Bigger generator???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty McNeil

Reaction score
I've heard there is a mid 80's (1986 maybe?) Venture generator that is 500 watts? (versus the maxes 300 watts) that fits the Vmax.

3 questions;

Does anyone know the specific year model needed?

Do you need to change out the Stator, the Rotor, or both to make this happen?

Does the R/R (on a '99) need to be upgraded to deal with it?
Thanks,

Rusty

I'm not aware of Ventures having a 500 watt stator, maybe the old FJ's?

The stator is a straight swap, you can keep your flywheel.

Not sure about the R/R. You can try it and make sure the regulator doesn't dump the excess voltage to ground.

Here are a couple of high output Venture stator/generators.

One is claiming a %20 increace in power. The other just say "high output"

Its funny, as I look around at these things nobody is giving a direct number. I guess Ya have to email or call them for an answer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMA...ryZ35594QQihZ019QQitemZ290219456909QQtcZphoto

http://www.regulatorrectifier.com/c....html?osCsid=341bbe41e85f16f9f3136292c8d8c72f

Between these two, It looks like they are selling the same unit (judging by the picture) but a big difference in price $109 vs. $134.

I haven't found the exact answer but I did find out:

The early venture had a 30 amp rating,

The Vmax has a 22.5 amp rating.

At the 14 volts the vmax is rated at that works out to 312 watts for the Max and 420 for the early venture.

I found a link to http://www.buckeyeperformance.com/products.htm

And talked to them, they sell a stator that is rated at 25% more than the stock venture stator which would be 525 watts.

They couldn't tell me if it would fit a Vmax

But they did say I could send them mine and it could be rewound to higher performance specs for about $240 and I'd have it back in two weeks.

They didn't say what those specs would be exactly but it would probably be at least as good as a stock venture of 420 watts.

They said the stator is the only part needing upgrade; that the rotor doesn't need to be upgraded.

He is also gonna dig around for some specifications and let me know if there is a Venture stator that is a direct fit on the Vmax.

Rusty

I haven't found the exact answer but I did find out:

The early venture had a 30 amp rating,

The Vmax has a 22.5 amp rating.

At the 14 volts the vmax is rated at that works out to 312 watts for the Max and 420 for the early venture.

I found a link to http://www.buckeyeperformance.com/products.htm

And talked to them, they sell a stator that is rated at 25% more than the stock venture stator which would be 525 watts.

They couldn't tell me if it would fit a Vmax

But they did say I could send them mine and it could be rewound to higher performance specs for about $240 and I'd have it back in two weeks.

They didn't say what those specs would be exactly but it would probably be at least as good as a stock venture of 420 watts.

They said the stator is the only part needing upgrade; that the rotor doesn't need to be upgraded.

He is also gonna dig around for some specifications and let me know if there is a Venture stator that is a direct fit on the Vmax.

Rusty

Good info, So at a stock 420, the $109 +20% high output would put it around 504, Not bad for a direct bolt on. I wonder out the rest of the electrics would do.

Good info, So at a stock 420, the $109 +20% high output would put it around 504, Not bad for a direct bolt on. I wonder out the rest of the electrics would do.

The guy told me that the R/R "should" be OK but I think I would have the tendency to want to replace it with a later model R/R, maybe off a royal star if it would fit.

The newer ones don't use a zener diode to dump/regulate voltage. They use some type of mos-fet circuit and run a lot cooler and I think they regulate at a slightly higher voltage also because so many of the new bikes have AGM batteries as standard equipment now, AGM batteries like a slightly higher charging voltage for best life.

Rusty

I was thought the Vmax is rated a 25A / 14.5v plus or minus .5v - then you multiply the two to get around 350watts.

Look at the PDF Vmax service manual. :confused2:

Check pages 385,386

rectifier is rated 25A 200v

I was thought the Vmax is rated a 25A / 14.5v plus or minus .5v - then you multiply the two to get around 350watts.

Look at the PDF Vmax service manual. :confused2:

Check pages 385,386

rectifier is rated 25A 200v

I got my info from my owners manual page 8-4 which showed it rated at 22.5 amps @ 14 volt @ 5000rpm

I Believe you and am not surpised the owners manual and service manual don't agree, thanks for the info.

