bought a bomadier qaud for the wife

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ripinanroarin

Reaction score
Last weekend a pile of us went out dirtbiking and qauding. It was tons of fun. I havent had that much fun since I was a kid on my 1968 Suzuki 50cc. The wifes says.." boy, honey, it looks like you guys sure had fun" I wished I had a quad so I could come too":sad2:
Soo,..one of the places I do detailing for,... sells quads! They had a 2006 bomadier DS250 that had been slightly burnt in a garage fire. I got it for a 1/3 of the asking price...." working it off"
The seat and the side panels took some heat but the rest seems fine. So,..this weekend we are heading out for some slow fun. We are both in the 1/2 century club and just looking for a fun day.:biglaugh:

Last edited:
Awesome! Nothin better than gettin muddy with the wife. My wife likes to tag along with my son and I when we go riding also. Problem is that around here there isn't a whole lot of places to ride anymore. Riding ATV's is kind of like hunting nowadays, farmers don't want anyone on their land anymore. Sucks.

Same around here. In NY it's practically impossible to ride a quad and be totally legal about it. The "designated ATV areas" are so few and far between.

It's really kind of an "in the know" sort of thing. You have to know/find out where the trails are, whose property you can cut through "safely", ect. It's not like snowmobiles where you pick up a trail map at the dealer and head out.

I recently got rid of my old Suzuki 250 and got a Yamaha blaster 200 (2 stroke). For only 200cc, it really rips right along and keeps up with 350 and 400 four strokes no problem. Everywhere we ride is technically off-limits (or flat out illegal) for quads. Snowmobile trails, access roads, railroad tracks, ect. Never really have much of a problem though, only people we really have to watch out for are the federal transportation agents that sometimes patrol the tracks on Rhino's by the rail station. Fortunately, Rhino's aren't all that fast, and you can lose them pretty easily. :biglaugh:

Holy smokes..that sucks big time. Just 2 miles north we have miles and miles of trails . You could ride for days on end. We are called "the gate way to the north" And we "ARE " the last city untill you hit the north pole LOL. Quads out sell bikes here 100 to 1. Its just the area. Lakes and forest and trails out my back door.
Pic 1 this is are radar station just out of town. Surrounded by trees.
Pic 2 once you cross the bridge,..you in the north.

PS....getting dirty with the little wife sounds fun :eusa_dance:

Attachments

• princealbert.gif
    princealbert.gif
    122.9 KB · Views: 18
  • princealbert2.jpg
    princealbert2.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 17
I got a ticket from the fish and game commision earlier this year. A group of us were out riding in the woods. I was up front and saw his truck and ripped away without being caught as did the guy behind me. The others were a bit further back and got nabbed. I was sitting at camp and an hr later here come the other guys saying the cop will be here in a minute! Ending up getting a hefty fine and a long talking to.

It was worth it though cause my riding buddy got a new nickname. Mark the Narc

I was told we were not allowed to ride on ANY of the miles and miles of trails that we were camping near. But we could ride on any road we wanted along as it wasn't a state road:confused2:

We have hundreds of miles of trails/ logging roads/ snowmobile trails to ride on around here. The snowmobile clubs don't mind quads on "their" trails as most of the maintenance is done by people on quads anyways. Michigan's hunting lobby is pretty strong so they help the quad riders with their efforts on keeping the trails open.
I'm surrounded by either State forest land or Hiawatha National forest (880,000 acres) and as long as you have the DNR sticker you can go almost anywhere. We can ride on the right of way of county roads and I believe in a few designated state roads. The few designated state roads we pushed through due the fact that the roads are rural and due to swamps/ high water there is no other way to get to one point to another w/o riding on state right of ways.

i can't even leave the driveway on long island with the quad. we drive to PA. just to ride for the day and the one close (3 hr.) place just closed down. There is a few other places in PA. that are available near the coal mining towns but without the local knowledge on where to park without getting towed and where to ride its almost impossible to have a little fun kicking up the dirt. If other forums were 1/2 as good as this one I'm sure we could find a place to ride.

i can't even leave the driveway on long island with the quad. we drive to PA. just to ride for the day and the one close (3 hr.) place just closed down. There is a few other places in PA. that are available near the coal mining towns but without the local knowledge on where to park without getting towed and where to ride its almost impossible to have a little fun kicking up the dirt. If other forums were 1/2 as good as this one I'm sure we could find a place to ride.

