bikes at my friend's shop

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
Tomorrow at Palm Beaches International Raceway (Florida) is an open track day. My friend is getting some bikes ready to run and he has a couple for sale, one of-which he's taking.

First is a customer's Hyabusa, stock internals, except for a MTC Gen. II centrifugal clutch. It does have an extended swingarm & NOS as a power-adder, and it's a 'wet-shot.' On motor (no NOS), he's done 8.59. He's hoping to get far-below that tomorrow with the NOS operational. It has an air-shifter, and is licensed for the street. Pics #1, 2. NOTE: I'm gonna add a pic corrected for positioning, of pic #1, it will be the last pic.

More info on the bike: they flipped the front end to have the brakes positioned ahead of the axle, to put more weight on the front. Every little advantage helps when you're trying to keep the front end down. The other Hyabusa (turbo) has some big weights on the bottoms of the fork legs. That's the gas tank for the bike in-front of the steering head, the welded aluminum rectangular box. There's another one under the seat that runs higher-octane for the wet-shot of NOS (visible in pic #2). The front tank is for 'only' 112 octane, the rear tank is for the 120-octane/NOS.

A bike built at the shop is a 1363 cc Hyabusa, sporting another power-adder, a big turbo, the bike has done 7.38 @ 199 mph. It's for-sale. No pics.

The third bike is a GS1100 E motored Suzuki. The shop owner calls it the 'learner bike.' It only has a 7" slick, and a wheelie bar. This is anything but stock. The chassis is a GS750 E, heavily-gusseted. It has a 69-1/2" wheelbase, a fresh engine with no runs on it, displacing 1500 cc and the compression is 'not-stock.' The tranny is a 3-speed auto, w/a MTC slider clutch (no clutch lever) and an air-shifter. It has a NOS 100 wet-shot, Schnitz Pro Series II electronics, Lectrons, Dyna Pro ignition, a carbon-fiber body, and a steering damper. It uses an external starter (see the left side of the crank) $10K sale price. It runs a CBR600 front end. Pics #3, 4.

My friend who is a machinist did the work on all three bikes. My friend who is a mechanic built all three.

20180223_150204.jpg20180223_151306.jpg20180223_151752.jpgHyabusa Charlie.01.jpg

Attachments

• 20180223_150151.jpg
    20180223_150151.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
It's a fresh build, they haven't even broken it in, but they have a KZ1000 build which runs a similar NOS system that has run high 6's at 190+ mph. I think the Suzuki should be faster, as it's a 4-valve head, where the KZ1000 is a two-valve, it's a "J" model head, supposedly the best for the air-cooled Kawis. The wheelie bar should help the Suzuki to keep hooked-up, too. it has an effective length of about four ft beyond the rear wheel, though the four-point frame attachment is extending up the sides of the bike frame. The wheelie bar rig is well-past six ft in length, when placed on-end.

The one I'd like to see run, the 1363 cc Hyabusa with the ~3-1/2" turbo, has dynoed at 580 RWHP. They are bringing that to Palm Beach International Raceway to see if they can drum-up some interest in selling it. It actually has a license plate! Not something you would want to ride in traffic though. I found a prior pic, here it is.

What's the old Suz run?

Attachments

• Hyabusa big HP.jpg
    Hyabusa big HP.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 35
Yes, it used to be owned by the Moroso family, and was also the W. Palm Beach International Raceway many years ago. My wife used to drive by it every day on the way to work, Beeline Hwy south of Indiantown Rd. in Palm Beach Co. FL.

I haven't spoken to the guys to see how they did at the track day.

I did see Eric Clapton play there Aug. 4 1974. He played some stuff from his record (461 Ocean Boulevard, which was an address on A1A, the oceanfront roadway just north of Miami Beach, in Golden Beach) he recorded in North Miami FL w/the legendary engineer, Tom Dowd, at Criteria Studio. Dowd also served as engineer there for Bob Seeger and Aretha Franklin, and many others. https://www.concertarchives.org/con...alm-beach-international-raceway-august-4-1974

Here's a Jon Cornell (UFO) bike, and as you may notice, it's been around awhile. I see this at the shop when the owner drops it off for maintenance. It needed a clutch SS line to the slave cyl serviced, as it was leaking. The shop owner fabricates his own SS lines and often does them for other shops, even 4-wheelers. He also fabricates them for NOS systems, which a lot of the Hayabusa riders use at the strip. He's a NOS filling station too.

VMax 6-2-22.01.pngVMax 6-2-22.02.pngVMax 6-2-22.03.png

Last edited:
Screw that. I try to at least use the Galfer line end that doesn't require the middle gear cover to be removed to change the line. I suppose if you don't have it off very often then it's not a big deal.

Screw that. I try to at least use the Galfer line end that doesn't require the middle gear cover to be removed to change the line. I suppose if you don't have it off very often then it's not a big deal.
Jon Cornell built the bike, I dunno if he installed that line. The shop owner was well-acquainted with Jon, he built lots of bikes (big-bore, NOS, supercharged and turbo, and various combinations) using Jon's parts, you see that this one has the UFO VGas side-draft carburetors/manifolds, eliminating VBoost.

Here is a bike not usually seen in the USA, an RGV 250 two-stroke 90-degree twin. The owner bought it, and spent $$$ on parts for it, both NOS and used, but when he couldn't get it functional, he gave it to my friend to re-work.

Dig that 'gullwing' swingarm, that was back when they first showed-up on production bikes. That was done to clear the exhaust with its power valve. On the other side, it's an 'upside-down' trellis braced swingarm.

RGV 250.01.jpgRGV 250.02.jpg

A SOHC Honda 750 which got extensively reworked to return it to the road. The bike behind it is a Hyabusa that is being rebuilt after the owner got it to a GPS-clocked 216 mph, but he wants more.

SOHC Honda 750.png

Back