Best Sounding Exhaust

Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

mikemax04

Reaction score
It would be nice to be able to hear all the various V-Max pipes out there on this forum. Anybody have a clue how this could be done? Also recording has to be done outside, idle first then progressing to 3-4K or something on that order. New exhaust shoppers would get good idea what to buy or what not to. You just gotta hear these twins.

Attachments

firefly

Reaction score
I'll try to find a way / program then post my findings, I know my canon camera can record short video clips with sound.:new3_ani:
Will keep u posted
firefly
________
Honda RVF400 history

Last edited:

shawn kloker

Reaction score
Of all the systems I have heard I still say that the old nolonger made walker 4-1-2 with 2 1/4 baffles sounds the best.I heard a set today. Then hmf,ufo,This is what I have with 12" cans. Shawn

Redux

Reaction score
Can't really help with the posting of different exhaust systems in a sound file. I AM very pleased with my Supertrapp slip-ons. They were just "ok" until I put on the open endcaps. That deepened the tone and gave it a burble on low RPM decel that is to die for! Plus they were only about $300. :biggrin:

Buster Hymen

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I want to start an "Exhaust Library" and make it a sticky. So send in the picture of your exhaust (describe the size of the can) and load up a WAV sound file with it. Even you guys with stock exhaust or a drilled exhaust. It will be a good reference for others who are thinkg about changing their exhaust.

ratmax

Reaction score
i have made my own exhausts using the std silencers with the collector box cut off,i used 2-1/4 inch pipe which splits into 2 smaller pipes on each side,the cans are capped and a 2-1/4 hole made to take the pipe so that it slides over 1into 2 pipes,i have found that they sound more meaty and it has improved torque.

Buster Hymen

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
ratmax said:
i have made my own exhausts using the std silencers with the collector box cut off,i used 2-1/4 inch pipe which splits into 2 smaller pipes on each side,the cans are capped and a 2-1/4 hole made to take the pipe so that it slides over 1into 2 pipes,i have found that they sound more meaty and it has improved torque.
That sounds like quite an interesting system. I wonder if a 4 into 4 system would work? I don't know anything about exhaust design, so 4 into 4 might be a bad idea. 4 cans might look OK... maybe even an underseat exhaust...:scooter0:

maxtouring

Reaction score
My vote goes to full system Kerker 4-1 Carbon Fiber. That system is loud but oh sooo sweet.

torkezilla

Reaction score
Hi guys
First post here in the new forum. From Portugal, own a modified '96.
Anyway, I remember a while ago there was a japanese site with several wav. files from diferent enhausts. Not sure if it still exists...
I heard a few exhausts on the Vmax and I honestly say my favourite sound is my present setup.
4-2-1 inox headers (originally an Eagle Mach7 from Exactep, uk), fited with a Supertrapp megaphone with no baffle material (but with the baffle still in place) and 20 discs, closed cap.
Sounds like a small block on steroids. Idle is a nasty menacing burble, when you give it WOT on the traffic lights people jump out of their shoes in the sidewalk :)
Just my 2 euro cents
Cheers all

Ricardo Damazio
'96 Vmax Stage7

1FK00

Reaction score
ratmax said:
Got pics?

KRL0215

Reaction score
I know they arent great for performance, but I love the look and sound of Cobra's

Calimus

Reaction score
I take it the cobra's are restrictive? More so then stock? Reason I ask is that in pics, the cobra slashes look horrible to me, but I saw one at the bike shop the other day with them and they looked pretty good in person. So I was thinking about getting a set. But hell, if they are more restrictive then stock, the hell with them.

Not to mention I don't want anything too loud. I live in a very quiet neighborhood and I like it that way.

maleko89

Reaction score
Mark's Performance sound great! Mucho compliments from others.

Of course, Shawn thinks they sound much better than HMF.:eusa_dance:

Zewerr

Reaction score
There's a guy with a race car with a vmax motor in it that autocrosses around here every once in a while. He's running a single 3" system with a flowmaster race muffler. It sounds sweet! Very much like a high revving V-8, at any rpm.

Jayhawk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
torkezilla said:
Anyway, I remember a while ago there was a japanese site with several wav. files from diferent enhausts. Not sure if it still exists...
Here may be the link you are referring to. Hope this helps.

Click here

TheFleshRocket

Reaction score
Jayhawk said:
Here may be the link you are referring to. Hope this helps.

Click here
The best sounding exhaust there, IMO, was the Motomit, and I've never even heard of it before. It's not bad looking either. The stockers weren't bad either--I've never heard a Vmax with stock cans! :lol:

Waylander

Reaction score
You tube has a Collection of vids from the same rally, All sorts of modified Vmaxs and exhausts/ Just search Vmax and they come up as loudest Exhaust 1,2,3,4....