Rusty

I think I have a few older model stators laying around.

Sean

I have not looked at them close enough to see if there is any difference. I will have to try and remember to look. I think they will fit with no issues.

Sean

OK, time to resurrect this old thread.

I am thinking of upgrading to a higher output stator (as well as modding in one of the Shindengen R/Rs that the forum members pull off of R1s and ZX11/14s), but have some questions and/or requests for opinions. The reason is that I want to address my electrical desire of maintaining ~14ish charging volts with the fan spinning, high beams and driving lights (or possible future HID upgrade) on, and turn signals blinking; of which I know is now NOT possible with my current setup, which is a Rick's stator and a new stock R/R directly connected to the battery. I've gone through the RaWarrior's sticky and believe that this is the path I need to take.

First set of questions:

• Will a Shindengen R/R coupled with a stock stator fit my needs, or will a setup involving a Shindengen R/R coupled with a higher output stator be better suited?
  • What are the "max" specs of the typical R1 or ZX11/14's Shindengen R/R?
If a higher output stator is what I need, then I have some more questions. But first let me divulge what I know so far, which is this:

1. You can go a few different ways. Exact OEM replacement, a Venture stator or get an after market stator from ElectroSport.-- Tim Hagan, VMOA # 1567
  2. Do you mean that the output is stronger from this one then from the v-max stator? Yes, Vmax 300 watts, Venture 350 watts. -- Don "Old Man" Smith #2
  3. 83-93s Venture Stators are the same fitment as the Vmax with 50 more watts power than the Vmax so it would be an improvement. New aftermarket stators can be had for $140. -Zeke#4683
  4. Try to find one from a Venture 1300, puts out 5 more amperes than Vmax stock.--Mike CostaVMOA #3531
So here are my questions:

• During my starter clutch fix, I elected to replace my stock stator with one by Rick's Motorsports. However, I think now I wished I had gone with his "hot shot" version. Is this suitable to my needs? Does anyone know its specs (wattage, amperage, voltage)?
  • Is Mr. Zeke's specification of '83-'93 inclusive, or will a post-93 stock Venture stator fit as well? if not, is this because of a form factor or technological difference?
  • Will a "higher output" version of a stock 83-93 Venture stator fit a VMax? What are their typical maximum specs (wattage, amperage, voltage)
  • Will this beast fit and not fry the bike: 1999-2010 Yamaha XVZ1300 Venture High Output Stator, or is the inability because it fits post-93 Ventures?

Ninj-
My current (no pun intended) setup is a Ricks stator(not the enhanced version), the stock RR, crimp fix, direct positive feed to the battery, extra ground to the engine.
When I did the direct feed, I pigtailed the red wire, so in effect I have two feeds to the battery.
If I remember correctly, the stator bought was also the same one sold for the early Ventures, so that supposedly it puts out an additional 50 watts or so over the OEM V-max stator.
At idle, the bike shows around 14.5-14.8 volts, with no load.
With maximum load (high beam, two 37 watt driving lights, LED running lights, and the fan), it still shows 13.5 volts @ 3000 rpm. Horns and signal lights are momentary, so I don't consider them.
Why would you want 14+ volts, with all your goodies on?
My understanding is that 13 volts is more than enough to maintain the battery. Maybe an electrical guru can pin this number down more precisely.
Cheers!

thanks miles for the response. i'm hunting down a gremlin that has recently developed. i'm not entirely sure the root cause, but two mornings within the last week, i've straddled a bike that won't start because of a battery w/ inadequate cranking amps. after the first time i stuck a battery monitor into the mix and noticed that the battery wasn't getting charged properly when the fan kicks in. with my "driving lights" on, the battery wasn't getting charged at all.

i'll have to verify the version of the Rick's stator that I have--if it is the "+50 W" version, or not..i don't think it would be different, but from the sounds of it, i have a very similar setup as you and i should be OK--and the best that i can tell, I was OK for a year and a handful of months. Perhaps the battery can't hold a charge? but it's only a little over a year old, which got me wondering whether or not the charging circuit was the matter.

