Bolt Size for Front fender?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V-Four

Reaction score
Hey Gang,

Another quick (and random) question:

Can anyone please tell me the exact bolt size for the bolts that hold the front fender on? (including length).

(and the reason-if anyone cares):
I am finally putting "spacers" on to lower my front fender due to my smaller front tire. (The gap has been bugging me for a while, and I'm finally going in.)

I would measure myself, but I haven't pulled the wheel yet..and Im at work...working very hard..as you can tell.
;)

Thank you much.

T$

Yea, component number 3 in the list..the four that u gotta remove the front wheel to get to. :/

I've searched the net, and get the number, but they don't say the bolt size. I need to find some that are about 3/4" longer than stock to lower my front fender with some spacers.

I can wait til I take mine off, but that means running back out to the store after I get the wheel off.

I figured maybe someone knows the size, or has their bike apart at the moment that they cld let me know.
;)

I just had mine off a few days ago. I think it's an M6 bolt with a 10mm head.

Mines is not apart right now but I believe you can take the 4 allen head screws off of the forkbrace then take the fender off without removing the wheel. I've painted my fender 3 times and I've never taken the wheel off yet-I also don't recall all 4 of mine being the same stock bolts and i don't think i have spacers either. Sorry.

I just had mine off a few days ago. I think it's an M6 bolt with a 10mm head.

that does sound right. thanks.

I believe you can take the 4 allen head screws off of the forkbrace then take the fender off without removing the wheel. ...

Really.. hmmm.. so I've been doing it the hard way all this time? :bang head:
(ok, well once. ;) )

I thought I read way back somewhere that you had to remove the wheel.
So I did. (which isn't really that bad..just annoying cuz I got no center stand.)

I appreciate the tip.
(and I think Im gonna hit ya up for the COPs ..eventually. ;) )

T$

Mines is not apart right now but I believe you can take the 4 allen head screws off of the forkbrace then take the fender off without removing the wheel. I've painted my fender 3 times and I've never taken the wheel off yet-I also don't recall all 4 of mine being the same stock bolts and i don't think i have spacers either. Sorry.

I may be mistaken but, I believe that only works on 85-92 bikes with the smaller OD forks. 93+ bikes need to be done the hard way due to clearance issues with the 43mm OD forks.

As far as the bolt size goes, if you use the Yamaha method of determination, I believe it is a M6 x 16mm bolt. 97011-06016-00

06016 in the part number means M6x16mm.

Hope that helps.

Later, Doug

Helps a lot.. mucho gracias
:punk:

I may be mistaken but, I believe that only works on 85-92 bikes with the smaller OD forks. 93+ bikes need to be done the hard way due to clearance issues with the 43mm OD forks.

As far as the bolt size goes, if you use the Yamaha method of determination, I believe it is a M6 x 16mm bolt. 97011-06016-00

and thank you too.
:eusa_dance:

Okay, heres the deal.

I started removing each of the 4 forkbrace bolts (1/4 turn at a time, as that's about all my allen cluster could muster), and as they loosened, the entire fender started rocking..i was all excited that I didn't have to remove the wheel..I almost stopped in the middle to come thank the forum..but I was too excited.

Removed all 4 , put them on the shelf. Gave the fender assembly a gentle "lift" (as my 02 with "AFTERMARKET FORK BRACE" does not allow the entire unit to slide "through to the front".

Cant pull through, brace stops it-
cant pull up, fender stops it :bang head:

So I chuckled to myself a little as I tightened all 4 bolts..1/4 turn at a time and wondered whether or not I would pull the wheel at that moment, or wait til today.
So I removed my old grips cleaned the bars and prepped to install the new grips. (don't know if yall remember my thread on trying to remove the old grips, but they were ON THERE.- Finally got em off w/razor knife/chisel, which I actually bent/hack saw/channel locks/vise grips and goo gone.)
Needless to say, I wont be saving them for future use.

I don't know if it was the aftermarket brace , or the fact that it's an 02 with the larger forks as mabdcmb@yahoo mentioned, but the wheel must come off to remove the front fender.

Well that turned out to be a long update, but whats an update without all the complete info, including my witty comments. :rofl_200:

I appreciate all the help/info guys.

Helps a lot.. mucho gracias
:punk:

and thank you too.
:eusa_dance:

Okay, heres the deal.

I started removing each of the 4 forkbrace bolts (1/4 turn at a time, as that's about all my allen cluster could muster), and as they loosened, the entire fender started rocking..i was all excited that I didn't have to remove the wheel..I almost stopped in the middle to come thank the forum..but I was too excited.

Removed all 4 , put them on the shelf. Gave the fender assembly a gentle "lift" (as my 02 with "AFTERMARKET FORK BRACE" does not allow the entire unit to slide "through to the front".

Cant pull through, brace stops it-
cant pull up, fender stops it :bang head:

So I chuckled to myself a little as I tightened all 4 bolts..1/4 turn at a time and wondered whether or not I would pull the wheel at that moment, or wait til today.
So I removed my old grips cleaned the bars and prepped to install the new grips. (don't know if yall remember my thread on trying to remove the old grips, but they were ON THERE.- Finally got em off w/razor knife/chisel, which I actually bent/hack saw/channel locks/vise grips and goo gone.)
Needless to say, I wont be saving them for future use.

I don't know if it was the aftermarket brace , or the fact that it's an 02 with the larger forks as mabdcmb@yahoo mentioned, but the wheel must come off to remove the front fender.

Well that turned out to be a long update, but whats an update without all the complete info, including my witty comments. :rofl_200:

I appreciate all the help/info guys.
Can you post a pic of the forkbrace?

Can you post a pic of the forkbrace?

I had this one on hand..it says "super brace" - was on it when I got 'er, so I have no deets about it but it appears "beefy".

Attachments

• Brace_resized2.jpg
    Brace_resized2.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 11
I had this one on hand..it says "super brace" - was on it when I got 'er, so I have no deets about it but it appears "beefy".

Ok here is a stock '85 fork brace and fender for comparison.

Attachments

• CIMG1436.jpg
    CIMG1436.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 7
  • CIMG1437.jpg
    CIMG1437.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 6
I take the 4 allen bolts out and the fork brace rises about 1/2 in then roll the fender backwards and it comes right off. Your fork brace wraps further around the forks.

Ahh yes..I see now. That makes sense.
I guess I've never seen a stock brace up close before.
And the wheel comes off again.
;)

As stated earlier by mabdcmb
"that only works on 85-92 bikes with the smaller OD forks. 93+ bikes need to be done the hard way due to clearance issues with the 43mm OD forks."

Back