Blown up tranny????

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty McNeil

Reaction score
Well, I think I finally did it.

After finishing my new clutch and double D mod the bike ran and shifted perfectly, I put about 150 miles on it since Friday and no problems other than I'm really not getting used to the lever effort like I though I would. Normal riding was fine but trying to pin it into the next gear when at WOT seemed to be eluding me; since I was used to very lightly "fanning" the clutch lever with very little actual lever movement, there is no "fanning" this clutch.

Well, I thought I simply missed a 1-2 shift and banged it into nuetral when it overrevved.,I Rolled to the side of the road and tried to put it into gear, nothing, tried all the gears, still nothing.

Nuetral indicator worksClutch "feels" normal still.
With the engine running it feels like its shifting through every gear; but no output.
With the engine off it won't shift even if you roll the bike back and forth a little.
There are no clanking sounds like it's got a broken drive shaft.

Any ideas, I'm confused by how it feels like it's shifting though every gear since I thought if it was a fork/drum problem it wouldn't do that, guessed it's more serious???

Any input is appreciated,

Rusty

It sounds like the shift drum is okay. Maybe check your drive shaft and u-joint first.

Does it roll when it's in gear and the clutch out? I would not put it past it being a broken drive shaft.

You would not have destroyed the trans enough for it to not have some resistance if it was internal.

Do you hear the shift mechanism working?

Get the bike on the centerstand and look into the swingarm from the front of the bike (either lift up the rubber boot or slide it backwards). Rotate the tire and see if the u-joint moves.

Sean Morley

Does it roll when it's in gear and the clutch out? I would not put it past it being a broken drive shaft.

You would not have destroyed the trans enough for it to not have some resistance if it was internal.

Do you hear the shift mechanism working?

Get the bike on the centerstand and look into the swingarm from the front of the bike (either lift up the rubber boot or slide it backwards). Rotate the tire and see if the u-joint moves.

Sean Morley

It will roll in any gear with the clutch out, with no resistance, like it's in neutral.

If the engine is running it will shift thru all the gears, even with the clutch out, and feels completely normal, and sounds normal, like it would if you were sitting there holding the clutch in shifting gears. The neutral indicator also works.

If you put it in a gear and release the clutch you can hear the transmsion turning.

By all intents and purposes it acts like a broken driveshaft;

But;

I would have thought that with a broken driveshaft I would either hear something flopping around insdie the swingarm when the output gear is turning, or hear something when I just roll the bike around, depending on where it's broken. This one does neither.

The other thing was I would have thought if I was to break a driveshaft it would happen at a "torkier" RPM, not at a 1-2 shift at redline....I don't know tho' since I don't have any experience with broken ones.......

thanks guys,

Rusty

Damn Rusty... you are scaring me... I just did the Double D mod about a month ago.... It sounds like you may have avoided a blown tranny by breaking the drive shaft (hopefully, I think that would be a cheaper and faster fix).

I debated doing the double d just for that fact. I didn't know if I should leave the clutch as the "weak link" in the system. So far no problems as of yet... we'll see. Keep us posted with what you find.

Good luck.

Jeff

This is the reason why Yamaha built the Vmax clutch to slip. It's cheaper and easier to replaced clutch discs/plates than a broken tranny and/or final drive.

This is the reason why Yamaha built the Vmax clutch to slip. It's cheaper and easier to replaced clutch discs/plates than a broken tranny and/or final drive.

On that thought, while doing my clutch it kinda looks like they designed it to minimize wear on the ALUMINUM pressure plate and clutch boss as well. The half disc riding on the clutch boss along with that real thin diaphragm spring in there giving it some "give" as it engages, and the different part number on the outermost friction plate that rides against the pressure plate sort of make me think so?:confused2:

Thoughts??:confused2:

I hope like hell it's my driveshaft that's broken:punk:, can't wait to get home and dive into it.

Damn Rusty... you are scaring me... I just did the Double D mod about a month ago.... It sounds like you may have avoided a blown tranny by breaking the drive shaft (hopefully, I think that would be a cheaper and faster fix).

I debated doing the double d just for that fact. I didn't know if I should leave the clutch as the "weak link" in the system. So far no problems as of yet... we'll see. Keep us posted with what you find.

Good luck.

Jeff

I do have to admit I was riding the holy crap out of it, if ridden normally it would have been fine but what fun is that?

Rusty

That's almost exactly when the driveshaft will pop is on the 1-2 shift. I broke an engine case last year doing the same thing but I had a larger driveshaft in it.

Sean

That's almost exactly when the driveshaft will pop is on the 1-2 shift. I broke an engine case last year doing the same thing but I had a larger driveshaft in it.

Sean

If the driveshaft is broken should I be hearing something flopping around in there? or not necassarily?

Where do they usually break? up towards the u-joint or back by the pinion gear?

thanks,

Rusty

Sean

I need to get a spare driveshaft too.I think I will stick to stock shafts just for that reason.

There is no particular place they will break. I have had it many different ways.

Sean

:eusa_dance:yippeeeeeee

Broken driveshaft!!!!!!

Broke exactly in the middle, looks like it was cut with a bandsaw...

Already found a friend with a stretched max that will sell me his old one.....

Anybody know what it's worth?

I told him I didn't wanna screw him, just give him what they sell for used commercially and save me the time of ordering one and waiting....,

I checked all the main vendors that list parts and nobody has it up, haven't made any calls yet.....

Thanks again to everyone for all your help....

Rusty

:eusa_dance:yippeeeeeee

Broken driveshaft!!!!!!

Broke exactly in the middle, looks like it was cut with a bandsaw...

Already found a friend with a stretched max that will sell me his old one.....

Anybody know what it's worth?

I told him I didn't wanna screw him, just give him what they sell for used commercially and save me the time of ordering one and waiting....,

I checked all the main vendors that list parts and nobody has it up, haven't made any calls yet.....

Thanks again to everyone for all your help....

Rusty

bikebandit can give you the full retail price.

around $50 would be fair. They aren't much over $100 new (or at least they weren't last time I actually paid for a new one)

Sean

Back