bolt on chain conversion kit

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xschop

Reaction score
I have been wanting to see if a true bolt-on chain-drive conversion housing can be designed for the V-max....I designed one for the XS750/850 and the XS1100 which are all shaft drive. I have my own CNC machine and sell the housings with all hardware for $450....I was curious what size billet I would have to start with.....

From what I've seen and heard, 'bolt-on' is never gonna really be an option, as the output shaft needs modification. Correct me if I'm wrong..

Went with a 200 rear tire and single sided swingarm to make it sick....
MySamsung50Pics199.jpg

MySamsung50Pics094.jpg

That bike looks awesome!
See if this picture from the service manual helps. Hopefully Sean sees this thread too.

Attachments

• start1_Page_020.jpg
    start1_Page_020.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 101
I've seen that diagram and the diagram of the empty case. What I have never seen is a pic of is how far the catch splines protrude into the middle drive housing.... The bearings on the outside of the Vmax Middle drive are immersed in oil? That would just be a matter of machining an area for a sealed-prelubed bearing that held the middle shaft...

I am sure Sean would know off the bat the engagement but I am going to be splitting my cases real soon. I could get the measurments and take pics if needed
Cheers

Thanks for the comments. I hand built and tuned the exhausts (There is no inside baffle)....Plenty of power. I never liked the "jack-shaft" reaction of the driveshaft and decided to design a chaindrive for it. It releases more power to the ground because you get rid of 2 90 degree bevel drives from the equation....not to mention the weight reduction and fatter tire. No more getting squirley in the corners. I am also curious of the Vmax's swingarm pivot end-to end length. It is designed after the XS11's pivot bolts. I designed a kit that bolts up a Kawasaki ZRX11-12 swingarm and the dims could be modded for the VMAX

The V-max swingarm length is 19 1/8"(center of front pivot to center or rear axle). The Pivot width is 13 1/4"(from inside left frame rail to inside right frame rail). The ZRX swingarm would look good on the V-max. Its alum, tubular and i "believe" they have some bracing as well. They run dual rear shocks so that helps too.

EASy fit then.....
The big question is....does the VMax's rear wheel centerline lie right in the middle of the inner frame pivot points?
If so the ZRX swingarm adapters can be lengthened on both ends....BUt that's all trivial.
I used an '07 Triumph ST SSSA and made custom adapters for the XS11 pivot bolts (JUST like the Vmax's)
But if I do Up a Max myself, I will use a Ducati SSSA from the even ended CC bikes, like 748 IIRC, because there is an upper monoshock tab machined from the factory that would save alot of modding.....

I better jump in here... not that I know a whole lot, but I want to do this for the next mod to the drag bike. Sean has given me some parts from a chain drive engine he had, and there might be a fairly simple conversion we can dream up. The swingarm/chain guard will be the more complex part of this, but it can be done. To get a sproket out the side of the secondary gear cover is fairly simple, and Sean has given me parts/ideas to help with this. I believe he even has a way to oil the outer bearing to help with the bearing life. The only machining would be to the secondary gear cover. We would probably have to have offset primary gears made up, but I'm sure Kosman or someone else has them already. Getting the sprokets lined up and the swingarm is going to be the real kicker. PM me if you need some pics of what I have. I'm sure Sean will be able to shed some more light on this, but I wanted to let you know I am VERY interested in this and maybe we can get a project going that is similar to the fuel injection project a few of the guys are working on.

Post pics in here. I would like to be the first to design a true bolt-on kit. I just modded the XS11's middle drive shaft to fit the double shielded bearings that were the same dims as the factory ones that were exposed roller oil-cooled type....works great......My friend has 2 max's and is interested in a kit also.
Swingarms and sprockets are easy to do/mod-up.....

Jeff has a few of the parts you are looking for that I gave him. The hardest part is getting the parts you want out without having to remove the engine which I am not 100% sure is possible though I have never tried it.

Some pics i have.

Sean

Attachments

• New Chain Drive Conversion.jpg
    New Chain Drive Conversion.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 148
  • 1570 Chain Drive 1.jpg
    1570 Chain Drive 1.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 158
  • 1570 Chain Drive 2.jpg
    1570 Chain Drive 2.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 134
  • Chain Drive 0 Wide Conversion.jpg
    Chain Drive 0 Wide Conversion.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 163
  • Chain Drive FZR Conversion.jpg
    Chain Drive FZR Conversion.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 237
Went with a 200 rear tire and single sided swingarm to make it sick....

Welcome to the Forum! That thing looks pissed off! Love it. Your being an XS guy have you ever done a 650/750 Street Tracker? I've always wanted to do one.

The bolt on conversion has been done before for the Max. Only the ones I've seen were for car tire drag bikes. Looked into doing one... but it would require a pretty extensive frame mod. The chain line ends up on the outside of the frame rail if you were to just come off of the outer case. Here's a couple of old pics I have of one of those.

Big Tire Side VMAX .jpg

Big Tire VMAX .jpg

Suppose you could do a jack-shaft deal, but it gets messy. I'm starting to collect parts for my next bike. I've picked a late model R1 front end and a set of wheels. Once we wrap up the EFI project I'll be working on a 4130 Chrome-Moly frame for the VMAX. ( next winter) It will be chain drive and I do plan to go the way your wanting to do the conversion. I can very well work around what you make. So post up what you need for dimensions and I'll give you the info. I have the bolt pattern for outer crank case cover if you want that.

The XS11 just needed a fatter rear tire to put down the power. The stock rear tire is a 130!....Thanks for the props....
Those pics clear things up. Looks like there's 2 ways of doing the chaindrive for the max. The 2nd pic puts the sprocket outside the middle drive cover. This would be EASY to make the conversion parts for, however maybe the chainpath hits the left frame pivot area, which the chain can be run outside left of it. The other way is to cut a chain path in the upper and lower case (chain path clears the stock frame pivot) and find the right sprocket to slip on and build spacers accordingly......
I would prefer the second method personally. I'm still wondering if the shaft absolutely needs to be removed to accomplish this......

The XS11 just needed a fatter rear tire to put down the power. The stock rear tire is a 130!....Thanks for the props....
Those pics clear things up. Looks like there's 2 ways of doing the chaindrive for the max. The 2nd pic puts the sprocket outside the middle drive cover. This would be EASY to make the conversion parts for, however maybe the chainpath hits the left frame pivot area, which the chain can be run outside left of it. The other way is to cut a chain path in the upper and lower case (chain path clears the stock frame pivot) and find the right sprocket to slip on and build spacers accordingly......
I would prefer the second method personally. I'm still wondering if the shaft absolutely needs to be removed to accomplish this......

Yes it does unfortunately... that's the reason the cost is so high. There are some mods to the oil supply also... once you cut into that cavity there isn't a seal between the transmission and the cavity.

I ran into the dilemma of putting the chainpath of the XS11 outside the stock left frame pivot originally and found that with ANY single sided swingarm you could make a rear sprocket spacer to line up with the chain very easily (nothing in the way to go as far out as you'd like). But I don't like that look....too "Harly-esque".
The second method for the max (just by looking at pics) looks like the stock shaft does not have to be modded or welded on......this is the ideal method.....have you ever tried to lathe a hardened shaft?:bang head::bang head::bang head:

Latest posts

Back