Birds and proper humane care.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caseyjones955

Reaction score
Any other parrot owners here with good working knowledge?

We have a gray and a blue/gold. I'm not real experienced with birds, especially birds that are smarter than some people. I'm looking to streamline their care and feeding, and also adjust their level of freedom.

They are blisteringly defiant (like me, so I'm okay w/that) and also quite destructive r/t free run of the house. Anyone have experience with creatures like this? TIA.

My kids were easier than these birds, no exaggeration.

Your response gave me a mental image of a littler of ill-disciplined little dream crushers trashing a kitchen with a bag of flower, ice cream and crayons haha.

In my youth, my family had a Scarlet Macaw and a Blue and Gold Macaw. Pair bonded birds. Absolutely uncontrollable together, somewhat manageable apart but anxiety ridden always seeking out the other when apart. The other parrot was a Quaker. Was a stand alone bird and cage kept. More manageable.

Large birds....like children and a pain.
Small birds....like children you can lock in a room.

The Macaw isnt to terrible, the Gray is a nightmare but we love her brimming personality. They are across the room from ea other and dont get along well. They argue, often loudly. Macaw can shriek loudly enough to cause physical pain.

I noticed increased aggression as flight feathers begin to grow out, so those generally get trimmed as needed. I suspect free run of the house is a problem in much the same way. The gray is infinitely more destructive than the other, we tried closing her into her ample cage and it was dramatic beyond words.

I read a bit on the behaviors of African Grays and it seems that consensus is they are not an easy breed, a consensus to which I could not agree more. I hope to find a workaround or solution, I'm supposed to adopt them but I'm on the fence about it. I'd like to see if this can be worked through before I obligate.

Latest posts

Back