Binding in the throttle, what to look for?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Falaholic

Reaction score
Noticed the other day that I developed play in my throttle; 1/4 turn before any engagement. Yesterday I pegged the throttle and it tightened up. So much so, that now sticks. What I also noticed now is that I do not believe that my throttle is opening up all the way.

What should I look for to remedy this problem.

Remove the faux tank - left scoop - plastic neck cover - relay plate (maybe).
Under that you'll see a rectangular box with a white top held together by two screws. There are two sliders in there that control/hold your throttle cables together. Once you take it apart, you'll probably find the binding.

Remove the faux tank - left scoop - plastic neck cover - relay plate (maybe).
Under that you'll see a rectangular box with a white top held together by two screws. There are two sliders in there that control/hold your throttle cables together. Once you take it apart, you'll probably find the binding.

Black long rectangular box with clear top and 3 screws-there will be no adjustments there though.
Your adjustments will be at the cable ends-one under the right controls on the handlebar and the other on a bracket holder mounted to the carbs. Check your routing of the cables are also correct.

Chances are that you may have pinched the metal helix jacket the cable runs-in, which is now keeping the cable from smoothly-retracting. This isn't a Shovelhead-the throttle is supposed to return to idle when you let-go of the twist throttle.

This can be very dangerous for you!

You should not ride the bike until you locate the source of the throttle hang-up. Check for everything previously mentioned. A worn, frayed throttle cable can also cause a hang-up, though none of mine have ever had that happen. I've had it happen on other bikes, though.

+1 with Firemedics advise. I had a similar issue happen on my bike after taking my carbs off. Somehow i managed to bend the bracket the metal tube sits in for the throttle cable thats mounted on the carbs. Took me a lil bit to figure it out but it was the culprit. I bent it towards the back of the bike just a little and that took care of the problem.

Latest posts

Back