Bike lunges forward in 1st and notchy in gears?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chpmnsws6

Reaction score
I bought this 97 Max with 12k miles in September and having been working with this ever since. I tried bleeding the clutch and it didn't effect anything. The pull feels smooth and the release point is where it should be. I can also hold the clutch all day long and it doesn't bleed off so I'm assuming all is well with the hydraulics.

Worn clutch basket? Will a Barnett clutch help?

Has anyone else dealt with this? I came from a KLR650, so this is a whole different animal.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Vmax.jpg
    Vmax.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 22
First of all...lurching in first...when the bike is in neutral, and the clutch is pulled, and then you drop it into first, does it "clunk", and move forward about and inch or so?

So.....going from neutral to first....with a clunk...is normal. Mine does it, and has always done it. If you dont mind me asking, why do you go to neutral at every light?

Also, if neutral is hard to find...and the bike with shift easier, use Rotella 15-40 oil. Basically everyone on here does.

Things are still spinning when you grab a hand full of clutch and immediately shift to 1st. Try counting to 3 then shift to first, also take Traumahawks suggestion an switch to Rotella 15W40, it still contains a lot of zinc needed for gears.

After the initial "lunge", is the bike still trying to pull itself forward? Like constantly pulling a little, until you finally begin releasing the clutch lever to move forward?

It stays put after the initial. I dont put it in neutral at every light, but often. I also downshift as I drop speed, and never at full speed/rpm. I switched to Rotella T6 and it made the engine quieter,smoother, and easier to find neutral. So this is considered normal?

Well T6 is synthetic if I remember right. Ive run Amsoil 10-40 MOTORCYCLE oil, but the bike still really didnt feel right.

I REALLY like the Rotella 15-40. It is dino oil. One thing to remember, these bikes originally came out in 85...and not a whole lot changed, so the transmissions arent as smooth as newer designs.

Mine clucks EVERTIME I go from neutral to first, and lurches about an inch.

I would not be surprised if your clutch starts slipping. T6 full synthetic is some very slippery oil. Don't ask me how I know:whistlin:

Sounds like its the Vmax Modus Operandi.
While holding the clutch, I switch to 1st and the bike bumps maybe 1/2 inch, then stops.
As I release the clutch about 1/4 the travel, the bike starts to move forward.

This is more violent, of course, if my Idle RPM is higher than 1000 RPM.

So.....going from neutral to first....with a clunk...is normal. Mine does it, and has always done it. If you dont mind me asking, why do you go to neutral at every light?

Also, if neutral is hard to find...and the bike with shift easier, use Rotella 15-40 oil. Basically everyone on here does.
I use 15w40 here as well, and to expound upon staying in gear at a traffic signal; I keep it in first gear as a defense against getting rear ended. Also, I don't stop directly behind a vehicle just so it is easier to go around (L or R) if it looks like someone is not going to stop.

Eric, you are idling way too fast. Pg 2-13 of my service manual says to set our idles @ only 1000rpms +-50rpm. :biglaugh:

His 900rpm idle should, if anything, make his bike shift even more easily, and with less jerk.

Eric, you are idling way too fast. Pg 2-13 of my service manual says to set our idles @ only 1000rpms +-50rpm. :biglaugh:

Ok...ok....thats what I get for going off of memory. :confused2:

EDIT.....well my memory isnt that far off....I thought a remembered it said that on a sticker on the bike. Here is a post that proves it.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showpost.php?p=96312&postcount=5

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showpost.php?p=96397&postcount=12

As usual....Danny has the answer...lol...

Under the cover idles...'99-1000 rpm....'06-1100 rpm

Sometime in between '99 & '06 Yammo decided to jack the idle 100 rpm's. No idea why

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showpost.php?p=96592&postcount=27

Last edited:
Back