Best compact horn alternate?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I installed a Bad Boy WOLO horn last week. It is definitely larger than the stock horn so I have mine in place of the plastic cover below the carbs on the left side. The only thing I would change about it were I to do it again would be to get the one that has a chrome finish. It would definitely blend in better with the bike that way. Many other people have done the same mod here on the forum (I actually bought my horn from a forum member).

Looks just like the setup fire-medic has in this thread http://vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=28310&highlight=wolo

For a true compact horn setup I know I Ninjaneer had some compact horns on his bike as well as a larger one when I saw it at the FL tech day. I don't recall what brand it was at this point however, only that he picked it up on Amazon.com for a fairly low price.

I tucked mine in where the front coils were (after my COP upgrade)
you can't see it but you sure can hear it...

attachment.php

Yea I know fire metic has is mounted there but I like the looks of the plastic covers there.. I don't have cops and not gonna be able to afford them anytime soon. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• IMG_1532.jpg
    IMG_1532.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 29
I bought one similar, It's a big heavy thing thats not that loud.Also makes the most embarrassing noise you ever heard. I still have it but I won't re sell it, because It's a real peace of crap.:rofl_200:

AhahHahahahahahha that's a big 10-4. What about dual mount horns. I know someone on here put them on from a different bike....

I have dual mount horns from a 2002 Yamaha road star.They sound great & are loud enough for surface streets.But are totally useless on the freeway.To much wind to hear them.:confused2:

Found a set how hard are these to install on the bike? Make a bracket and splice wires is about it?

Here is the thread w/more info & better pics of where I mounted my WOLO Bad Boy. I thought about getting the chrome-looking one but decided I would rather have the more-subtle looks of the black one, plus, w/the perforated bracket painted black w/ the same engine paint, the horn does tend to blend-in a bit more.

Don't even try to skimp by leaving-out the relay! You need the relay to make it loud and to allow it enough juice to function correctly.

The top of the compressor would be a great place to use a triple tuning fork badge! Rid yourself of the butch comic book bad-boy stickie it comes-with stock.

That Screaming Banshee looks like the disassembled Bad Boy w/a steel mounting strap for the horn volute, another option if you don't want the complete unit hanging off the side of the engine. You could hide the compressor where the coils were if you have COP's, & place the volute (the trumpet) wherever you wished. Just remember, the more-exposed it is, the easier the sound will travel unimpeded, and be able to make it to the ears of the driver cutting you off.

http://vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=28419&highlight=horn

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 117
Here is a WebBikeWorld discussion on setting up dual horns, not sure if it will help you Matt but it seemed like good enough advice. He links a eastern beaver dual horn wiring harness with a relay but that link in not good as of today. I read somewhere that a relay added to even factory horns greatly increased their output, so maybe you could just wire in a relay for now?
My brother used a car horn (~$18 for Advanced Auto) that was much louder than my stock horn... maybe you could wire up 2 of those horns (high & low) with a relay.

The Bad Boy horn is a joke without a relay, it actually makes a more pathetic noise than the stock "meeper." However once you hook the relay up roll it out of your garage before you test it!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Split-Screa...ies&hash=item416ac4c93e&vxp=mtr#ht_703wt_1101

I recently put this horn on Shala's Honda due to space restrictions. It still has the full size trumpet section, but the air pump part can hide separately. It is LOUD.

This looks like a good idea. I have pulled apart my Stebel to do the same thing, but am waiting for my bike to come back from crash repairer so I can mount it ... before I get into another dumb-ass fender bender.

I dislike the mounting point next to the carby's, which is just an aesthetic thing. It's not worth putting aesthetics before safety, so I think next to the carby's is the easiest mounting point, for sure.

I actually got my pathetic horn working again lol. But I do like the dual mount horns. I under stand wolo, stebel, and badboy are F@#$ in loud but I really have no where on my bike to mount it that I like. There just so bulky. Maybe the split one is better but unless I see a good mounting point other than under carbs its a no go for me.. ps my saftey it my kerker with comp baffle!

Pair of car horns mounted in the engine guards AND fed by a fused relay straight from the battery. Loud as any big car - plenty enough, and cheap as chips.

I wonder if it would be possible to mount the "bad boy" horn under the bike? Between the pipes, under the oil pan and possibly make a bracket that would allow it to pivot out of the way for oil changes? Or would ground clearance/heat be an issue? Just thinkin' out loud.....

I'd keep it off the ground, and pointed directly ahead, as horns are recommended to be mounted.
I believe the Wolo can be separated into two pieces(horn, compressor), so this increases the mounting options.
Should be enough room high and between the forks, for the horn section, with use of a custom made bracket.
My OEM horn fits well in this spot, plenty of room to spare.
Cheers!

Attachments

• P1010918.jpg
    P1010918.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 33
  • P1010919.jpg
    P1010919.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 33
Any of these horns waterproof? Road grime, spray and rain all would seem to ruin the horns quickly if mounted facing forward and/or mounted low.

Back