Billet license plate holder

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatslide

Reaction score
My new / old UFO built bike has a "chopper style" frame off of the rear wheel. I'd like to learn of a way to illuminate the license plate with leds. I can't include a photo, sorry.

I figure that somebody has done this mod, so where are you? he he.

Alf:ummm:

Lots of places sell license plate bolts with built in LEDs. Custom Dynamics for sure, eBay, possibly Radiantz or Super Bright LEDs.

Mike, thanks for the guidance! I will look into the bolt / light. Naturally I can think of a couple of questions about it, though I'll familiarize myself, before asking.

I expect to get the pair of plate frame LED bolts in the mail very shortly. These are the style that is a two wire connection. They're from Custom Dynamics.

Where is the closest connector to the billet frame that is mounted off of the center of the rear wheel. In lieu of a connector are there easy access wires to tap into?

Alf

Not that its really close but I think it would make the most sense to tie it inot the existing tail light circuit. That is what I plan to do with mine.

Ya, the tail light would be the easiest. Ready supply of keyed power, I really don't know of anything closer.

Just an Fyi, I installed a Custom Dynamics plate iluminated with Led's..I was pleasantly surprized as to how thin the plate was, which was nice..I looks very clean, and iluminates it pretty well at night..Not crazy bright and not too dim.. I had tried the iluniated bolts but because I made a bracket to mount and got rid of the stock mount, the bolts were too too long and looked goofy. Tried thinking of how to trim down the bolts but they use some form of a glue inside the hollowed out bolt in which the wires come out of and I didnt feel confident that I woudln't screw it up so I went with the plate...Very happy with the product. I tapped into the harness by soldering some male butt connectors to the two wires from the plate. I can take a pic at night if interested.

I can't say as I'd be at all surprised, expecting the lighted plate frame to be a better choice as far as illumination. Thing is I can't put my plate in the traditional rear spot, and I'd like to preserve my side mounted holder as it is. The interest in the LED bolts is simply to satisfy state inspection.

Flatslide, if you're going for the bolts, there are two types custom dynamics offer, one is just your normal iluminated bolt, the other is the one that has both the white iluminated led for the plate but another one built in that can be seen from the back of the bike for which you can wire in to the turn signals or brakes, or just use it as a running light. This one is the one I tried and the bolt lenght was significantly longer than just the plain one. Give them a call they are very helpful and will tell you the lengths of both of those bolts so you can get a better idea. I'd tell you but I forgot myself.

I've got a pair of the standard one light bolts, and I hope to have a chance to get them on today.

I've been tardy, and need to catch you all up. Installed a pair of the LED's in each bottom corner of the billet frame. Tapped into tail light, passed state inspection, and I can't stop smilin' when I look at that lit up plate after dark.

Thanks again!

Back