Best method for installing engine side covers/gaskets

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1986vmonster

Reaction score
Hello Fellow VMAX Enthusiasts!!

I am pretty much finished installing a 92 engine in my 86 VMAX. Just have to swap out the engine covers to chrome ones I have from the blown engine and I just wanted to see if anyone had any good advice on how to install the gaskets and so forth to do it right the first time with out any leaks???:ummm:

Plus I had to swap out the flywheels and stator/pick up for the 86 electronics.

Anyhow, any good advice would be much appreciated :punk:. I hope to have this monster on the road by April 2015 at the latest.

Other misc work needs to be done as well. Carb to intake boot has cracks on left rear cylinder which is a possibility on why the old engine completely seized. Running way too lean on that one!! New tires! Diff oil!! Fork oil!!

Thanks in advance!!!

The only thing I would do is to check that the mating face of the cover(s) are flat and haven't distorted following the chroming.

Assuming they are then all it needs is the gaskets fitted and the retainers torqued in a cross pattern (as you would do a cylinder head) to ensure they pull down evenly.

I've never needed to use any jointing compound.

+ make sure that both faces are totally clean with no trace of old gasket left behind. I use a scraper to ensure the faces are spotless.

We use the 3M rubber finger wheels in a dotco to clean the gasket surfaces. Complete cleaning of all the old material is required. A little silicon when you put the sensor grommets into the stator cover to assist in sealing.

Fantastic! Thank you all for your advice. I look forward to finishing this beast and posting lots of pictures. She is a real beauty. Just hope it runs as good as it looks...:punk:

I will tear the old motor down to see what failed to cause such a nasty seize. Might have some gruesome pictures in the near future to share of melted pistons and particalized bearings... or just a boat anchor. :hitsfan:

Also, Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah!!

Latest posts

Back