bolt on chain conversion kit

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to cut anyone down BUT:
over the years I keep hearing from people about how they are going to build a bolt on chain drive kit only to never hear from them again once they realize that it's not really practical. The kit for the XS looks great but is obviously a different engine that allowed removal of the needed parts to do it.

I'm sure a kit similar to what we have will be what you end up with but then you still either have to run an offset sprocket or modify the frame.

I do hope you take this all the way as I'd love to see it and maybe even be a potential customer.

Sean

Not to cut anyone down BUT:
over the years I keep hearing from people about how they are going to build a bolt on chain drive kit only to never hear from them again once they realize that it's not really practical. The kit for the XS looks great but is obviously a different engine that allowed removal of the needed parts to do it.

I'm sure a kit similar to what we have will be what you end up with but then you still either have to run an offset sprocket or modify the frame.

I do hope you take this all the way as I'd love to see it and maybe even be a potential customer.

Sean

The biggest problem would be pulling the motor and splitting the cases, that would put 99% of people off IMO.
I do have a solution that involves not having to do that. It won't provide a power advantage but if someone wants the wow factor and the ability to change ratio's easily, it can be done as I have already done it before.
I have made a jig for my own swingarm extension today, which I can easily use for this as well . I have a suzuki wheel which I can use for it and I think I'll make one for the hell of it and probably sell it off when finished as I don't really have the desire to run chain.

Last edited:
"I'm sure a kit similar to what we have will be what you end up with"
I'm not sure what kit/pics/parts you are talking about that you have.

The machining of a 1-piece shaft extension with a custom bearing setup would make the dream come true, now that I have torn everything apart, I see the light.

"but then you still either have to run an offset sprocket or modify the frame"
Glad you mentioned that. Since I don't have a frame I would need a few of you guys to measure the offset from the center of the outer cover to the outer edge of the swingarm pivot cap. .25 to 0.5 " out from that will be the inner chain face on what I build.

One other question....Discounting labor, what all parts (gaskets etc.) are needed after splitting cases and removing outer bevel gear to reinstall?

""""Not to cut anyone down BUT:
over the years I keep hearing from people about how they are going to build a bolt on chain drive kit only to never hear from them again once they realize that it's not really practical"""""

This mod/conversion will not be for the practical everyday person. Kind of like the conversion kit I just built for the Corvette powered Porsche.

I can get a frame to you... if you need to borrow one. I'd like to get it back when your done because it has a title. Give me a call and we can make arrangements. How about some pics of that bad boy Porsche?

I don't need a frame I can get a few measurements from my Friend that has 2 of the bikes.Thanks though..........

I'm just about finished with the swap, I am doing alot of custom work to it. I designed motor mounts and custom adapter plate/ Throwout Bearing that uses the Corvette C5 Bellhousing to mate to the Porsche 944 torque tube (tranny sits in rear of car).....
S5000020.jpg

S5000015.jpg

C5bellhousing-1.jpg

S5000032.jpg

S5000057.jpg

S5000060.jpg

Image007-2.jpg

Sitting in a Texas field when I picked her up.....
944V8Swap.jpg

944V8Swap3.jpg

944V8Swap2.jpg

944V8Swap4.jpg

How do you stop the beast you may ask....
Lexus LS 430 4-pot calipers with custom bracket to mount Porsche Boxster 318mm Rotors....
Few swap guys and I are working on a Hydroboost system for the Big cam motors....

S5000050.jpg

S5000051.jpg

All mounted on the 944 spindle....
S5000052.jpg

Sorry to get off track.

That's going to be a bad ass ride. I like sleeper! :worthy: As long we're off track... check out this twin turbo 69 Camaro my friend and I did up. It would look very nice sittin on top of that Chevy motor in the Porsche. took it to the 500 + Hp zone. Pretty sick.

Hit the auto play button at the lower left hand corner of the picture.

TWIN TURBO 69 CAMARO

That's the sickness:punk:
Can I link it up with my Friends 944 Hybrids site.
Kind of funny, The reason why I made the swap kit is because most folks want the LT1 in the 944 for hood clearance reasons. I actually have the 5.3l Truck motor in mine (3rd pic is another swap). If you don't know, The 5.3l is machined exactly like the Vette motor except it has an iron block. But the kicker is with simple cam and head swap= 450HP, no turbo needed.:biglaugh:
Anything you can do to the $4-5K Vette motor, you can do to the$1k Ironblock. I am putting the C5 Vette intake and water pump on tomorrow.....:clapping:

That's the sickness:punk:
Can I link it up with my Friends 944 Hybrids site.
Kind of funny, The reason why I made the swap kit is because most folks want the LT1 in the 944 for hood clearance reasons. I actually have the 5.3l Truck motor in mine (3rd pic is another swap). If you don't know, The 5.3l is machined exactly like the Vette motor except it has an iron block. But the kicker is with simple cam and head swap= 450HP, no turbo needed.:biglaugh:
Anything you can do to the $4-5K Vette motor, you can do to the$1k Ironblock. I am putting the C5 Vette intake and water pump on tomorrow.....:clapping:

Sure you can here's the url

http://www.turbovmax.com/index/friends/people/mike_coakley/camaro_69.htm

Nice work! How much do you get for the 944 kit? That Camaro's stupid fast... goes side ways if you stab it at 100 MPH. Its' capable of going to the 1000 hp club but it would eventually blow up.

Looks like a conventionally done chain drive conversion to me.

Sean

Look at the lower left frame and size of the tire. Can't see the details up front... but it doesn't seem possible unless they used a jack shaft.

xschop... this otta give you an idea as to how far out board your going to go with drive conversion.

belt.jpg

We just had a customer pick up his blower bike from us. It needed a trans replaced so we put an overdrive on it.

The bike is a 1428cc Chaindrive Supercharged with 280 rear tire. They machined the cases twice (looks like the first time was for normal tire setup). They then made special engine mounts and shifted the engine to the left about an 1/8" or so. Then they machined the case down to where it was just thickness of the bolted area to hold the outer bearing. The rear wheel is still installed with a slight degree of angle so it will clear the chain at the front of the tire. Surprisingly it drives just fine and does not give any feeling back to the rider that it's off like it is.

Sean

Latest posts

Back