Bike did not start after stop

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t3ttp

Reaction score
Just rode 30 miles and stopped at the bank. When I came back 5 minutes later, the bike would not start. It made the priming sound but did not crank ore. No starter sound at all. I waited 30 minutes thinking it the starter was hot but nothing. The AAA guy hooked up the cable but it did crank at all. He helped bump start it and it work. Once I was home, I tried to restart her but the same thing happened, just clicking and the starter did not make a sound. It this the starter or some solenoid issue. I do not think it is the battery. Few months old odessey. Been riding the bike for three days a week 80 miles round trip. Any clue to where to start. :ummm:

Definitely sounds electrical the way it just happened all of a sudden. My first inclination would be the solenoid or switch.

Ah, the old hot start problem. :tantrum:

The starter solenoid will probably be OK but just to be safe check as follows:

You should be able to hear or feel the starter solenoid clicking when you press the starter.
Alternatively, disconnect the battery and starter cables and connect a multimeter set to ohms across the starter motor and battery terminals. Connect a 12 V +ve feed to the battery terminal and the -ve to the blue/ white wire. You should hear the relay click and the multimeter read zero ohms.

Hot staring, particularly on bike with the earlier two brush starters (
SM-229C = 2-brush starter and the field coils in the 2 brush starter are attached by 2 cross head bolts which are visible on the outside of the centre section of the motor. The 4 brush motor has no visible cross head bolts.) is a know issue.
Start by removing all earth leads and throughly clean them.
Remove the starter and check the brushes for wear and that there is an under-cut on the commutator.

Read this article here and implement.

All that cost you was a little of your time.

You could also invest in a heavy duty earth kit or make one yourself.

If all that has failed to resolve the issue then invest in an Odyssey PC680 battery.

Checking the condition of the starter internals is an easy enough job - and cheaper than buying a new battery "because it wasn't strong enough"

This starter was spinning just enough to turn over the engine but also draining the battery so quickly that I had to charge it every night

IMAG0068-1.jpeg

Try shorting the solenoid with a screwdriver. It's a little round puck underneath the seat, sits in a cutout over the battery. Slide back the rubber and just wedge a screwdriver between the terminals. If the starter is good, it will crank over (and start if the key is on).

If nothing happens, the starter took a dump. On an '89 this wouldn't be too shocking. Good excuse to upgrade to the newer 4 brush starter.

If it cranks, the relay went bad. Replace it. Just because it clicks does not mean it's good. These slave solenoids fail constantly on boat I/Os and especially trim pumps. They almost always still click, but make a very poor or no contact.

When you turn the key on, is the headlight on? Sometimes the start button gets a little wacky and gets stuck "partially" pressed, then doesn't work right when you press it. If the headlight is off when the key is on, chances are it's stuck. Taking the switchgear apart and cleaning/lubing usually takes care of it.

Latest posts

Back