Best wishes to Bill

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
I drove down to Gilbert, WV with 6 others last week for a 5 day off road riding adventure on the "Rockhouse" section of the Hatfield McCoy trail system.

First day, first ride, Bill had an accident. We were riding down one of the more difficult trails in the system. It had a warning sign at the top. "Danger. Experienced riders only. Must be 18. No vehicles under 200cc." It was a double black diamond with a couple red lines thru the diamonds.

We thought it sounded like fun. It was an interesting ride to the top of the mountain. Coming down even more so. I made it all the way down and parked out of the way. I just had that feeling that my CR5 might get clobbered by an out of control quad so I hid it behind a couple trees. After a few minutes, a couple more guys made it down. Bill was next. He was trying to get over a boulder and it got him. I heard him yell (couldn't see him at the time) and then see his quad flipping end over end, make a 90 degree turn in the trail, and then head right for me. Luckily, it stopped before I got hit.

Bill went over the bars, landed in a pile of rock, and got run over by his quad. He seemed pretty beat up but was well enough to get back to camp. That night he decided he needed to go to the hospital. He was found to have 2 broken vertebrae and broken collarbone.

The good news is that it is a "minor" break. Surgery is not required. No risk of paralysis. If you could keep Bill in your thoughts and hope for a total recovery, it would be appreciated.

Ouch! That sounds like a helluva trail and a doozy of a accident too! I''ll keep him in mind and send a prayer for quick and complete healing!

Last edited:
Damn That sucks, I hope he heals up fully and as quickly as possible.

Wow, thoughts and prayers heading towards Bill. I hope he recovers quickly!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The man to gilbert trail Or you could say gilbert to man trail. I have been on it a few times and the best way to ride the hard trails is with a rear straight axle quad. Polaris 500 4x4 or a kfx700 worked best for me. A friend and i took the same trail and i looked up the steep bolder area and said not a good idea on a quad with independent suspension he looked at me and said dont back out now hit the throttle got about 500 feet cought a bolder and fliped over a 700cc polaris sportsman. He got hurt but got lucky it wasent that bad. I took trails that where more challenging with the kfx700 and it went right up the trail with no tipping. I took the 500 to the bottom through all the turns and came out by the gas station and had to wait along time for the others to show up. You can ride the mountains with independent suspension and have a nice soft ride but you will never keep up with a straight axle if you want to go fast. And when it gets tippy enough to feel your stomach in your throat you will wish you had a straight axle. Independent suspension 4X4 work great on most trails and mud. I dont know where you stayed but if you go back check out katheren cabbins Randy blevans owns them and he was the boone county sheriff at one time. Randy is a great guy and you will have alot of fun staying at his cabbins. If you drink shine you will have more fun. Thanks for posting this up it brought back great and not so great memories but all were worth remembering. I hope Bill is doing good and better luck next time Bill.

Back