Best tank clean method

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petec

Reaction score
Ok guys I know you have diffrent methods, so how do you clean out your tanks?

Easiest and cheapest method without fumes or harmful chemicals is simply to fill it with white vinegar. Cheap and easy. It will flash rust as well unless you do some sort of coating but a little flash rust is normally not going to be an issue.

I just did my Fazer tank that had sit for 15 years, took my time and may have gone a bit too anal but I'm sure rust won't be a problem in the future. Filled the tank with vinegar for 5 days agitating at least one a day then changed the vinegar waited a day and put some nuts and bolts in and shook. The used por15 following directions exactly. Vinegar is cheap safe and dose the job perfectly. I'm sure there was no rust other than flash but only wanted to only do the carbs once so sealing the tank with por15 seemed cheap insurance.

Easiest and cheapest method without fumes or harmful chemicals is simply to fill it with white vinegar. Cheap and easy. It will flash rust as well unless you do some sort of coating but a little flash rust is normally not going to be an issue.

I used this method and it worked excellent, after it was all washed out I put the tank in front of a furnace vent to get it nice and warm and completely dry, then I sprayed the hell out of the inside with WD40 and shook it around to coat all the inside surfaces and then blew out the excess.. When I fired it up the first time it kinda ran like shit for the first tank then cleared up from there, I also swapped plugs after a couple tanks. Was just messing with the bike today and I took a flashlight and checked the inside of the tank and its still completely rust free. My tank wasn't terrible but there was rust in it and I was constantly getting red dusty residue inside the carbs every time I cleaned them and haven't had a problem since. Thanks again Sean for the tip cause it worked perfectly for me :)

sent from my HTC Rezound using tapatalk

I used white vinegar too and used some phosphoric acid (rust converter) after that. It came out fine.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Back