Big problems! input?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dodgediesel59

Reaction score
So I was running my 1428 Tonight riding with a buddy. So beating on it as usual it started to run poor. The bike has had an oil leak for a while but next to nothing. In 500 miles I used maybe a half court. Tonight I used almost a quart in 50 miles and the right side of the bike is covered. It appears to still be coming from the breather in the air box. Also the temp was about 65 today and cool and the bike was running a needle under red on the ride home. Also bike would not idle instead die and had low end run ability issues. Still tons of power and no miss on top. One last thing is it appeared the coolant overflow tank was full and blowing coolant out periodically. I'm afraid I might have to rip the motor out again and it's a terrible time for that! Thanks in advance guys

I no little bit about bikes, but more on drag car motors....

You could have blow by through the rings.... I would check compression to...

Or like Sean told me email oil level check to see if it's to high...

The coolant issue kind of had me thinking that. Hard to believe with copper gaskets coated in three bond and head studs but not much else would explain the high temperature. Would that cause excess blow by?

Usually they will leak under load and pressurize the coolant system. This in turn fills up the overflow tank and then when it's full on out the hose.

Would the higher engine temp explain the higher than normal blow by? I ran the oil level on the lower side to see if I was getting the blow by caused by windage in the crank case but it did not help.

Just ran a compression test. Right cylinder bank are both at 190 psi. left rear is at 165 and left front is at 170. I know its not that far off, but its enough to possibly be concerned. Anyone else have an opinion? Also the spark plugs were a rust color.

Just ran a compression test. Right cylinder bank are both at 190 psi. left rear is at 165 and left front is at 170. I know its not that far off, but its enough to possibly be concerned. Anyone else have an opinion? Also the spark plugs were a rust color.
I am with Sean I believe a head gasket seeping by. I have seen it to many times

Well over the weekend I am hoping to get the engine pulled and tore down. Hopefully its nothing to major but time will certainly tell that story. I will keep you guys posted!

Well engine is stripped to the bare block. I think I should have checked piston clearance when I put this thing together, I could fit a .024 feeler gage between the cylinder and piston. So tomorrow morning the cases are headed for new York. Not sure if I'm going to go with a 1500 or 1570 yet though. Would a set of cams help liven this thing up with stock valve train?

5-10 I would think - especially on a bigger engine. The latest 1428's from PCW are putting out mid-high 160's with cams and larger intake valves.

I want to do it right, but I dont think I am interested in spending the 2 grand on the head work at this time. I will probably end up going with a 1500 as the sleeves used for the 1428 are also the same as the 1500 just a larger bore. I think I will Just cam it for now. That way I might get out of this motor for 2K.

I ran out of funds for shim under bucket work, biggest cams and oversize valves before I finished my stroker 1540. Heads like I wanted would have been another $2000+ counting springs, buckets, shims, cams etc....I was already into the build for about $6500 and just couldn't justify more at that point in my life...

It's 13:1, 5mm stroked and 5mm bored (sleeves) running stock ported heads, stock valve size, and the 03 cams & springs (biggest you can run with shim over bucket which is the stock arrangement) with Stage 7 carbs.

I wish I had have done the heads but I gotta tell you I am not in the least disappointed at all in how it turned out with the stock heads slightly modified.

It's never been on a dyno but it will flat out smoke the fuck out of my buddies 1500 PCW with flatslides on it so I'm guessing around 165-170 hp and a bit more torque than the PCW 1500 (which also uses about the same head setup I ended up with)

I WILL someday do the best heads and flatslides I can do for the motor when it's time to freshen this motor up, since I know I left something on the table running the heads I did.

At the same time I have a feeling doing the heads may take some of the pleasure of day to day rideability out of the bike.....

Yea I think I am going to run the 03 cams with springs so I can keep it a bit cheaper. I hate doing it but I'm at that same stage you were. I really want to go to the 1570 but not sure I'm going to spend that money either. Would it be worth it to have a motor balanced?

Yea I think I am going to run the 03 cams with springs so I can keep it a bit cheaper. I hate doing it but I'm at that same stage you were. I really want to go to the 1570 but not sure I'm going to spend that money either. Would it be worth it to have a motor balanced?

If you're going big then the rods and pistons ought to be balanced to the crank. I'm not sure how it all comes together though, Sean specced out my rods and pistons and had the crank stroked for me so I'm pretty sure I received a balanced kit when all was said and done.
If your using stock crank and rods I'm not sure how to go about speccing pistons that will be the right weight to keep it all balanced. I'm sure Sean would know the answer to that tho.

over size intakes with the porting needed for the blend should be around $1k

over size intakes with the porting needed for the blend should be around $1k

My price guess was based on oversize valves, including the valves and springs, the porting, the machine work and parts (buckets/shims) to convert to a shim under bucket setup, along with slotted cam sprockets.

Basically a ready to go setup minus the cams.

Well according to John the full stage 3 head which has the oversize intake and exhaust will only give about 6 horse more than what he is going to be doing with them. Everything got sent off today so now we wait. In the mean time I need to get a 4 brush starter so I can maybe start this bike hot finally. Are there any starter clutch mods that need to be done as well?

Latest posts

Back