Bike Lift

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been on the fence about the one at Harbor Freight too. (There's one right down the street from me) It looks solid but I don't know anybody that's used it.

I have been spending way too much time on this topic and have looked at least a dozen on line as well scouring Craigslist for used ones. The one that I like the most is the Handy Industries SAM 1200. It is triple the price of the Harbor Freight but everything about it seems superior and I have not found one bad review.

https://www.handyindustries.com/sam-1200
There are plenty on the market that are much more expensive, particularly some exotics out of Europe but I am not seeing the value in them. I have not pulled the trigger yet on it but I should do it for the Winter season.

The new Harbor Freight is upgraded from the older one, catch it on-sale, the discount coupons often do NOT apply to it. Even the older design from HFT is a decent one for the $ and you can buy a new ram for it or re-seal it if you need to. CaptainKyle has one he's used for years.

I have a Handy Lift, what you see in most dealerships. Not cheap! New, w/the wheel vise and side extensions, and the loading ramp, the higher-capacity model is probably close-to 300 lbs and with shipping not-far from $2000. Used, expect to pay somewhere around $600. I recently bought a used one for a friend for $450. They are the 'gold-standard.'

This is the lowest-priced Handy Lift, it differs from mine in design. Note this is just the lift, extras cost more.
https://www.mile-x.com/handy-40200-...etk0W_4nK9igG00BNzp6VMujytCeyAKxoC9RsQAvD_BwE
There are other brands, a friend has a K&L he uses daily at his shop, they bought three at one time to broker a better price.

Redline, Titan, and K&L all make decent lifts. Note it's often 'ala carte,' where you have to buy the wheel chock, the entry ramp, and side extensions separately, all which increase the price significantly.
https://www.redlinestands.com/catal...IFszrdaZ8ouFCftYwmXx5ZBBK7IJdh7RoCXo4QAvD_BwE

I used a Harbor Freight for years every day & never had an issue with it. I have a K & L & a Precision Lift now . Only reason I quit using the Harbor freight was because I pretty much stole these 2 expensive lifts that I have now. The only thing I would do with a Harbor Freight is put a good wheel chock on it.

I also have the harbor freight unit. I have had it for about eight years or so and have never had a hint of a problem with it. The design is a blatent knockoff of a very popular Italian lift. I cannot remember the name of the Italian unit but they are virtually identical. The very early production units also had an issue with the crossbar. Mine was the upgraded bar and has performed flawlessly.

Mine has also had one motorcycle or another perched on it for virtually the entire time I have owned it. Hardly ever empty. And all of them have been at least 500 pounds.

They occasionally turn up for sale for less than $300.

I’m interested in purchasing a bike lift. The easiest is a Harbor Freight but I thought it prudent to check with the forum and see what you all use and recommend. Your advise is much appreciated.
I have a cheap one that will do 1,000 lbs. (Harbor Freight) and an excellent MC625R from K&L Supply/Redline that will lift 1,750 lbs. 40 inches off the ground which is almost double the smaller one. The more money you pay, the more options that are possible. I find they both have their uses and price difference is huge. Personally, if you are really into biking and have been for awhile and enjoy doing repairs or customizing, by all means; spend the money. If you don't enjoy the maintenance, buy the smaller one to use for cleaning or to make theft of your bike more difficult by locking the lift up in position.

I really like my Harbor Freight unit. I can't think of anything bad to say about it. It usually has my Norton on the lift, not the VMax though!

I think they're right at 1,100 or so. That's not a whole lot when you figure that an Indian Dark Horse is close to 900.

Okay, stop it...I have dreams about cool bikes like that and you are making me salivate like Pavlov's pup. But I guess if I had the money, I probably wouldn't want it. ;-)

As Desert Max stated, the Harbor Freight model is a blatant knock off Of the Grazia, made in Italy.

I have a 1977 Grazia, purchased used, worth every penny.

When you have the option of working on a bike at waist level, there is no going back to crawling on the floor😃

Thank you all for your time and responses. I’ve been wrestling with a kidney stone since July and it very painfully reminded me it’s still with me on Tuesday morning. I had to be admitted to the hospital Wednesday evening and posted Thursday morning while waiting for them to squeeze me me onto the surgical schedule. It’s been a welcomed distraction to read all of your responses including and especially the inevitable side stories. I’m not a skilled nor prolific enough mechanic to justify the $ for one of the more expensive lifts. However your reviews have given me confidence in purchasing the HF lift. Thank you all.

These usually don't last long (before it's purchased), here's a good one not-far from you for not much-more than a Harbor Freight:
https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/mpo/d/walpole-motorcycle-lift/7220006142.html
It has two good features: the rear wheel removable drop-out plate, and a good front wheel vise.

If you want the Harbor Freight, there is a 15% off coupon right now, any single item; join Inside Track club, get another 5% off, a total of 20%.

$450 minus 15%=$382.50
$450 minus 20%=$360

bike lift Rhode Island.jpg
HFT coupon to 11-1-20.png

https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-steel-motorcycle-lift-68892.html

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back