Bike won't start! Found fault now. It was a broken repair i had done and forgotten about.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Waxonwaxoff

Reaction score
Both red lights flash when starter button pushed.
Side stand deleted
Vboost deleted
Fuel tank deleted
Yes it's a bit customised (to say the least)
Neutral light on
Neutral selected
Bike was running really well
It cut out (and it's not run since it cut out)
Kill switch and starter button (complete switch gear) replaced.
I've spent 2 days now trying to trace this fault.
I've swopped everything (except the loom) from another bike to check what is faulty.
Can't figure it out

Last edited by a moderator:
Two different wire harnesses

1985-'89
1990-2007

Which is yours?

The 1st uses two pickup coils for the ignition, the 2nd uses a single ignition pickup coil.

VMax USA 85-89 wiring.pngVMax USA 85-89 wiring.02.pngVMax USA 1990-03 wiring.01.pngVMax USA 1990-03 wiring.02.png

When you say, 'delete,' do you mean you don't have (example) a fuel tank anymore? Are you running it off a jerrycan?

Is it not turning-over when you push the button, or is it just not starting, but the starter engages?

Last edited:
It's s twin pickup 88 engine.
All that happens is the two red lights flash when starter pushed.
No fuel pump priming
No click from the solenoid.
No noises
No cranking
Nothing!
All the lights come on.
Battery is good.
So:
The fuel pump doesn't make a noise because it's not turning on. No voltage going to pump.
Solenoid doesn't click and therefore doesn't power up the starter.
Everything tests ok.
So it must be the harness.
Broken wire maybe.

Do you have power to the main fuse? Do you have power to the main electrical switch above the starter switch? Do you have power to the starter switch? Do you have power to the solenoid? If you have your heart set on ripping open the loom, by all means. However, I rather overlay a new wire on a known broken wire. This method does not involve opening the loom. Just electrical patience.

Did you replace the battery?

If so, check polarity is correct.
There have been 2 cases where the wiring was reversed causing non starting issues but lights working as filament bulbs don't care which way round they're wired. Unlikely but let's rule that out.

According to the schematic, 2 reds on instrument is oil and fuel level sensors. I would think that with those two warnings the ECU would deny spark (no run).

I think @02GF74 called it. I know two guys that have done that because they ordered a Lithium Ion Battery that had the poles reversed. they assumed they had the right battery and just hooked it up without double checking it.

I think @02GF74 called it. I know two guys that have done that because they ordered a Lithium Ion Battery that had the poles reversed. they assumed they had the right battery and just hooked it up without double checking it.
I'd support this line of reasoning if the OP hadn't mentioned that the bike "cut out" and hasn't run since. I'm assuming the battery hasn't been fiddled with in the interem.

Please show us where the broken wire was, to aid someone else in the future facing the same thing.

Why did you remove harness?
I guess you cannot read wiring diagram. Just stare at it until you can. Pretty often 90% of diagnosing time is spent, looking at diagram.
I removed the harness because I was sick of trying to trace the fault with it on the bike.
You guess wrong dude!

I removed the harness because I was sick of trying to trace the fault with it on the bike.
You guess wrong dude!

I wouldnt worry too much of what he says. If you read back on all the nonsense he has said since being here and seen the types of repairs he has posted....you will soon learn to just ignore what he says or just troll back harder. Glad you got things sorted.

I wouldnt worry too much of what he says. If you read back on all the nonsense he has said since being here and seen the types of repairs he has posted....you will soon learn to just ignore what he says or just troll back harder. Glad you got things sorted.
Thanks Puppy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back