Black Widow M/C Ramp for Pick-trucks

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John R

Reaction score
I bought the Black Widow Bike ramp for my F250 2WD. It's heavy and bulky. The black paint chips easily. Pain to carry in the truck when going from one place to the next. It works though and I'd buy it all over again. Couldn't find anything better.

I bought the Black Widow Bike ramp for my F250 2WD. It's heavy and bulky. The black paint chips easily. Pain to carry in the truck when going from one place to the next. It works though and I'd buy it all over again. Couldn't find anything better.

Can you post any pictures of it?

KJ, like your Myspace page. My wife and i Live in Atlanta, GA now via Lake Elmo, MN. We've always wanted to line in Alaska. Recently saw the Into The Wild movie. tragic, but still loved it. I used to camp and hunt/fish on the Canadian border for days on end. Miss it intensely.

82ndCowboy, Thank you for your service. I bought the 108" one from Discount ramps. Also bought the ratchet straps and strap savers (is that the right name?). Great investment, especialluy since the bike is tough to ride great distances. It makes travelling so much easier and I can carry camping equipment in the truck. Oh yeah, and beer too....

82ndCowboy, Thank you for your service. I bought the 108" one from Discount ramps. Also bought the ratchet straps and strap savers (is that the right name?). Great investment, especialluy since the bike is tough to ride great distances. It makes travelling so much easier and I can carry camping equipment in the truck. Oh yeah, and beer too....

I am so Jealous!
:punk:

KJ, like your Myspace page. My wife and i Live in Atlanta, GA now via Lake Elmo, MN. We've always wanted to line in Alaska. Recently saw the Into The Wild movie. tragic, but still loved it. I used to camp and hunt/fish on the Canadian border for days on end. Miss it intensely.

Thanks, I'm going to put more Alaska pictures up this weekend. I like it up here, There are miles of riding. Going down to the canyons, up to the mountains and even through the valley. its all good.

The movie was good. Pretty much glorified the kid's act. Many people up here don't feel the same way Sean Penn feels about it. They had the unofficial premere up here.

Penn said he wanted to capture the kid's spirit of adventure. He did that.

I was in Atlanta back in 94' for a AutoCAD convention, I loved it there. blew my mind when I heard about the tornado.

KJ, I agree that the movie glorified an act that was reckless. I can't help but think that he went up there for that reason. My wife and I love that PBS show about the retired carpenter who moved up and built a cabin. Some days I just want to drop everything and do the same thing.

82nd, yep. It comes in three sections that bolts or ties together. It was designed to have the bike ridden up on. Plenty of room to put your feet down going up and coming back down. I would not recommend Vboost going up. I also bought the wheel chock so that when I ride the bike up and put the front wheel in the chock, I can get off the bike and let go of it to out on the straps. It really is a one man operation. I have an extended cab truck, so the pieces fold up and go in the back of the cab. Very slick. I'm happy.

I got the Black Widow Ramp this week. I tried it out for the first time today.
All in all I think it was worth the money. Because my other option was buying a trailer to haul my Max and use it as a camper. But I decided to go the more thrifty route and buy a Tent that goes in the back of my truck, a 10x10 canopy for shading the Max, and the Black Widow Ramp for transporting my Max in the Pick-Up Truck.

Over the past couple of months I've been slowly gathering all the gear that I need to be able to throw everything in the back of my truck and head off to where ever and comfortably go camping at Bike Events.
The Black Widow Ramp allows me to ride the VMAX into the back as well.

I had no problems loading her right up in. Backing out the first time though was a bit nervy though. If you get moving too fast and use the front brake to much the front tire slides on the bed of the pickup. So caution is the key. And the second time I did it, I left the bike in gear and used the clutch as well.

If you are looking for a cheaper alternative to spending a few grand on a trailer. I recommend the Black Widow.

The only negatives I could come up with are...
The bolts are not recessed on the sides so the ramps don't sit tight to one another. But it does not cause any problems with loading or unloading. The safety straps are not the best quality. But they do perform their jobs sufficiently. I'll probably end up using my better quality straps.
And finally it has nothing to do with the Black Widow Ramp. But one draw back that should be addressed if you use this product is your tailgate support cables. I made a set of safety chains to use on the tailgate making sure all the components were rated at 800 lbs or more. See the pictures.
Some of you may be aware that GM recalled a bunch of their cables because they were breaking to easy due to corrosion getting in the cable and crimp.
Newer trucks have those crimped cables to support the tailgate in the down position. Well being the cautious person I am. I did some research on the weight rating on the cables. And none of the manufacturers list a weight rating. It's a liability issue for them. If they list a rating on them and someone is hurt or property is damaged, they are liable if there is a failure with weight put on the tailgate that is within that weight rating. So the manufacturers just plain out refuse to rate the cables capacity. And they never recommend putting any weight on the tailgate itself. They simply view the tailgate as an entryway into the bed, and that is all it is designed for.

