Boost Controller?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skrimps

Reaction score
Hello all,

New member here with a 2000 V Max. I recently picked it up with just under 8,000 miles. Overall it's pretty nice, and I am going through and replacing parts to try and make it better and performing some deferred maintenance on it. Shout out to Mr. Morley for the advice and parts hookups that I needed.

I am now trying to figure out what kind of V Boost controller I have. The previous owner was not a V Max guy, and had no idea what it was or how it worked. There is a 3 position switch on the left side under the airbox cover. I have changed the position of the switch but can't tell if it really does anything.

I have attached a photo of the left side of the bike with the scoop removed, in hopes that someone can identify the type of controller installed, and how it is supposed to work. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_1882.jpg
    IMG_1882.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 28
Looks like Zboost. Should be a 3 position switch where it's off (stock) , 3K rpms, on (always open).

Mark

Three positions: normal operation, boost all the time, boost opens lower than normal are probably the three settings. Not sure which manufacturer that is.

Thanks. How do I tell what mode it is in based on the switch? I can leave it down, middle, or up.

if you are sure it is a boost controller but you can't notice any difference then maybe it isn't wired in correctly,
do you feel the boost as normal when you accelerate anyway regardless of the position of the switch

So far I have been keeping it in the middle position, and Vboost seems to work as intended. I have flicked it up and down to see, but I will have to spend more time and pay better attention. I've been working on it over the past week, so I haven't been riding it.

Assuming that you get the 'adrenaline' rush that starts at 6k then that is standard.
If the butterflies open at 3K then you will not get that extra shove and the acceleration will feel linear.
For the always open option you may notice a difference in the idle note.
I'd also assume that with the ignition on and engine running you should see the V Boost butterflies are held in the open position.

VBoost2.jpg
Switching between the three positions should identify if this is the case.

Assuming that you get the 'adrenaline' rush that starts at 6k then that is standard.
If the butterflies open at 3K then you will not get that extra shove and the acceleration will feel linear.
For the always open option you may notice a difference in the idle note.
I'd also assume that with the ignition on and engine running you should see the V Boost butterflies are held in the open position.

View attachment 78379
Switching between the three positions should identify if this is the case.
Completely agree; process of elimination will work fine here.

With bike running, use Maxmidnight's pic and should see that screw head position itself past the red arrow for full-open setting.

For the 3K setting, blip it to 3-3.3K rpms and you should see some movement. What's left would be the stock 6K setting.

Mark

Great, thanks for the help everyone. I will check into this and see if I can figure out what each setting does.

ETA: Finally got a chance to check this out. Switch down = 6k activation, switch middle = OFF switch up = 3k activation.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back