Bonehead bolt rounding move...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Geez, there are a number of possible solutions here for the shade-tree mechanic, and the easiest one is to drop it off at the machine shop, and have them remove it. I see no reason why this couldn't have already been solved, one way or another.

Oh, that is very much a wood chisel, but it was the best bet i had with something i knew would not break.

I must say, it’s really, really nice to see how active this forum is after being off for quite a bit. I have quite literally never seen somebody work on a motorcycle in person (notwithstanding looking into shops from the customer service area).

Everything i know, albeit not tons, is from this forum and a SMALL group of youtube posters. Thanks again boys.

Isn’t it oh so satisfying to feel that miserable stuck widget finally break loose?

And does this mean you won’t be selling the bike to some unsuspecting rube?
It was INTENSELY satisfying to whack my assembly (somebody gonna joke about that) and to see it twist, you are very right.

And yeah, given that i am a poster boy for unsuspecting rube, i have a certain sympathetic protective vibe towards them ;)

Now to polish some aluminum while I wait for the parts to get this guy back on the street (covid related single income makes chroming a luxury purchase I’d rather spend on tools). A separate post you made motivated me to go this route, so thank you again!

Radioguylogs:
Hah, that's a good one.

Wondering, is the O.P. gonna get that welded-up, with a piece that allows him to remove it in the future, and re-use it? I saw where someone said, "I paid $100 for a fork cap!" I'm sure that Sean, Captain Kyle or another member have a good used one for much-less.

Very bummed I just learned my part is on back-order until JUNE. I ordered a fork cap from another company, but it’s time to get weird...

Edit: Firemedic just read your post after having done all this, hope i did you proud!

2A8DFF8A-A5CC-405E-8276-513E4AF20D97.jpeg
How hard can it be to make this mutilated cap viable?
C170B6F2-4186-4EF2-A2EC-6CE05A999A83.jpeg
Let’s see if this work with the 4043 aluminum filler rod...
24EA1138-43AB-46EA-8DC1-3180AC8BA41D.jpeg
Getting there...
01F20CBE-9CFD-427D-88B2-712517C984DC.jpeg
This will do. Note, i make no assertion that i am a passable welder.
01699CCF-C0D7-4D7E-8E63-FA1D2EFCA602.jpeg
This will do for now. Can always take it out with the wood chisel and plumber’s wrench again :)

Umm, isn't the pipe wrench on backwards for the intended removal?? Or are you assembling it now? (righty tighty, lefty loosey)

Oh that pic is from disassembly. I did not know there was a proper orientation for wrenches, but that makes sense that there is, now that i think about it. Did i mention my mechanical skills are extremely rough and lacking real life instruciton?

Using a pipe wrench, recall one way compresses the jaws and positioning them the opposite way forces them open/apart.

I can't believe you busted your hump to get that POS "off" and then made the nut "passable" then put it back "on"!

"The Year of Living Dangerously" - yeah that was last year. (great movie).

Here's a guy who has a serious case of Spring Fever and wants to ride.

lol

This picture makes it look as though you are following the factory recommended service procedure: :)

View attachment 76272
That is the correct factory procedure, except you are using a pipe wrench when it actually calls for a Monkey Wrench. I just got one Easter Sunday so that I stop destroying fittings with the teeth on the pipe wrench.

1617723935751.png

A wrench with smooth jaws is for chrome nuts or other finished fixtures, like chrome showerhead goosenecks which usually have a pair of parallel flats, while one with teeth is for 'soft' round pipe.

There are different types of Stillson wrenches, some having the adjustable jaw threaded to be parallel to the fixed-jaw, while others have a definite acute angle and are not-parallel to the fixed jaw. Then there is the offset hex style wrench, used for finished nuts and fixtures. Think, 'Sloan valve,' commonly-used on urinals and tankless, large-dia. supply pipe fixtures for toilets.Milwaukee-Smooth-Jaw-Pipe-Wrench.jpgMilwaukee-Offset-Smooth-Jaw-Pipe-Wrench.jpgMilwaukee-Offset-Smooth-Jaw-Pipe-Wrench on nut.jpgSloan valve 1 g.p.f..png

And now, a bit of 'fire-medic' history. When I began in the fire service, we didn't have female firefighters. This was nearly 50 years-ago. Hazing of the 'rookies' was an expected part of the job, and some of the things that happened wouldn't pass P.C. muster today.

One of the more-benign methods of harassment was to have the rookies stand at-attention next-to the the dinner-table, and ask them a question about firefighting to allow them the privilege of sitting for dinner, once they answered correctly. A common question was to ask them the location of something on one of the apparatus, and if they answered incorrectly, they had to go search the truck until they found it. I went through the hazing, but I never didn't immediately-eat because I couldn't answer the question. Once off-probation, you got to skip the ritual, and could ask the question. I used-to ask the rookie of-the-moment, "where will you locate the Sloan valve?" Why, on-top of the urinal, of-course! The firetrucks used for pumping have "a veritable plethora of valves," (as one of my erudite co-workers would-have said) for establishing, maintaining, controlling, and stopping water-flow from the apparatus pump. However, no Sloan valves!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back