All in all I'm happy with it and look forward to using just my truck as a mobile staging unit for future endeavors.

Attachments

• IMG_0026.JPG
    IMG_0026.JPG
    596.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0027.JPG
    IMG_0027.JPG
    638.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0028.JPG
    IMG_0028.JPG
    517.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0029.JPG
    IMG_0029.JPG
    437.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0030.JPG
    IMG_0030.JPG
    595.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0031.JPG
    IMG_0031.JPG
    626.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0032.JPG
    IMG_0032.JPG
    615.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0033.JPG
    IMG_0033.JPG
    563 KB · Views: 34
I got the Black Widow Ramp this week. I tried it out for the first time today.
All in all I think it was worth the money. Because my other option was buying a trailer to haul my Max and use it as a camper. But I decided to go the more thrifty route and buy a Tent that goes in the back of my truck, a 10x10 canopy for shading the Max, and the Black Widow Ramp for transporting my Max in the Pick-Up Truck.

Over the past couple of months I've been slowly gathering all the gear that I need to be able to throw everything in the back of my truck and head off to where ever and comfortably go camping at Bike Events.
The Black Widow Ramp allows me to ride the VMAX into the back as well.

I had no problems loading her right up in. Backing out the first time though was a bit nervy though. If you get moving too fast and use the front brake to much the front tire slides on the bed of the pickup. So caution is the key. And the second time I did it, I left the bike in gear and used the clutch as well.

If you are looking for a cheaper alternative to spending a few grand on a trailer. I recommend the Black Widow.

The only negatives I could come up with are...
The bolts are not recessed on the sides so the ramps don't sit tight to one another. But it does not cause any problems with loading or unloading. The safety straps are not the best quality. But they do perform their jobs sufficiently. I'll probably end up using my better quality straps.
And finally it has nothing to do with the Black Widow Ramp. But one draw back that should be addressed if you use this product is your tailgate support cables. I made a set of safety chains to use on the tailgate making sure all the components were rated at 800 lbs or more. See the pictures.
Some of you may be aware that GM recalled a bunch of their cables because they were breaking to easy due to corrosion getting in the cable and crimp.
Newer trucks have those crimped cables to support the tailgate in the down position. Well being the cautious person I am. I did some research on the weight rating on the cables. And none of the manufacturers list a weight rating. It's a liability issue for them. If they list a rating on them and someone is hurt or property is damaged, they are liable if there is a failure with weight put on the tailgate that is within that weight rating. So the manufacturers just plain out refuse to rate the cables capacity. And they never recommend putting any weight on the tailgate itself. They simply view the tailgate as an entryway into the bed, and that is all it is designed for.

All in all I'm happy with it and look forward to using just my truck as a mobile staging unit for future endeavors.

82nd.. looks good man. is your bike all back to good?

Great looking set-up Robert!! :clapping:

Bike looks like she's all back together too, nice job!! :thumbs up:

Why not a shake-down cruise to the Brownie Run in May??

ACtualy it's not, I have most of my parts in but haven't put them on yet. Just waiting on the order from Morley and Mondak Motors.
You can't tell in that picture but the scars, dents and bends are still there. except the handle bar. That is my stock bar. PLus she is filthy dirty. She needs a bath. LOL!
Hopefully everything will be in this week and I'll put my Ractec stuff in and put on all my new parts, wash, spit shine her up. Then I'll be ready for Leesburg Bike Fest.

Damn Rob!...didja have ta say 'spit shine'?.... Just when I thought I was finally all over the damned 'flashbacks'!!

I'd love to see it being 'ridden' up into the bed....bet that's a bit of a harrowing experience!

Not to 'steal' the thread', but I bought one of these last month:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa...earch.keyword=motorcycle+dolly&submit=find+it

It has proven to be a valuable thingie too.... Makes 'parking' in a tight garage space, a snap...

Best Wishes!..

U P

Back