guessing if I were running under drag strip conditions, my times would not be as good as they are they I'm running now. Opinions welcomed.

Once you get your 2nd light, each 2" will cost you .01 in ET. Rough estimate. Your RT will be better, but ET will suffer without that rolling start.

Leave on the last yellow and you'll be alright.

I wouldn't worry about trying to get that extra 1 or two hundredths out of the bike. If heads up, maybe, but for bracket racing? no. Main thing is to do every thing exactly the same every time when doing burnouts, staging, and the launch. Make the bike as consistent as you can. Some people sandbag the hell out of their rides.
So when they catch you, they just back off the throttle just enough to stay ahead. I don't know about down there, but in the circles I run with that's considered chicken shit racing, and you'll loose respect.

I once had a guy try that with me. He was sandbagging all day, so I knew nothing would change when we met up. I put an extra 25hp into the nitrous then the fin began. I was running pretty much within a few thousandths of my ET, so I was banking on him coming around, like he was with the other riders. Except this time, I had a little more hp. I knew I was going to break out, but was hoping Jr. would keep up what he had been doing. Sure enough he did and I broke out, except he did as well and to come around me, he broke out of his dial in by more. I advance to the semi, he to his trailer. Didn't do me any good though, I lit up the red in the next round. :(

Leave on the last yellow and you'll be alright.

I wouldn't worry about trying to get that extra 1 or two hundredths out of the bike. If heads up, maybe, but for bracket racing? no. Main thing is to do every thing exactly the same every time when doing burnouts, staging, and the launch. Make the bike as consistent as you can. Some people sandbag the hell out of their rides.
So when they catch you, they just back off the throttle just enough to stay ahead. I don't know about down there, but in the circles I run with that's considered chicken shit racing, and you'll loose respect.

I once had a guy try that with me. He was sandbagging all day, so I knew nothing would change when we met up. I put an extra 25hp into the nitrous then the fin began. I was running pretty much within a few thousandths of my ET, so I was banking on him coming around, like he was with the other riders. Except this time, I had a little more hp. I knew I was going to break out, but was hoping Jr. would keep up what he had been doing. Sure enough he did and I broke out, except he did as well and to come around me, he broke out of his dial in by more. I advance to the semi, he to his trailer. Didn't do me any good though, I lit up the red in the next round. :(

Thats a good story. LOL.

Its all about having fun, and having fun putting jr on the trailer.... that must have been a big grin on your face lol. :biglaugh:

Todd

Latest posts

Back