Best 4-2 exhaust system

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Igoryane

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I've got 2013 stock Vmax and I'd like to get rid of the cat, replace exhaust and get a flash from Tim.
My friend had the 4-2-1 Ufo Thundermax installed and I think it sounded amazing, but it might be too loud for the city.

I guess, options are:
1. Hindle (mid pipe and slip ons)
I've read somewhere about Hindle mid pipe quality issues (problem with welds ?). I wonder if that's true?
Should i consider their full 4-2-1 system? Would be a similar cost as 2 slip ons and midpipe.

2. Akrapovic (mid pipe + slip ons)
They seem like high quality, but pricey.

3. maybe Delkevic slip on + Akrapovic mid pipe?

I like V&H slipons, but they're discontinued now.
I've seen Vmax with VooDoo, but i think they're too loud and i am not a big fan of the looks.

What is the best choice in terms of Sound/Performance?
It's really hard to judge about the sound quality from youtube videos maybe someone had experience with both Hindle and Akrapovic?
I know Tim doesn't have a flash for Delkevic, but i think these look like good quality slip ons.

Also, second question - what else do i need to install?
Do I need AIS system plugs? Should I do the air intake mod? What do I do with O2 sensor?

I've got Hindle options as well as Voodoo options. The Hindle is the only full system available. We've also got a few non-Hindle muffler options. The full system is the best for getting the most power out of it.

Depends how much you are willing to spend. Ive installed Hindle 4-2, 4-2-1 systems more than twice each. Sean is right. Hindle 4-2-1, you will get the most HP and Torque. The 4-2 makes a little less. Both systems do the job. However, Hindle's quality is hit or miss. Yes, Ive had (2) 4-2-1 that need to be re-welded. Y's leaked in the center. When the head pipes heat up, they look like sh!t. Both times, I had them Ceramic coated. I bought ALL of my systems from Tim. What's nice about the Hindle, is that you can play with other manufacturers mufflers. Still, I had a custom stealth titanium muffler built by Steve at Hindle Canada to get my 2016 as quiet as possible. I do NOT like any loud obnoxious bikes. I just dyno'd. I took the quiet muffler off and guess how much HP I gained? .89. Ill retype it again. .89. NOT even 1 HP. So why the sh!t would you want a loud pipe?

Akropovic is buy far the BEST quality I have ever seen. Arrow is right there with them. Ok, Tsukigi is VERY nice to. Not sure if Arrow is making them for the Vmax. I just installed a 4-2 Hindle on a friends bike last night. 4.5 hours later, I finally got it to fit. So careful not to scratch his bike. I was freakin so pissed. They welded it wrong. My 09, I bought one of the first Akropovic. After removing the OEM system, I put it on in 30 minutes. But it 2K.

Depends how much you are willing to spend. Ive installed Hindle 4-2, 4-2-1 systems more than twice each. Sean is right. Hindle 4-2-1, you will get the most HP and Torque. The 4-2 makes a little less. Both systems do the job. However, Hindle's quality is hit or miss. Yes, Ive had (2) 4-2-1 that need to be re-welded. Y's leaked in the center. When the head pipes heat up, they look like sh!t. Both times, I had them Ceramic coated. I bought ALL of my systems from Tim. What's nice about the Hindle, is that you can play with other manufacturers mufflers. Still, I had a custom stealth titanium muffler built by Steve at Hindle Canada to get my 2016 as quiet as possible. I do NOT like any loud obnoxious bikes. I just dyno'd. I took the quiet muffler off and guess how much HP I gained? .89. Ill retype it again. .89. NOT even 1 HP. So why the sh!t would you want a loud pipe?

Akropovic is buy far the BEST quality I have ever seen. Arrow is right there with them. Ok, Tsukigi is VERY nice to. Not sure if Arrow is making them for the Vmax. I just installed a 4-2 Hindle on a friends bike last night. 4.5 hours later, I finally got it to fit. So careful not to scratch his bike. I was freakin so pissed. They welded it wrong. My 09, I bought one of the first Akropovic. After removing the OEM system, I put it on in 30 minutes. But it 2K.