Yea, you said it....there are very good people on this forum. The xl sportster forum for harleys has fantastic mechanical help.These guys know their stuff. "but" dont trust them...never send parts till you get the money. Some of the members have "0" morals.:jail:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, but this is by far the best internet forum I've ever been on. The V4 Honda forum (v4hondabbs.com) was pretty good with information, but I got stiffed by one of the vendors, and when I called him out on it publicly(after trying for weeks through email, PM, and even phone), the entire site got all up in arms about me trying to slander this dude and essentially gave me the "not welcome anymore" treatment. Oh well. I still pop in there time to time. Suddenly like a month later I got an email from the vendor saying he had "gone on vacation" and thought he filled all the orders beforehand, and mine must have "gotten lost". "I seemed pretty upset about it", so he sent a refund. I asked him why he didn't respond to any of my emails, PMs, or even phone calls. He claims he never got any. Whatever, I got my money back, and already had gotten the part somewhere else.

Probably the worst forum ever was oldminibikes.com. I joined there to try and get some info about drive options and the like. Almost everybody there was snotty, unhelpful, and if it wasn't a totally original 60's bike restoration, didn't want to hear about it(despite having forums for current bikes). Strangely, THE mod was the biggest a-hole of the bunch, and I knew he was about to kick me, so I posted a topic saying they all suck and ride minibikes because they're too fat and stupid to ride a real motorcycle, and that did it in. Had a good laugh though. And most of the people there claimed they were fat-asses, half the posts started with "well I'm a bit over 300, and the 6hp motor was a bit weak for me.....ect". I can't picture a 300 pound dude on a 3 inch wide seat with a 3hp motor.

I've prowled a M109 forum also, and I can say they're a bunch of arrogant s.o.b's. They think they have THE bike to beat on the road, despite the fact a 25 year old Vmax with 2/3 the displacement makes them look silly. M109 owners must know where to get the good ganja, since it seems to be widely accepted there they can take a Vmax no problem, hang with an R1, and people regularly claim they top out at 160+(a M109 speedo only goes to 150). A note on that...I ride with one, and we've hauled ass on the highway several times. I've checked my Max's speedo against a garmin eTrex, and it's pretty close with a new tire. At 100 indicated, it shows about 98. At 75 indicated, between 73 and 74 actual. Pretty close. We've gone at it, I've seen 140 indicated, assuming error, maybe around 135 at worst. He was even with me, and afterward claimed his speedo was pegged on the pin a bit past 150.....so I think M109's are dream-o-meter equipped to fool owners into thinking their bike is a lot faster than it is. My Yamaha snowmobile is like that...it's digital speedo is really, really "optimistic". When It shows 100, you're actually doing like 85 or so. It levels off at about 128 indicated, which in reality is around 108.

I've found a lot of quad forums to be filled with kids, i.e like 14 and under that have no idea what the hell they're talking about. You can find help, but you have to be smart enough to sift through what's BS and what's actual knowledge.

Paintball forums also tend to be internet wastelands. 99% of threads are kids arguing about whose setup is better, or which barrel is more accurate, and who gets the most allowance from mommy to buy paint.

I used to be on a ski-doo forum (dootalk), which is a knowledge goldmine, but at the same time if you don't have that same level of expertise, you get treated like a total idiot. What? you really don't know the compression specs for a 583 twin? SHEESH.

