Bigger calipers

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Hammer

Reaction score
I'm asking.

Any bigger brake calipers available for a Gen 1? Reasonably priced and no need for a Superbike stopping power.

6-pot front, 4-pot rear? For stock rotors and mounts and masters. Of course you can build anything to fit, but I'm looking for something easy.

Last edited:
We have many threads on brakes. I see you've read many of them, so you're ahead of the game. See the Sumitomo info, below.

Here's one view: if you have the OEM 1993-2007 front brakes (2 pairs opposed piston calipers), and you use DOT 4, braided stainless steel brake lines, with your 5/8" OEM master cyl., and HH rated friction pads, with OEM 298 mm rotors in good shape, that's the standard.

Sean Morley [email protected] sells a Suzuki 6-piston caliper, large dia. rotor single-sided brake for the front, and people who use it like it. That's probably the least expensive upgrade I know of.

Sean's opinion is that there isn't a difference in the OEM 1993-2007 calipers and the early blue or gold-colored plugs Yamaha R1/R6 4-piston calipers, in terms of braking function.

Sumitomo 6-piston calipers, as used on the last of the FZR1000, and then the YZF1000 bikes, is another popular choice. No adapter needed, a direct bolt-on for 1993-2007 Vmaxes.

https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/caliper-piston-material-what-is-it.40004/#post-517472
Homework for you:
https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/17mm-bore-for-master-cylinder.42709/#post-443298
Brake modification Sumitomo 6-pot use info

A post by Sean Morley, lots of data and pics: What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

Much discussion on this thread: Brake calipers upgrade

Last edited:
I read many of these threads. Single sided 6 pot is not something I would like to have. Double is what I'd like. Brake with one finger.

Already got ss lines and other bits. I was just wondering. Thank you FM.

Sumitomo 6 pot, direct fit to 93 on models, may need slightly longer brake hoses (+35mm)

These were fitted to yamaha yzf750.

Back