bolt on chain conversion kit

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like he went with a sealed outer bearing:biglaugh:

xschop,

When you get ready for a sealed(or non, whichever you need) ceramic bearing, gimmie a shout. I know a fella that may be able to get them for ya cheaper than retail. I've picked up sets of wheelbearings(5 bearings) from him for $50 cheaper than what Schnitz and the like sell them for. He gets them directly from WorldWideBearings and they are drop shipped to ya from them.

I don't think 'bolt on' is ever gonna happen on a Max - there's some pretty serious modding required to get there from what I've heard/seen..

Yea, i keep saying that there is not going to be a bolt on chain drive. Someone needs to prove me wrong.

Sean

I'm back to regular programming. I haven't forgot about this project. I am about done doing all the custom stuff to my Chevy Powered Porsche and will be working on this Vmax chaindrive kit during the next few weeks.

First things first, I want to confirm that the 2 roller bearings (with pins) that are on the end of the tranny shaft and in the middle before the large spring actually keep the tranny gears from walking side-to-side? Reason why this info is important, because the 1-piece shaft that will slip over the main shaft can be done 2 different ways if the outer bearing keeper clips can be removed and the stock outter bearing can be kept by the New Outter cover that will be machined with an oil seal.

If this is true, then there are two different 1-piece shaft designs to be mulled.
One incorporating the large tension spring and one without. I am leaning towards keeping the spring and bevel INPUT drive (BEVEL GEAR will be tossed for good) to keep tension on the entire shaft and gears even if they can't walk around due to the pinned roller bearings.

The other design would include a sleeve to replace the large spring and would have to be machined with a tight tolerance to keep the 1-piece shaft pressed firmly against the inside roller bearing.

The Engine case I have in hand is empty and I don't have the outter bearing oiler tube like I see in the schematics. But I have decided to keep the oiled bearing in tact and machine an outter case with a shaft seal and incorporate a nice sprocket cover to match.

Anyone have any more input before I start surgery, please butt in.....

I found the dims to the Triumph swingarm. I can easily modify the adapters I designed to fit it to the Vmax if someone wants to fit this monster. It can be spaced to the left for even wider rim choices if the 200 stock tire doesn't provide enough grip....:rofl_200:

xs11-triumphswingarm002.jpg

That would be a cool conversion piece for sure. Don't remember how strong they were but probably stronger then the frame on the Vmax is. I am sure that can be beefed up too.

Sean

It is the strongest factory SSSA next to the new Ducati 1098 braced.
I got the whole rear set-up for less than 6 bills off the bay.
And since the chain will ride outside the frame, a single shock can be modded to the Vmax frame and directly to the swingarm, no need to bother with a monoshock under the stock frame if you want a simple conversion. I think It would look sick.

While we're on swingarm subject...what is the diameter of the stock pivot bolt that inserts into the Vmax swingarm bearing? The XS11 is 17mm and perfect for modding all the 25mm Diameter swingarm pivot bolts to all the newer factory swing-arms

Back