Blue away&blue buster, anyone try it?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnmax

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried the Blue Away or the Blue Buster Gel or powder? Suppose to take the blue off of head pipes. Does it work? Thanks

Has anyone ever tried the Blue Away or the Blue Buster Gel or powder? Suppose to take the blue off of head pipes. Does it work? Thanks

I guess the H-D blue away stuff is supposed to work well or so I hear. Not sure the brand that Harley puts their name on though.

Don't use it, it sucks. Use Purple Metal Polish or Honda Metal Polish.

After years of trying to keep the blueing away, I gave up :bang head:

To me, it's a loosing battle on a chrome exhaust system. My Kerker exhaust has the blueing affect especially on the 2 rear pipes.

Mike

The only thing I know that works on a newly cleaned or new, chrome pipes is to coat the inside of the pipe with bearing grease, keeps the blue away for a while but your neighbors are bound to call the fire department first five minutes after you start her up.

After years of trying to keep the blueing away, I gave up :bang head:

To me, it's a loosing battle on a chrome exhaust system. My Kerker exhaust has the blueing affect especially on the 2 rear pipes.

Mike

Thanks,

I know I cant keep the blues away. I just happen to have the Kerker off right now, otherwise I wouldnt even bother. I just wanted to clean it up a little since it was off. Thanks

I used blue job before and it worked fairly well but you have to use it frequently...once the blueing builds up beyond a certain point it won't help. i also gave up using it due to this PITA factor (also had dynokote on the inside of the pipes)

I use exhaust header wrap Works so well wrap your head pipes and you will never see blue again :rofl_200:

the word around harley tuning is blueing is caused by running rich.....leaving choke on to long or timimg to retarded......how many with blueing running carb kits ?..........

Blueing, if anything...is lean due to running hot. Sometimes the rear header does it just because....lack of air back there. Stock Vmax headers don't because the front headers are double walled and the rear headers aren't chrome.

Thanks,

I know I cant keep the blues away. I just happen to have the Kerker off right now, otherwise I wouldnt even bother. I just wanted to clean it up a little since it was off. Thanks

When I originally bought my Kerker - the installation instruction recommended that the inside pipes be coated with a white high heat paint, which I did which lasted about one riding season. My pipes have over 80000 miles on them and all considering, they are not too bad except the rear headpipes.

Mike

Blueing, if anything...is lean due to running hot. Sometimes the rear header does it just because....lack of air back there. Stock Vmax headers don't because the front headers are double walled and the rear headers aren't chrome.

unburnt gas starts burning as it leaves the exhaust due to the heat of pipes .....burns again in pipe causing extra heat.....so your right about running hot.....goldish color is considered lean or a good tune....heavy blue purple is heat due to gas

Thanks Guys,

I am aware of the reasons for discoloration. As SS113 said yellow is lean to a good tune and bluing is a rich tune and or excessive heat.

My bike has perfect Air fuel ratio. I have a 1500 tourmaster and my blueing is from excessive heat.

I really dont care about the blueing, I know it will come back. I just happen to have the exhaust off and thought about cleaning it up a little. I will probably never do it again unless I have the exhaust off for some reason.

I just wanted to know it the product does as it says. I didnt want to waste my money or effort. But if ya think about it it would be a waste of time and money, due to the fact it will come back

i could change main jets on my 113larger jet start to blue...jet back down after a week blue would start getting lighter and turn gold again......but the blue away or blue job does work to a point..thik it works better on new crome pipes then older seasoned cromes pipes

the word around harley tuning is blueing is caused by running rich.....leaving choke on to long or timimg to retarded......how many with blueing running carb kits ?..........

Rich:ummm:
L E A N HEAT HIGH Burning chrome causing nickel to come through

Back