Birdoprey's COP (Coils Over Plugs) Mod

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the last of Gannon's kits that is ever going to be made and all the connectors to make them with. Once I sell out the completed stuff I will probably sell the kit as a DIY at a reduced price with all the connectors and pins plus the new coils. BUT, I am not sure if I will have resistors at that time.

Stock 85-89 or any year Dyna 3000 I highly suggest WITH the resistors. Some have ok luck without but it's a crap shoot.
Stock 90-07 can go without resistors and hold up better though they can still fail from the additional loads. The boxes are not as "fragile" though and seem to be holding up better.
Ignitech CDI's we sell can run either way as it's self load sensing and durable enough for the extra load of an unresistored kit. They have other benefits too of course.

Some troubles that can occur without resistors is the vboost quits working. Especially if you have a T-boost or other vboost device on there like a sassy.
would the Ignitech CDI fix my issues with my vboost coming on whenever it wants as noted in my post? or should I just replace my nonresistor cops or add resistors to them?
later, bill

The ignitech units are not affected by the COP's and are perfectly happy with any coil system on the bike. I did get some more units on hand last week including harnesses that are prewired for Vboost control.

The ignitech units are not affected by the COP's and are perfectly happy with any coil system on the bike. I did get some more units on hand last week including harnesses that are prewired for Vboost control.
so what would cause my boost to come on anytime it wants to (idle etc.) ?
later, bill

Probably bad control box under the left scoop. OR, a failed install of a Tboost.

Probably bad control box under the left scoop. OR, a failed install of a Tboost.
thanks for the info... don't have the tboost and my control box is the programmable type that comes with the blue led to indicate when the boost comes on. it's set for 5,500 rpms and I've tried other settings. I forget the brand.
thanks again ,bill

thanks for the info... don't have the tboost and my control box is the programmable type that comes with the blue led to indicate when the boost comes on. it's set for 5,500 rpms and I've tried other settings. I forget the brand.
thanks again ,bill

Is this it? SASY.
VMax SASY Metallic Kit.jpg

Or the Micromachines?
http://micromachines.ca/activator.htm
VMax VBoost Micromachines controller.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the info. Should make it a lil easier than sifting through the links.

So far, i've run across two types of Denso COPs. The type that the Hayabusa/GSXR's use work very well. There is another type that is a little longer and they neck down just before the rubber boot that sits over the plug(The Honda F4 and F4i use these). These work well, but their length makes it harder to get on the plug. They both use the same electrical connector on the top. They are not a ton trouble, but personally i like the looks/ease of install/removal of the shorter type.
Here are the bikes that use the SHORT COPs(that i've found so-far):
98-2000 GSXR600 SRAD
01-03 GSXR600
98-99 GSXR750 SRAD
00-05 GSXR750
01-08 GSXR1000
99-08 Hayabusa(GSX1300R)
02-08 R1
99-02 R6
04-07 R6
03-08 CBR600rr
03-06 ZX6/ZX636(maybe the 07-up as well, just have not verified that yet)
98-03 ZX9
00-05 ZX12
06-08 ZX14

I found one set of R6 coil sticks that said they were 03 and they were the long type. Not sure if that was a typo or what. So, on the R6 coil sticks, i'm not 100%. Might be good to shy away from the R6 cops anyway due to the previously posted problems with some of them, at least on the 03-04 R6's.
These use the longer type COPs:
CBR929(all years)
CBR954(all years)
CBR f4/f4i
CBR1000rr(04-08)
98-02 ZX6
Looks like the wiring harnesses from ANY of these bikes will work on any of the coil sticks(long or short).

Just wanted to pass the info along. Hope this info is helpful.
Do you need a resistor in line to run any of these on a 98?

Reactions: eli
Here is the info. Should make it a lil easier than sifting through the links.

So far, i've run across two types of Denso COPs. The type that the Hayabusa/GSXR's use work very well. There is another type that is a little longer and they neck down just before the rubber boot that sits over the plug(The Honda F4 and F4i use these). These work well, but their length makes it harder to get on the plug. They both use the same electrical connector on the top. They are not a ton trouble, but personally i like the looks/ease of install/removal of the shorter type.
Here are the bikes that use the SHORT COPs(that i've found so-far):
98-2000 GSXR600 SRAD
01-03 GSXR600
98-99 GSXR750 SRAD
00-05 GSXR750
01-08 GSXR1000
99-08 Hayabusa(GSX1300R)
02-08 R1
99-02 R6
04-07 R6
03-08 CBR600rr
03-06 ZX6/ZX636(maybe the 07-up as well, just have not verified that yet)
98-03 ZX9
00-05 ZX12
06-08 ZX14

I found one set of R6 coil sticks that said they were 03 and they were the long type. Not sure if that was a typo or what. So, on the R6 coil sticks, i'm not 100%. Might be good to shy away from the R6 cops anyway due to the previously posted problems with some of them, at least on the 03-04 R6's.
These use the longer type COPs:
CBR929(all years)
CBR954(all years)
CBR f4/f4i
CBR1000rr(04-08)
98-02 ZX6
Looks like the wiring harnesses from ANY of these bikes will work on any of the coil sticks(long or short).

Just wanted to pass the info along. Hope this info is helpful.
If you find a R1 COP set with factory worries g she was, are the large & small plug 🔌 connectors plug for play on the old Vmax wiring harness? Or do you have to hack/splice them to make it connect to the Vmax?

Do you need a resistor in line to run any of these on a 98?

(A little late to answer, but I'll do it anyway for the archives.)

I've been running the Denso 129700-4800 coils on my 1998 Vmax for three years now, without resistors. No problems whatsoever.

(A little late to answer, but I'll do it anyway for the archives.)

I've been running the Denso 129700-4800 coils on my 1998 Vmax for three years now, without resistors. No problems whatsoever.
How did you connect them?

Were you able to find connectors to plug into the COPs or source a loom with the plugs?

At the other end, did you cut off the original plugs and attach wires or again was able to find compatible plugs?

Having leads with the appropriate plugs allow reversal so the original coils can be refitted.

Cheers.

How did you connect them?

Were you able to find connectors to plug into the COPs or source a loom with the plugs?

At the other end, did you cut off the original plugs and attach wires or again was able to find compatible plugs?

Having leads with the appropriate plugs allow reversal so the original coils can be refitted.

Cheers.

I'd found the correct plugs for the coils, so made my own loom. I did not use the original plugs to attach the new wires to the existing wires. I've just cut them off.

PXL_20210717_091609984.jpg

PXL_20210717_091440066.jpg

I bought the plugs online in The Netherlands:

https://www.carmo.nl/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2440&language=en

Fantastic, thanks for the information. Without this forum/Internet it would be impossible to find that out.

I just bought 8 plugs for the Denso coil sticks on Amazon for around 8 bucks. They come with 6 inch wires attached, US seller, and got them in 3 days. They work fine, and by the way, my '85 has been running COPS for 10 years, no resistors and bo problems. Stock ignition box..

Latest posts

Back