Blinker and horn blows it....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcoop99

Reaction score
What is happening that if my blinker is on and I hit the horn button, my signal fuse blows......Something is drawing too much, correct?

Sounds like it. Horn is causing the spike that puts the fuse above its threshold. Easiest thing to check, is it the right fuse? IE: maybe its a 10 in there instead of a 15 like it should be? I am sure one of the electrical gurus can chime in but often times it is possible to use a larger fuse without harm to the system and it may be just enough to correct your issue.

Are the blinkers and horn stock? If you are using an after market horn I would recommend a relay with an inline fuse directly to the battery (makes it louder in most cases too), this could also cause your problem since aftermarket horns need more than the factory meeper.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I have an aftermarket horn and led blinkers.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thats should be a short as the horn will never be high enough to run 10amps unless its a train horn... LOL

Great, a short. You should see the rats nest I have under my seat!! As Tex85 said, could I get by with a bit larger fuse in its place?

Great, a short. You should see the rats nest I have under my seat!! As Tex85 said, could I get by with a bit larger fuse in its place?

Not a good idea to put a larger than stock fuse in.
The fuse is sized to protect the wiring. If the fuse is too large, instead of the fuse blowing, the wire could melt and catch on fire.

I would suggest checking to see that the correct size fuse is installed. If it is and the problem persists, start checking your wiring. First thing I would do is unplug the hot wire for the horn circuit and run a continuity check to ground.

If its that bad i would get a good used harness to replace that one... 50 bucks should be enough to make you happy.

+1 on the new harness. I recently picked up one from an 07 that looked brand new for $70 on ebay. When I received it I also got all the relays and servos that were left on the harness. It only took 2 hours for me to replace my old one.

You guys have a link?

A standard, after market Wolo horn is recommended to be installed on a relay with a 20amp fuse inline. You maybe should just rewire your horn to it's own 20amp circuit with a proper relay.

A standard, after market Wolo horn is recommended to be installed on a relay with a 20amp fuse inline. You maybe should just rewire your horn to it's own 20amp circuit with a proper relay.

Thanks a lot! I have a separate relay and fuse on the way. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back