Bike Shopping

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

customizedcreationz

Reaction score
So I ve been shopping for my son. We come up short at looking at small 500-600 cc bikes. Most are pretty beat, or too expensive.

Honestly I am starting to think I might just give him the Vmax. He's been riding it already and likes it. Since I took off the exhaust and put the air filter setup back together. The bike is slow again. So I am not worried at all about that with him. Again it was just weight I was worried about.

So I am thinking I may not "give" it to him, but just let him ride it. Its 100% ready to go anywhere, needs nothing and I know it inside and out.

We have a 1992 GS 500 that I might be able to trade for a gun I have. I think that would be a decent all around bike for him. But I know it will need some work, tires brakes things like that by next riding season. But its ride able right now.

So its either putting money out ( my money ) to get him a decent daily rider, whether its trade or out of pocket, or I just let him ride the Vmax.

I just know what I have with the Vmax and I know he likes it. But I would rather let him get his own bike also. Something he can build up as his own.

The plan is to ride together and do some trips together. I know the Vmax is more than capable of that. The little GS is as well.

Damn decisions.....

Change the air filter set up and exhaust and its SLOW now ,........................keep telling yourself that.

If you weren't so far, I d take a look at it.

And slow , there are so many bikes faster that are half the engine size of the Vmax. Its not a fast bike like it used to be. Its just an ill handling bike with a big motor.

I think I am going to let him ride it and I ll just ride one of the Busa's. I am starting to put the 99 together and make a nitrous bike out of that for a street rider as well. SWB should be fun.

I had an SV650...great bike...should be able to find one cheap. Light, nimble and decent power for a small twin...

I had an SV650...great bike...should be able to find one cheap. Light, nimble and decent power for a small twin...

or its predecessor:

LJQX1vryukflTFv26R18YJSXrWeEcTpks-iqiSC8zKi-=w958-h636-no

I think you've been spoiled by turbo hayabusas. While the vmax isn't the speed king it was 25 years ago, it's still hardly a "slow" bike.

For the safety of your son I would really caution against using a vmax, stock or otherwise as a "starter" bike. As you said it's a huge motor in a poorly handling chassis. It's easy to get yourself in trouble if you don't know what you're doing.

Latest posts

Back