Bikes humming during decel?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smallz700r

Reaction score
Hey guys, Ive noticed that my bike makes a loud humming noise when i left off gas above 20mph, It just started doing it, but when I pull in the clutch it quiets?? Also went to change the rear diff oil, and literally a couple drops came out!!! I filled it with 80W but do you think it was already to late? I just got this vmax its a 92!

Last edited:
I got it all apart, gonna swap final drive with local vmaxxer but I’m nervous to take these 4 carriers out, I don’t want front yoke to pop out ive heard they are a bitchh to get back in...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I associate the yoke(s) with the front fork, do you mean universal joint (u/j)?

You will pull the driveshaft out with the final drive (it is not a differential) and whist it cab be a xxxxx to get back it can be done with abit of patience.

See my post #4 here which describes the method that works for me.
I should have added that once you think you have the splines into the u/j and the retaining nuts torqued you should tun the wheel to make sure the u/j rotates.

I associate the yoke(s) with the front fork, do you mean universal joint (u/j)?

You will pull the driveshaft out with the final drive (it is not a differential) and whist it cab be a xxxxx to get back it can be done with abit of patience.

See my post #4 here which describes the method that works for me.
I should have added that once you think you have the splines into the u/j and the retaining nuts torqued you should tun the wheel to make sure the u/j rotates.
Patience. No great skills, I've installed one in my 1st attempt, but when I was learning, I've struggled for the better part of an hour. Don't forget to liberally-use a general-purpose chassis grease (molybdenum disulfide) on the shaft splines. Refer to p. 6-62 of the factory service manual.
VMX12- Service-Manual.pdf (vmoa.net) Nuts are 30 ft-lb. for the four holding the swingarm to the final drive housing, which also calls for a thin coating of gasket sealant, clean both surfaces of prior sealant first.

VMax driveshaft-service manual.pngVMax driveshaft.png

Got it out but sadly I think drive shaft is out too!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 18
I thinks it’s in

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 15
The driveshaft goes back in pretty easy if you slide it in by itself once it is partially in slide the differential on to the shaft .
It went I think and it and spins now so I think its good, can you tell by pictures?

Ok cool! are they the ones on ebay? Tinman said he would swap me final drives he only lives mins away in toledo...

Your shaft in your differential is broken and some parts came out with the shaft that should not have. Here is what the differential and shaft should look like.

Attachments

• 20210125_113925.jpg
    20210125_113925.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210125_113944.jpg
    20210125_113944.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210125_114140.jpg
    20210125_114140.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 15
Back