big shot 360

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crashmymax

Reaction score
First off I would like to say hello. I am a newby. I just bought my 93 vmax about a year ago from my dad who bought a new starmax. I like the way this bike runs, but i do not like the way it handles or looks. The last 10 years i have been riding sport bikes and i love the instant response in handling. So I would like some opinions on what to do with this bike. The big shot 360 from madmax looks awesome. I have never ridden a bike with a large rear tire like the 360 does it improve the handling of the vmax or make it worse? I have also read a little about the gsxr or r1 front end conversions but the kits seem to be a little over priced. Outside of the gsxr or r1 font end what parts are needed to make this conversion? How big of a difference does a radial on the rear make for the handling of the vmax? I am looking for some good opinions on ways that make the vmax a better handling bike and i am guessing it starts with the rear wheel? thanks for any responses.

About the best option for handling upgrades is radial wheels. We sell a few diff kinds but by far the best value is the Carrozzeria wheels (there are pics on here and in my wheel thread in the morleys muscle section).

Any tire larger then about 200 will reduce handling. The 360 will pretty much make it turn like a tractor trailer. Plus, I hope you don't like running it hard since they take a lot of power to turn and reliability is a big issue (a customer locally has the 280 kit and has broken it twice in less then 100 miles).

You would need custom triples in addition to the front end. I do have a front end for sale that is complete with everything you would need but looking at $1500 for it (have one buyer possibly interested though).

Sean

These bikes are capable of handling well but you'll never be able to compare them to a true sport bike IMO.

Lighter wheels and radials along with better suspension is the only way to go. You can just replace the rear shocks with some after market brand, put some springs in the forks and some Ricor Intiminators in there to help with rebound, EBC HH brake pads and some frame braces go a long way as well.

Good luck!

Chris

also. just make sure your stearing head bearings are to spec! thats an easy cheap one.

"The big shot 360 from madmax looks awesome. I have never ridden a bike with a large rear tire like the 360 does it improve the handling of the vmax or make it worse? I have also read a little about the gsxr or r1 front end conversions but the kits seem to be a little over priced."

If you think a front end conversion is overpriced then I would say to not even think about the mad mad rear end, LOL

Biggest I have ridden on was a 280. Rode ok for such a big tire but dang sure not as good as even stock. You don't buy them for handling. It's for looks.

Sean

Here's mine with a 180 and the Carrozzeria wheels.

These aren't the latest and greatest but all that's really changed is the exhaust.

Chris

Attachments

• 100_2394.jpg
    100_2394.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Vmax done #4 9-11-07.jpg
    Vmax done #4 9-11-07.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 55
A 360 tire on any bike looks just plain stupid......Even on a real deal chopper that is supposed to handle like crap they still look dumb.

Do plenty of searches on here and you eventually get the feel for what it's going to take to make your bike handle well, there's quite a few mods to bring it up to snuff, and upside down forks are a nice touch but would be at the bottom of my list for pure handling mods since some of the others seem to be more benificial

New suspenders front and back good ones
Fork brace
Frame brace
Solid motor mounts
Braced swingarm
Wheels that allow you to run radial tires, light wheels, good tires,

Two others are gusseting the swingarm area of the frame, which I haven't and won't do, and upside down forks because I think they look really good and would help handling some too.

Proper handle bars that don't have you sitting up like a begging dog
Foot pegs back a little that get you in the right posture

The last two are just preferences for me to allow me to "fit" better since they don't affect the bikes ability just my ability to use the bike.

If you do all this you can have a max that's gonna handle as good as it gets for a 625lb bike, at that point there is nothing wrong with the bikes handling, what's wrong is your on a fat pig of a motorcycle when compared to a sport bike...

Rusty

I just got a price on the big shot 360 its over $13000 that is just stupid if i was going to spend that kind of $$$ i would have a strocker engine put in the old max and lots more. Anyway thanks for all the input I have done some reading on wheels. The post just below mine with a guy who is using harley wheels and moding them. The price of the wheels is alot closer to my price range. How much would it cost to have someone make them fit my max or is there anyone who can do the necacary mods if i bought some harley wheels?

I have about $2500 total not counting time in my USD, wheel conversions/radials, and VTX shocks. The bike rides like a dream and hooks soooo much better I cannot find the words.

If you go the wheel route, you need to go with proven quality be it mass produced or Cycle One Off.

Latest posts

Back