Bike only starts with clutch in...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j2dawson

Reaction score
My bike will only start with the clutch pulled. In neutral (light on), kickstand up, clutch out , it will not start. It will start in any configuration if the clutch is pulled. Shouldn't it start with the clutch out if the bike is in neutral and kick stand up?

Thanks,
Jim

Yes. Will it start with it in gear, clutch pulled, sidestand down?

Check your kick stand switch, starting circuit cutoff relay and diode assembly.

Yes. Will it start with it in gear, clutch pulled, sidestand down?

Check your kick stand switch, starting circuit cutoff relay and diode assembly.
No, it will not start in gear, clutch pulled and side stand down. Side stand up, it starts (in gear, clutch pulled).

Ok, sidestand switch is fine. Your neutral switch is fine too since the light is working.

I would test your diode assembly first. It's a small little box with a pig tail coming out of it and ist located above your ignition unit. Next, test your starting circtuit cutoff relay.

If it's in neutral it should start regardless of clutch or kickstand. Is your neutral light coming on?

To check the kickstand switch, get it started, get on the bike but leave the kickstand down and pull the clutch. Kick it into first, it should immediately stall. Still even if the switch was bad it should start when in neutral so my guess is the relay went bad. Here's the pages from the manual on how to test the relay and diode block.

Capture.jpg

Capture2.jpg

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the help. I'm thinking it is a diode problem as the kickstand switch is ok and the neutral light works. Can the individual diodes be replaced or do I have to get the whole diode pack?

I'm pretty dense because I can't find the damn diode pack. Is it near the relay?
I've removed the top cover and left scoop thinking it was under there, but I guess not. I'm really new to the Vmax as you can tell.

J2, you can't just replace the diode but must replace the entire block.

Remove the air box lid and you will be able to see it. Or, remove left scoop and three screws holding the electrical heat shield to the frame and you can get at it that way.

If that doesn't help let me know and I can take a picture. I have stage 7 so it's uber easy for me to do.

Thanks Mark. As soon as I get back home I'll look for it again.

Jim

I had same problem and all it was my kids pulled the conector loose on the underside of the switch housing. Cleaned the contacts plugged back in and worked again.

J2, you can't just replace the diode but must replace the entire block.

Remove the air box lid and you will be able to see it. Or, remove left scoop and three screws holding the electrical heat shield to the frame and you can get at it that way.

If that doesn't help let me know and I can take a picture. I have stage 7 so it's uber easy for me to do.
I removed the electrical shield and still can't find it. I guess I just don't know what the hell I'm looking for.

This day started out great, drove to goatman's house and picked up his stock exhaust , had a nice visit and saw his really nice '91. I got to hear his Mark's exhaust and now I want some! Then I got home and rode the bike for the first ime with the new tire on the front and the damn tire is out of round. It bumps like crazy. Gotta deal with that tomorrow. Then I decided to work on this start problem and can't even find the diodes. Maybe I should just go to bed or go for a cold ride on the Harley.

Here you go! It's the square box with pig tail coming out. It can be just about anywhere but will be very close to the ignitionb box.

Attachments

• img 002 (Large).jpg
    img 002 (Large).jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 29
Here you go! It's the square box with pig tail coming out. It can be just about anywhere but will be very close to the ignitionb box.
Well, I found it. You'll never guess where it was - hanging down between the choke linkage and the carbs. It's going to be fun getting it back where it is supposed to be. I don't think the previous owner was much of a wrench.

After all this, it tests good. I guess checking the relay is next. I thought sure it would be the diodes.

Thanks for all the help. I think I found the relay ok.

Back