Best tire life for gen 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tugla

Reaction score
Hi gang.
Looking to find someone who has tried and compared the shinko,me888 and factory battle axe rear tire for the gen 2.....
Ive been using the battleaxe and is good tire but i far wear out the middle before the edges (cuz roads im on) and looking for which tire people found rides best and gets decent tire life.

Thanks.

I have used the Me888 in the rear and gotten 11k miles out of it. This is no burnouts, but some aggressive throttling here and there.

Previously Metzeler didn't make the front in our size, so was still using the me880, and got 6666 miles in the first one, that ran little low. On the second one got 8k miles.

Metzeler finally got the Me888 in our front size and have one coming in this week. I had to go in store at cycle gear, because their website still doesn't show it. Hope get longer front tire life and still have good grip.

Hi gang.
Looking to find someone who has tried and compared the shinko,me888 and factory battle axe rear tire for the gen 2.....
Ive been using the battleaxe and is good tire but i far wear out the middle before the edges (cuz roads im on) and looking for which tire people found rides best and gets decent tire life.

Thanks.
Hi gang.

Thanks.
depending on how you ride, if you’re going long distance riding I’d consider going Darkside, car tires last 4 times longer than motorcycle tires. Just a thought.

Hi gang.

Thanks.
Nothing but Shinkos for me. The 888 and 880 are good for touring but not ideal for my style of riding. The Shinkos are not cheaper than the Battle-axes where I'm from so it's not a matter of $.
I was turned on to the Shinkos here and wouldn't use anything else.

What type of mileage do you get out of Shinkos? How do they compare "mileage-wise" to a Metzler? They are clearly half price. Does that mean they only last half as long?

I prefer the Metzeler Lasertec 110/90-18V or the Bridgestone Battlax BT45V 110/90-18up front for more spririted riding in the twisties.
You can check out a spreadsheet with pretty much every tire that fits the stock Gen 1 rims here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/shejgs7sjklu3a7/V-Max_Tires.xlsx/file
You need a spreadsheet app/program installed to view it though (like Excel or Libre Office).

Oh this is for the first Gen bike. I've got a 2nd Gen bike. This thread is linked on the 2nd gen bike as well. I used to own a 88 & 85 vmax. The best "handling" tire was the Mac 50's. My only complaint is that they don't last as long as the ME880's. I think for the 2nd gen I'm going to stick with battleaxes or me880's. I just picked up a pair of ME880s for a small fortune, and I'll see how they compare to stock. I'm currently at 9300 miles on the bone stock gen2 tires, and they are the originals from 2010 when I rode the bike off the showroom floor.

My bad, I saw the ME 880's in a post and assumed this was for the Gen 1.

The Metz 880 wear like iron for a motorcycle tire. Mine was horrible in the rain, and like glass slippers on damp roads. Took it off after 500 miles, gave it away. Very hard compound. Rather have faster wearing but good grip/confidence. Gen 2

The Metz 880 wear like iron for a motorcycle tire. Mine was horrible in the rain, and like glass slippers on damp roads. Took it off after 500 miles, gave it away. Very hard compound. Rather have faster wearing but good grip/confidence. Gen 2

what did you use instead of metzlers?

Avon. Have them on 5 out of 6 motorcycles. Only reason is they don't make an aggressive dual sport tire for my KTM 950 Adventure.

Give Shinko tires a try. I threw a set on mine and can honestly say that they transformed the ride and handling of the bike all for the better. Not sure about life span, but man did they improve every aspect of my bike

Latest posts

Back