Blanked off oil holes?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnpclynch

Reaction score
I'm looking at putting an oil cooler on my VMax and was thinking of getting an adapter plate off an old XS580 to go between the engine and oil filter.

Then I saw these "holes" just above the filter and to either side!
DSCN0589.JPG
They're about 1.5" deep and go nowhere
DSCN0590.JPG

My question is.. Are they blanks that can be drilled out?

Then I could divert the oil out one hole, through an oil cooler, and back in the other before going to the oil filter!

I found this picture on http://www.nitromax.nl/ which shows them from the inside!
VMPRBlokin9.jpg
On the far left you can make out the recesses above the oil filter mount and they connect downwards :eusa_dance:

Would they may have intended the VMax to have an oil cooler but cut costs?

I'll look into this some more before even thinking of drilling holes in the engine :whistlin:

I haevn't looked it over that good to see what they were designed for. A possibly easier oil cooler install would be a system from a Yamaha Seca Turbo. It simply uses an adapter under the stock filter housing extending it outward approx 1".

Sean

I haevn't looked it over that good to see what they were designed for. A possibly easier oil cooler install would be a system from a Yamaha Seca Turbo. It simply uses an adapter under the stock filter housing extending it outward approx 1".

Sean

Yes, same part in the Yamaha XS 850. Looking into sourcing one (ebay etc.)

Step1: Bolt on adapter plate with oil cooler
Step2: Modify engine (if possible) to replace adapter plate
Step3: Spin-on oil filter adapter

I've got a few around but haven't had time to mess with it. Plus, not really needed on even most modified maxes. I'm saving the few I have for any supercharger or Turbo kits we might eventually make.

Sean

Latest posts

Back