Better mirrors to see more than just my arms

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDB

Reaction score
98 with stock bars and mirrors. Cannot adjust to see very well behind me. Not sure I want to use bar end mirrors (yet). I would like a shorter yet longer stem on the mirror so I can have them stick out more to the side (but not be tall and dorky). I want them to look nice but need them to be functional. Anyone have pics of ones they are using that work well? The issue really is the factory bar top "ridge" that prevents you from sliding the hand controls further out on the bar, limiting the position of the mirrors.

just remember if you want to fit them to the clutch and master cylinders, the brake master has left hand thread, I think M10 (but may be M8).

You may be able to find need longer stems, or just get a length of steel rod, cut and bend to shape, then put a thread on the ends = would need LH die tho'

or extenio0ns like these:
1606517374468.png

Last edited:
you can cut the bits off the standard bars that limit your movement, if you do and then find the switch gear tends to rotate a bit you can fit a slice of inner tube or similar between the switch gear housing and the bars,
I bought some smaller mirrors (orange to match my bike) that I like but they were useless in length so I mated the mirror parts to a pair of XJR1300 mirror stems, now they are small but reach out well and give great rear view

98 with stock bars and mirrors. Cannot adjust to see very well behind me. Not sure I want to use bar end mirrors (yet). I would like a shorter yet longer stem on the mirror so I can have them stick out more to the side (but not be tall and dorky). I want them to look nice but need them to be functional. Anyone have pics of ones they are using that work well? The issue really is the factory bar top "ridge" that prevents you from sliding the hand controls further out on the bar, limiting the position of the mirrors.
I had the same problem so got some mirror extenders and used the original mirrors.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HANDLEBAR-MIRROR-EXTENDER-YAMAHA-THREAD/dp/B002RB2KNK
This mount offers 40mm horizontal and 27mm vertical extension. Available with10mm standard or 10mm Yamaha thread fitment (note that Yam has an anti clockwise thread on one side).

Sean Morley is working on getting these together. Hopefully it's doable not too expensive. I have off the end mirrors but I don't like having to look that far to see behind.

Attachments

• Seans New Classic scoops.jpg
    Seans New Classic scoops.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 110
I got some great ones on Amazon

Attachments

• 20201206_171324.jpg
    20201206_171324.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 53
More pic

Attachments

• 20201206_171343.jpg
    20201206_171343.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 34
Hey, what goes on with these mirrors - my '86 has the threads the wrong way 'round - LH mount has a rh thread (so slackens off in wind), the RH mount has a lh thread, so also slackens off in wind. It makes no sense?

Hey, what goes on with these mirrors - my '86 has the threads the wrong way 'round - LH mount has a rh thread (so slackens off in wind), the RH mount has a lh thread, so also slackens off in wind. It makes no sense?
Yamaha does the threads differently from the other Japanese manufacturers on that one side. There are other Yamahas having longer stems which you can swap-in. Look at the bikes at the dealership and then buy what meets your reach-needs.

I think their idea is that they swivel back instead of breaking if they get hit, if wind is loosening them try some non permanent thread lock

they shoud.nt lo0sen if the locknut is done up.

Yamaha does the threads differently from the other Japanese manufacturers on that one side. There are other Yamahas having longer stems which you can swap-in. Look at the bikes at the dealership and then buy what meets your reach-needs.
My xj650s have the threads the right way - strange.

If the mirror bedding compound has failed, the mirrors will vibrate at speed. New heads are not that expensive. Especially if you buy quality aftermarket ones in the same shape as the OEM Yamaha mirrors. Or, get whatever shape works best for your needs.

Back