Bike idel concern

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racerboy

Reaction score
Ok,
Not sure if this has been beat to death, but here goes, I just recently replaced the float valve thingy and dropped the mains to M150. Replaced various gaskets and O rings, etc. Set mixtures screws at 2.5 front, rear 3.0.
synchd carbs, gtg, no leaks. At idle, bikes sounds ok, sounds alittle burbblie, but when you roll on the throttle, it gurgles alittle, stumbles alittle, until you get past mid range and pulls like it should, when you go back to idle, backfires pops, but revving down, pops. Now, the only thing I did not do, new float valve, I did not set the float level, is this perhaps the reason its running strange at idle? Im going back to 152.5 and reuse the old float valves, to see if this is the culprit. I also noticed the new float valve spring that aligns the tab, was not the same, had to pull off the old spring and put on the new ones.
appreciate the feedback. Hell, should of left the carbs alone, bike was running great.!!!

Re: Bike idle concern

oops, spelled Idle wrong, da-herk! Thxs Danny, I betcha the floats are off, I saw a thread where the guy did a complete tear down of each carb, real good tutorial in fact, he explained how he adjusted the floats by manipulating the tab whereas the tab is aligned with the stamped circle on the block jet assembly. Good place to start, but I tell ya, its a big ASS pain pulling the carbs, put them back, pull them out, mang!!! So, if the floats are off +/-, this may be the cause huh?

Proper fuel level in the float bowl is the foundation of a well tuned carb.
Everything is dependent upon it.

Do a wet fuel level check. No carb removal required.
http://vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=17274

Vmax carbs are actually very easy to remove compared to many other motorcycles. Granted, its not like pulling the carb on a sportster but if you've every tried to get the carbs off any I-4 engine, you'd realize the vmax is a breeze in comparison.

Oh, and if it works, don't try to "fix" it :biglaugh: I've learned that the hard way too many times. I forget it every so often, only to remind myself again. Usually the hard way

Yeah, true, but you think, carbs have not been rebuilt meaning, rubber Orings cracking falling apart, etc take things apart, goes back together with slight different tolerances. But then again, its like Don't break the old seal, oh, looky here, new seals, bike will now run shitty. And your rite, when U was racing R1s back in the carb days, pulling those off were easy, then I turned to EFI, tuning became more of a hassle. So as far as Vmax carbs goes, pretty easy, just and ass pain

Mang!! Im fat fingering the hell outta my spelling!! I cannot go back and edit either.

Back