Best upgrade to be done first?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You appear to have a nice stock bike in better condition than most, from that pic.

Strangely, for me, the stock seat doesn't 'suck.' I do have an aftermarket seat, and have been using it lately. I am not an over-the-road biker (long distances) so the seat isn't of much importance, as it doesn't bother me. Some people just have to change it, 'roids or cramps need to be cared-for or eliminated, and there are a couple of the vendors here who have good alternatives-for the seats, not for hemorrhoids! As you age you will come to realize the significance of, "be-kind to your prostate, & it will be-kind to you." (hopefully)

I think that tires/wheels (radials) make the most-profound difference, as I already posted. I agree w/Max Midnight as-to his suggestions, but in a slightly-different order: radials, then brakes, rear shocks, steering head bearings, LI-ion battery, updated regulator/rectifier, typically from an R-1; front forks & valving inserts, that should keep you busy for awhile, and shouldn't drastically-alter your classic appearance. I, too, like a relatively stock-appearing bike.

You don't need to be in a hurry to do anything, if you ride within reason, which you should be doing anyway, until you are experienced in what it is capable of doing, or not doing. On the basis of that valuable personal experience, then you can modify things as you see-fit, to meet your personal priorities. Do lots of reading on what interests you, you will find, someone on-here probably already asked your question, and multiple people here have given their experiences and opinions, like this one.

Once the maintenace items (tires/ oil/ brake fluid/ coolant/ fork oil) are taken care of I would upgrade in this order:
Brakes, especially on pre '93 models.
Forks
Seat
Wheels
Full Exhaust
Jet kit
From this point it is really how big your check book is because the sky is the limit for mods.
How you go about updating your Vmax really depends on what you are starting with, even if you bought the last model year of the VMX12 (2007) it's already 6 years old and may need some or all of these mods to get it back into riding shape.

You appear to have a nice stock bike in better condition than most, from that pic.

Strangely, for me, the stock seat doesn't 'suck.' I do have an aftermarket seat, and have been using it lately. I am not an over-the-road biker (long distances) so the seat isn't of much importance, as it doesn't bother me. Some people just have to change it, 'roids or cramps need to be cared-for or eliminated, and there are a couple of the vendors here who have good alternatives-for the seats, not for hemorrhoids! As you age you will come to realize the significance of, "be-kind to your prostate, & it will be-kind to you." (hopefully)

I think that tires/wheels (radials) make the most-profound difference, as I already posted. I agree w/Max Midnight as-to his suggestions, but in a slightly-different order: radials, then brakes, rear shocks, steering head bearings, LI-ion battery, updated regulator/rectifier, typically from an R-1; front forks & valving inserts, that should keep you busy for awhile, and shouldn't drastically-alter your classic appearance. I, too, like a relatively stock-appearing bike.

You don't need to be in a hurry to do anything, if you ride within reason, which you should be doing anyway, until you are experienced in what it is capable of doing, or not doing. On the basis of that valuable personal experience, then you can modify things as you see-fit, to meet your personal priorities. Do lots of reading on what interests you, you will find, someone on-here probably already asked your question, and multiple people here have given their experiences and opinions, like this one.

My bike actually looks prettier in photos than it really is! The previous owner painted some parts polished, applied a gray that does not please me, I will restore the original appearance. It is necessary also the polishing wheels and other small pieces.

Another problem is the radiator. Has dented fins, most already bought another to replace.

I am exchanging emails with Sean (Muscle), apparently the deal is put radial wheels, more'm still thinking if I want to make this change or not. I like the look of the original wheels.

We can get a wheel with the stock design in radial sizing. They are heavier so some of the lighter benefit is not gained but it does work better then the stock tire setup.

Sean

Listening to the voice of experience and tips from friends of the forum a new seat is coming! Other parts will also be part of the first upgrade:
- Mirrors (I do not have the originals)
- Grips
- End bars
- Handlebar (superbike model)
- complete set of new master cylinders.
- Revitalization of painting and polishing.

My thanks to Sean (Morley's Muscle) for all the help.

Last edited:
Mod monkey agent if you know whats good for you. I bought a can from sean and it dident work worth shit so dont buy it from him. I put some on and next thing i new i had no money left.

Back