Quantcast

Bleeding clutch

Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

Derek Benschoter

Reaction score
I just bought a 96 vmax 1200 , it's my first bike so I dont know much about them yet, when I pull the clutch in, there is no resistance so i checked some other threads and ive tried bleeding the clutch like normal to get any air out and I've tried pumping fluid into the bleeder valve but there's no pressure going in or coming out of the bleeder valve, all I know is the previous owner hadn't rode it in about 3 years, the fluid definitely needs changed but I cant get past this issue.

Fire-medic

Reaction score
First, welcome, lots of info here.

Second, put your location by your screen name/avatar. Someone local may be a resource.

Third, try the reverse-bleed. It's faster than anything else. Directions for making your own reverse-bleeding tool for cheap are included (link, below).

Advantages for the reverse-bleed:
1] you push any air bubbles up & out of the plumbing
2] you completely-change all the fluid
3] it's fast to-do, a bit messy, immediately wipe-off any spilled fluid, as DOT 3, 4, and 5.1 are all glycol-based, and will ruin painted surfaces. Note that DOT 5 and 5.1 are NOT compatible, and are NOT the same. DOT 5 is NOT compatible with DOT 3 or DOT 4 either
4] bleeding after total fluid replacement will prolong the brakes and the clutch master cylinders, and brake calipers. Glycol-based fluids are hygroscopic, they absorb water, which over-time, corrodes your components. Total fluid replacement is easiest with a reverse-bleed.

It's possible your clutch slave cylinder needs rebuilding or replacement. The link below also shows replacement of that.

https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/clutch-slave-cylinder-replacement.45011/

Last edited:

Latest posts