blowing fuses

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troyh

Reaction score
i have a 91 vmax that just started blowing the igntion fuse. 6 times. no changes were made to the bike. sometimes it blows as soon as i put it in gear other times after i drive a few miles. i changed fuses and with engine off turned on and of signals while in neutral held brake trying to blow fuse but it was ok. started bike same thing. tore apart bike following wires looking for short. cant find any. sprayed wd40 in starter botton to besure not sticking.

thanks for any help
30.gif

Start unplugging components downline from the ignition fuse like vboost, fuel pump, etc. A circuit diagram would be helpful. An online version is on vmaxoutlaw.com

Well, I had a similiar issue. I would start with your neutral saftey switch wire first. Since you did say it happen with gear selection. Good luck just a short somewhere. Roy

I looked at the wire diagram. It is a little to hard for me to follow. I put a new fuse in with the engine off turned key on neutral light on, turn signal on, brake light on put in gear blew fuse. So I thought it would be something with the neutral light wire or the bunch of wires that go between the gear selector shaft and case. Found no shorts. I tried a new fuze could not make it blow with gear shift. However I pulled the hand brake while all other lights on as before and it blew.

hmmm.......well, it sounds to me like you have to have a lot of things on to make it blow, but at the same time you have mentioned that it has done it to you mostly by gear selection. Try to narrow it down by doing one thing and moving around the wires or shaking the bike a little. Try an eliminate one thing at a time, its really the only way to find a short, such a pain. Good luck, Roy

p.s. just dont put higher fuse in it for a fix. HUGE MESS THEN. (if you didnt know already)

Latest posts

Back