+1 on all of that.

I'd also add that the V&H mufflers will most likely develop cracks over time, it's happened to a lot of owners. I mention that because you can still find systems popping up here and there but I would avoid them.

To me the Delkevic systems https://delkevic.com/motorcycles/yamaha/2009-models/v-max-1700/ seems to be a clear winner on price and muffler choice. I have no knowledge of their long time durability, but have not heard of any fitment problems.

As far as performance they are all very close when you talk about peak HP. I think the Akrapovic has a slight edge. The different pipes do have slightly different power characteristics, for example the X-Pipe (4-1-2) has a little better low end TQ.

To me though any system that fits well would be on my list if I were currently looking. Then it would come down to looks and sound. If I wanted maximum performance then the only choice would be the Hindle 4-2-1.

Thanks for all the replies guys.
I was also in touch with Tim Nash with the same question, i'll quote him here:
The Hindle 4 into 1 makes the most power. I have a tune for it. I don’t sell the Thundermax but I have a tune that will work with it. It is very loud compared to the Hindle 4 into 1. The best sounding 4 into 2 is the Vance and Hinds CS1 but they blow out and are very easy to scratch. Akro is the best made system but the sound is so-so. The Hindle system is a good compromise of sound and performance but is not made that great. They will last but the welds leave something to be desired visually

It's sad that Hindle pipes are of a low quality.
Is there an option of installing Akro mid pipe and Hindle muffler or they will not work together?
Another option is to get a mid pipe installed and keep stock mufflers - any experience with that?

I looked at Delkevic again and some of them are actually including the mid pipe as well!
https://delkevic.com/mini-8-carbon-fiber-round-muffler-to-fit-v-max-1700-2009-2019/

Seriously considering their system now. The sound is more of Akro system though:

Interesting, the comments about the CS1 from Vance & Hines. I was not impressed with the sound of mine. The angled lines aren't terrible but wouldn't be my first choice. They were on the bike when I bought it. Replaced it with a Maxflow dual meg. Much deeper note at idle, definitely louder. And I was not looking forward to changing the packing in the silencers. Eight or so rivets to drill to get the baffle out? It's like they never meant to for it to be repacked. As far as power is concerned, a dyno sheet came with the purchase. V&H with a pcv/autotune was good for 185hp/124tq somewhere down in Florida. It had issues with bogging at low rpms that has since been corrected with a Nash flash.

Here's a hindle system with our Muscle muffler.

Attachments

• IMG_20190608_094054.jpg
    IMG_20190608_094054.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 62
I have the 14"oval carbon fiber Delks. I believe same think DeathPulse is using. Yep, it includes the mid-pipe. Tim will tell you to use (as I recall) the Holeshot 4:2 tune, feeling the Delk is extremely similar. Quality and fit was fine. Value / dollar is exceptional. I would (and did) Tim's airbox mod at the same time, as it's easy and affects what tune you get.

The Delks are available with a longer (really deeper) baffle insert in case you find it too loud. I did not and didn't even consider installing them even though I bought them too. It's certainly not stock, but I can't see a cop hassling you over it. Nor do I get glares from my neighbors. I suggest you buy it without it, and if you're convinced you need the extra baffle let me know.

I can say this: While it sounds a lot better, I don't have the perfect sound signature. Right tone and loudness, just wrong impulse. I was hoping for an SBC like burble, and the 4:2 doesn't give you that. It may not be possible, but my old VFR sounded right, so... I guess I wish I could have heard a 4:1 first. On the other hand, did I mention that cost of these things?

Finally, had I been willing to spend more money I would have looked hard at the Akro midpipe plus stock mufflers.

Here is a Youtube sound clip. They are much louder than that. Poor iPhone Mic I suppose.

Let me know if I can help...

Last edited:
Here is a video of me riding with a Hindle 4-2. Video is kinda long but you can get an idea of what it sounds like. It has some sweet spots where it really sounds nice.....wide open is a little raspy. They are the Competition baffles.

Short clip.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back