I have a similar problem and am glad this was resurrected. I have the following items and cannot run with most on without depleting my Odyssey battery. If I run the extra lights it runs my battery down even at highway speed.

Two 35 watt running lights
One 55 watt driving light
100 watt high beam
Rear signals set up as running lights - 16 watts
Rear reflector light - ? watts
High wattage tail light bulbs (2) - ? watts

Additional electrical mods:

Manual fan switch
12 volt lighter plug for GPS, etc
Crimp fix

All my lights are bulbs, no LED's.

I want to upgrade my stator / R&R to easily handle the extra load with no negative side effects.

Hopefully this thread will come up with the answers... :biglaugh:

I have a similar problem and am glad this was resurrected. I have the following items and cannot run with most on without depleting my Odyssey battery. If I run the extra lights it runs my battery down even at highway speed.

Two 35 watt running lights

One 55 watt driving light
100 watt high beam
Rear signals set up as running lights - 16 watts
Rear reflector light - ? watts
High wattage tail light bulbs (2) - ? watts

Additional electrical mods:

Manual fan switch

12 volt lighter plug for GPS, etc
Crimp fix

All my lights are bulbs, no LED's.

I want to upgrade my stator / R&R to easily handle the extra load with no negative side effects.

Hopefully this thread will come up with the answers...
:biglaugh:

Ninj. - Found my paperwork, I purchased Ricks stator 21-405. A bit more research says this puppy puts out 350 watts, versus 300 for the stock stator. The 21-405H unit put out 20% more(claimed, so about 420 watts.
I hope it's not your new stator going tittys up, because I'd then begin to worry about mine(only about 3000km accumulated). I would first disconnect at the stator and RR connections, and do all the checks as per the Electrosport chart.
m-cman- with all your goodies on, looks like an extra 15 amp demand on your system. Even with the "heavy-duty" stator installed, you only get another 10 amps to play with. Could be touch and go.
Everything depends on how many amps are required to operate the bike's ignition system. I can't find that info. I have read that you should never exceed 80% of the stator's output, ignition requirements and all extras included.

i verified that i, too, purchased the 21-405. i emailed the company inquiring about the electrical specs, but am happy that you were able to determine the output wattage--it saved me some unnecessary downtime waiting for them to take their time in responding. i'll heed your advice and consult the electrosport chart. i'm gonna revisit RaWarrior's chart as well.

hmmm, Rick's just responded:
Our stator is made to stock specifications, so it will be the same as the Yamaha OE stator. You should be able to find that information right in your service manual.

You have to take into account the maximum current the R/R will pass. You can have a generator that makes 1200 watts - 100amps (If you find one of these, let us know!!), but if the regulator maxes out at 20 amps, that's all you're gonna get. The rest of the power goes up as heat, or gets sent to ground. You need to find out the current passing capability of the regulator you're using. Maybe just changing to a higher rated regulator will give you a few more amps. Here's an example... I just cooked the stator in my Roadstar. I've got a stone stock charging system. The stock stator can put out about 20 amps, but the regulator only can pass about 18-19 to the electrical system. I put a Rick's Hot Shot stator in as replacement, which can do 25 amps.... While the system charges great - I think the old stator took a long time to deteriorate the charge to the point I noticed it - it still charges no better than stock. UNTIL I replace the R/R with one from a 2005 or later. This device will pass like 29-30 amps, so all the lovely amps my new stator makes will go to the battery, making things even better. A 2005 voltage regulator is on my short list of Christmas presents... Your bike is a 99? That's gonna have the best stock R/R specific to the Max - check around for something else that passes more juice. The wiring on these 3-phase systems is simple. (and gone into in detail elsewhere) Just be sure every connection is SOLDERED.

Ninj -
21-405 is also listed as replacement for the early Ventures.
and....as per your first post today-

1. Do you mean that the output is stronger from this one then from the v-max stator? Yes, Vmax 300 watts, Venture 350 watts. -- Don "Old Man" Smith
I have seen this 350 watts figure quoted on the v-max tech website a few times, and I believe on this site as well.
I guess the bottom line is that it's at least as powerful as the oem, most likely a tad more. And certainly less expensive than oem!

Cheers

Back