bolt on chain conversion kit

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
16.95mm is the OD of the shaft that fits into the bearing and I was getting 21.86mm and 21.5 on the OD of the threads (the first was for the adjustable pivot bolt and the second was for the fixed pivot bolt) I know they both have the same 22mm threads, so I'm sure they difference is in tolerance/machining. Let me know if you need anything else, I'm VERY interested in this project.

Jeff

Looks like the XS11 and Vmax have more and more in common. 17mm pivot bolt then. Which side of the Vmax frame does the fixed pivot bolt go? Is it inserted from the inside of the frame?
The XS has both bolt adjustable so you can have a few mm's of centerline adjustment even.

The fixed is normally on the left side but the trick is to use a second right side adjustable pivot and jam nut on that side and use it to adjust as needed. This can allow about .250-.300 in most cases of adjustment.

Sean

HubeerJW, what sprocket is that from on bottom of page 7?
Someone mentioned FZR sprockets. I want to incorporate that lock tab and bolt into the shaft design.

I also see that the oil passage feeds through the trans shaft and lubes the outter bevel gear. Would there be a problem if it is covered up since the Bevel gear will be tossed for the swap and a 1-piece shaft installed over the hole?

Probably. Most likely due to the fact that it's not really practical for a "bolt on" conversion. Too much stuff needs removed that can't be taken out without the engine coming out and apart.

Sean

Probably. Most likely due to the fact that it's not really practical for a "bolt on" conversion. Too much stuff needs removed that can't be taken out without the engine coming out and apart.

Sean

+1 thats just not going to happen with this engine. Big difference between this and the XS powerplant.

I'm looking for someone that would like to build a spondon type frame here in the states to go with my Vmax chaindrive setup and SSSA....
This will not be an easy swap kit to install, but will not require case cutting OR shaft welding. I have a guy that will cut the 1 piece shaft needed and I will make the CNC parts....
01.jpg

pavelsmax03.jpg

Pretty dang sweet frame setup.

As noted, not sure what you are going to do with the chain conversion but the external chain conversion noted previously does not require case cutting and only a couple of simpler parts to be made.

Sean

This thread is too good to let die! I'm gonna 'try' to get a chain drive conversion over the winter. I've talked to PCW, and I was going to give Tom a call at COO and see what his schedule and costs looked like. The parts/technology/knowledge are out there, we just need to bring it all together. I'm not sure what the final goal is here, but I'm sure I will lear lots along the way.... coming from a guy who hasn't even split the cases on a VMax before. Anyone else want in?

Jeff

I think I will finaly say that Im working on this.
But my goal is belt drive.
Its gonna be ss swingarm from VFR.
Already bought nice set with rim.

I found some great customer support from Gates company.
I have a spare engine cases(bad), spare transmisions.
Curently im working on the frame jig couse I dont wont to mess with my
bike unnesecerly.

My plan is little crazy, Im gonna remove some serious part of the block.
Its all depends from my winter funds and thats a lottery.

On the side note, as far as I was digging into it I will say that IMHO bolt on converiosn is not possible.
I just found it out myself...

I have to find that stuff out the hard way, and if was easy, it would have been done already. I'll probably end up paying someone to do it, but I've got more time than $$, so I might as well do some playing in the garage and see if I can come up with anything.

Please feel free to share any pitcures or updates!

Thanks,

Jeff

The inner right angle drive pinion wheel must be removed, then a bolt-on kit can install with unlimited sprocket choices, but YES, the cases must be split ONLY ONCE. Not sure what PCW charges but I have a very close cost of what I would put them together for. My Porsche V8 conversion is done and I can dedicate some time to this.

I have to find that stuff out the hard way, and if was easy, it would have been done already. I'll probably end up paying someone to do it, but I've got more time than $$, so I might as well do some playing in the garage and see if I can come up with anything.

Please feel free to share any pitcures or updates!

Thanks,

Jeff
Sure will do but it will rather happen at winter.

I'll go ahead and add a picture of the external conversion. This is likely the only "bolt on" way though the cases do need to be split. Some sort of very custom sprocket to shift the chain outside of the swingarm and back. Really maybe only practical if going a very wide wheel setup. Frame will still require mods, swingarm mods, wheel mods and more. Again not an easy conversion.

Attachments

• Chain Drive FZR Conversion.JPG
    Chain Drive FZR Conversion.JPG
    594.7 KB · Views: 0
  • External Chain Conversion Pic 1.jpg
    External Chain Conversion Pic 1.jpg
    404.2 KB · Views: 0
  • External Chain Conversion Pic 2.jpg
    External Chain Conversion Pic 2.jpg
    498.8 KB · Views: 0
Back