Biffed mine too....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffee_brake

Reaction score
I'm not a speed junkie, a squid, or a newbie. I wear good gear and practice my skills regularly. I'm not an expert rider with decades of experience, but I consider myself a profficient rider dedicated to common sense riding.

So I biffed for the first time on the Vmax, on the way to Deal's Gap. My good riding suit is in for repairs (not crash related) so I had only my armored mesh jacket and jeans to go with boots and gloves. I had on some borrowed rain gear. I was taking it real easy through the curves on Hwy 28 headed up to Highlands, thinking about every move because it was raining and I've never had this bike in the curves.

Uphill left-hander, didn't go in too hot, on the contrary my line was too conservative and the back tire rolled over the painted yellow center line. SPLAT! In an instant I was sliding on my front and listening to my bike bounce across the pavement into the dirt. I always thought I'd panic when it was my turn to go down, but all the instructions came back somehow: first get out of the road, check yourself, get the bike out of the road. It was pitiful, "chug-chuging" sideways as I scrambled to turn the key off.

I thought I must have crushed my kneecaps, that crap about the pain not hitting till 5 minutes later is bull. Nothing broken, just road rash and really sore knees.
I couldn't get at the handlebars to lift the bike, it was buried in mud. I was digging it out with a flattened beer can when some hottie in a pickup offered to help me lift it, thanks Bubba-the-Redneck, wherever you are!

Once the fuel fed back into the carbs and I got it started, it was about 2 hours to the Gap, as I was all shook up and scared to lean it over, and my knees were just agony.

Of course everybody mobbed the bike with tools and capable hands as soon as I showed up at the Gap, checking out everything important and fixing it up enough to ride. "G" gave me a ride into town for dinner (you rock, thanks so much!) and after a buncha pain meds and many beers it didn't seem so bad. Still got some awesome riding in, and got my groove back. Vmax is fun in the twisties, if it's dry....

So I rashed the left side: Scoop is cut so deep I can't buff it out, looks like some bodywork and paint for it. Rash on mirror stem and front/rear signals, bent up the Supertrapps can and disks. Rashed master cylinder and cap, rashed lever.
The crash guards did their job, it bent waaaay back but it didn't hit the motor, and it saved the case from being cracked or ground through. The left guard is rashed bad. Didn't touch paint or seat or motor.

Gear took a good hit, shreded the rain suit and Joe Rocket gloves came apart at the seams, junk. Ground down the boots and tore up the left sleeve of the jacket but not my left arm. Helmet never touched the ground.

They say any crash you can walk away from is a good one. Well this one left the frame and wheels straight, so I rode away, that's even better. I just picked a bad line is all, and there was no margin for error with rain and slick painted lines together.

My hubby biffed even harder two weeks ago; he's rashed REALLY good and dang near dislocated his shoulder. Aren't we a pathetic pair, groaning and limping around the house?! At least the bikes are rideable....

glad you are ok all in all. i may have some parts if you need something. i'll check the 'bin'. at least a lever that isn't spoken for but i keep forgetting which side....

Glad you are OK.....

Those lines can be SLICK!!!!!

Even just with dew in the right conditions:damn angry:

Damn, another one. Sorry to hear about your learning experience.

Sean

Glad you're OK... Funny thing is I had NO idea you were a woman... lol Not that that matters in the slightest. The "hottie" comment got me and then the last line reeled me in...

Get with Morley for used parts if you want to save some dosh!

Chris

Bloody Hell , yes another 1 but doesnt it happen in 3s . Those lines in the wet can cause havoc i tend to keep well away from them . Glad to hear there was no majors to you both .
They is a lesson here tho ... Cheap gear is just cheap .
Glad you ok .

Thanks ya'll for kind words and offers. Really, the lever isn't bent but only rashed at the pivot. Ten minutes with sandpaper will bring it right back. I aready straightened out the left exhaust, it's really not that bad since the stainless was all stained with age and use anyway. The MC is holding fluid just fine; I think a Sharpie pen is in order to cover the little rash on it. Somebody before me rashed the other side already anyway and painted over it. Robert (82nd Cowboy) said he had a rear signal housing I could have (I already bought him beer and cigarettes, and will be good for more of the same at the next gathering!), which only leaves the front.
That left scoop, though...it's gouged deep. I'm not freaking out about it but I'll keep my eyes out for another until it gets cold, then I'll pull the bike off-line and do paint. I pretty much only ride the big faired Concours in the winter anyway.

Tell me this, though: the center stand deployed while the bike was spinning 180 off the road (yes all on the left side). It ground part of it away, and that part is rusting already. Is the thing tempered or something, and the sliding burned away the temper? Didn't bend, I don't think it's weakened, but should I bother replacing it?
I would like to replace the left crash guard, if anybody went down on the right and got another set, I'll buy your old left. Or if you will never drop your Max and took off your crash guards, let me know....

It's steel and bare steel rust quickly. Smooth and powdercoat it. Kick the left gaurd back straight and blend or weld/blend then coat the pair of them. It will do the job again if needed.

The scoop can be tigged up but may not chrome for shit later. It can however be tigged up and smoothed off then maybe powdercoated. it can easily be puttied in then painted if you go that route.

Sean

Sorry to hear about your mishap. The moon must have been in a strange phase up there for two of us to go down in the same week. Glad to hear that you are okay. I know the road that you were on. I was on it two time the other day. Very fun road when it is dry.

OK thanks for advice on that CS.

28 is my very favorite road, it is a straight shot from here in Augusta right to the Dragon!
Ain't never seen no bear on it, though...just on the Blue Ridge Parkway (I think the poor creature shat itself getting off the road), and again up in the Smoky Mountain National Forest (two cubs--and I was on horseback! Hell yes I turned around and got away from there).
28 has give me so much pleasure that I'm glad I went down there, if anywhere. Not that I'm hoping to repeat it....in any case it beats the hell out of riding a horse....

I can vouch for 28 being an amazing road - went there with CB for lunch in the dry and it was simply great stuff between 74 and Franklin.

I also wanna pull my hat off again to CB for riding on to the Gap after spilling it two hours away - that showed some grit girl! And then she was crazy enough to ride pillion with me to dinner so maybe it's just plain madness LOL

I sure didn't feel like riding after mine went down yesterday, but I'm back on it today :)

Also remember I have a center stand on my spare bike so if you feel like replacing yours I can help ya out.

Yes hats off to her for getting back on her Max. Look on the bright side, her bike didn't go home like this.

NG, Did you go down yesterday ?

Attachments

• DSC3136.jpg
    DSC3136.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 38
Yes hats off to her for getting back on her Max. Look on the bright side, her bike didn't go home like this.

NG, Did you go down yesterday ?

I think they need a bigger truck:lol_hitting:

Sorry to hear about this.
GLAD to hear you are Ok.
Lets us know what you need and I am sure we can get it out to you.
Cheers

Sorry to hear this. Glad your ok. Chalk it up as a lesson learned. We're always learning.

Jenn, Tomorrow when I get home I'll dig out the box I got and make sure I got the the left rear lollipop.
PM me your address and I'll send it out to ya.

Damn, 2 down, who's next?:confused2:
I'm going to start walking from now on...

There has already been 3 there is a thread in the pit stop area about a guy hitting a Bear up by the Gap. Crazy stuff I hope we are all finished with this now.

Back