Bleed Brakes - Process?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Glenn

Reaction score
Thanks for looking in - Installed new pads and not sure how to bleed brakes?! Doesn't seem to work like my car - I tried pushing and hold brake down, open bleeder w/ tube in fluid, tightend bleeder -- but nothing really happening. I tried pumping brake and old fluid and a good bit of air did come out but brake isn't building any pressure. How should it do it? Thanks

Go to your nearest auto parts store and buy a MityVac. Makes life MUCH MUCH easier and makes the job VERY quick and easy.

Chris

Thanks - I think it's good to go. I'll know tomorrow - as it's the fourth and final day of tank sealer time! Hopefully the tank is good, carb work was a success?, and the brakes stop me?! If the bike fires up and sounds good again - it will be a successful learning curve for me on the VMax. She definitely needed a little TLC. Thanks for everyones help ---- and I'm hoping it will be awhile before seeking help.....but knowing my luck (and talent?) ---- I'll be posting tomorrow??!!

If your budget won't stretch to a Mityvac try reverse bleeding.

You need a large syringe which you connect to the bleed nipple. I've found that silicon hose is the best. Open the nipple enough to allow fluid to pass and slowly 'inject' the fluid.
Keep an eye on the reservoir and stop when you no longer get any bubbles or it is full. Remove the fluid to just above the bottom of the reservoir and repeat the process on the other side.

Once bled and you have a decent lever feel the icing on the cake is to tile the lever back and leave over night.
This allows any air left in the system to rise up and it will self bleed when you release the lever.

Whilst you can do this solo it is easier if you have a second pair of hands to help.

Thanks - I think it's good to go. I'll know tomorrow - as it's the fourth and final day of tank sealer time! Hopefully the tank is good, carb work was a success?, and the brakes stop me?! If the bike fires up and sounds good again - it will be a successful learning curve for me on the VMax. She definitely needed a little TLC. Thanks for everyones help ---- and I'm hoping it will be awhile before seeking help.....but knowing my luck (and talent?) ---- I'll be posting tomorrow??!!
I'll bet your posting tomorrow, but this time with a great big smile!:punk:

Took me 30 minutes with the mitivac to bleed the rear line, clutch line, and front brakes. I don't want to brag (yes I do lol) but I seem to have the "touch" when doing them. Even without the vac it still doesn't usually take all that long for me.

What I have found that works is to "bump", "flick", or flex the lines around a little bit to loosed up the air bubbles so they will move up and or down the lines. You would be surprised at how much actually comes out into the master and not out the bleeder.

Sean

Beg, borrow, or steal a vacuum bleeder.
I just replaced my 26 year old lines to the front with S/S.

(Yeah, I know I'm 20 years late!!)

Spent an hour pumping the lever with no effect.
My buddy has a shop, and kindly lent me this big floor standing unit, which worked great. Took about 15 minutes. I wanted to replace every bit of the old fluid - so I ran a quart of new fluid through the system. Did each caliper 3 times to be absolutely sure.

NOW I realise why you have to replace these hoses! Brake feel is rock solid, and I cannot get the lever anywhere near the grip. Before, with a good tug, I could touch lever to grip.

Now for a shameless plug:

Motion Craft
East Aurora NY
716-655-2490

Good people! Honest, and VERY competent in any type of repair.
Tim Wnek is the owner.

Mityvac ordered via Amazon and en route. Anxiously awaiting parts from Morley's Muscle for a complete braking upgrade and overhaul.

Back