About the closest public riding areas for me are Wayne National Forest (3 hours) and Allegheny National Forest (about 3 hours, also). To ride at Wayne you have to have a Ohio sticker AND a Wayne daily use sticker. I think Allegheny now requires proof of insurance and a state sticker.

If you are looking for a place to go riding head over to Crow Canyon in Urichsville, OH. I think they have 100 or 200 acres (can't remember) of trails, a peewee MX track and a full size MX track. I go there with and without kids and have a great time. They are open 7 days/week and it's not very expensive ($10 or $15 per person). It's probably about 2 hrs from you and you don't need a state sticker.

If you really want some awesome riding head down to the Hatfield McCoy trail system in WV. You can ride through the towns to get food and gas and then head back to the trails. They cater to the off roaders there. I've only been there once but did 70 miles in one day.

I have heard of Crow Canyon, and Hatfield McCoy. Never been to either, but will definately check out C.C. I have talked to several people who say the Hatfield McCoy trails are the bomb, but it takes about 6-7 hours to get there from here. There is also Wellsville, Bear Creek, and the Wayne National Forest Hanging Rock trails that are down by the Ohio river. Thanks for the tips.

Hey... VMAXIMUS, we had to have passed in the woods somewhere ! I've ridden Wellsville, Marienville, (Allegheny N.F.), and most other spots as far as Mich.'s U.P. to W.V.'s Hatfield Mcoy... Lately around here, (Yongstown area), ya have to trailer to one of these places or have your "game face" on when ya leave the barn... We live just outside of Youngstown right on the P.A. line and a friend we grew up riding with, raced quads all his walking life, built and opened an outstanding "GNCC" sanctioned track that "most" of us can ride at will. It's got about 60 to 70 achres of diff. moto tracks to flat ovals to 4 to 5 mi. woodsman trails. This has pacified alot of us as we're gettin older and it takes alot less to please an ageing body hangin' on to a quad...
We, about 30 guys, no kidding, used to do an anual superbowl 3 day weekend for about 8 yrs. to Marienville, and we've all been fined, ticked, confinscated, and cuffed... It got old watching the gov. dip their hands into nature... We quit.
Those were the fun days... Seriously considering selling my quad that's been my baby since day one...
Oh well... Just rantin' ... :)

in respose to Rawarriors post... You made me laugh.. and I agree commpletly.:biglaugh: I have been looking for Quad info,..and yea, its 14 year old kids.lol.
On some forums,..the head moderatores seem to set the pace as to what is permissable, talked about or "worshiped". And if you go against the flow or there way of thinking "however missguided" ..your ignored or shunned.
I had to laugh...I was on my buddies Triumph forum " for bonnievilles & T-100"s"
The post was about beating a V-max. He said he was slightly over power on the straights, but creamed him big time in the corners !! ..ah,yea....I dont think so.:rofl_200:
My friend believes all that is said on this forum and decided to challenge me one day on his Bonnie. I heard him screaming his bike and pulling away. I gave it about 1/4 throttle and shifted at about 4500 rpm. It was not a race!! After we got in town I asked him "was that pinned ?" His face turned red, he said nothing. He's a nice guy so I didnt push the issue. Now to add insult to injury...he tried racing my yamaha virago 535cc. I left him till 162kms. He got me on the top end. Not saying much for a 900cc bike.

I always ask my buddy with the M109 if his bike is running okay, since it sounds like it's only running on two cylinders. :eusa_dance:

Sounds like when I "raced" a 883 sportster. He was a nice enough guy initially, but was laying the BS on thick about how fast his bike was. He made a comment about how he could take anybody in our group, and that's when I told him to nut up or shut up. Filled with false store-bought confidence (and straight pipes), he lined up to his demise. A corvette vs winnebago would have been a closer race. I shut it down by like 80, no point in continuing. He blew by me a few seconds later still at WOT and maybe pushing 90. Left our group on the spot, never saw or heard from him again. Probably went to the HD dealer to get counseling for Vmax victims.

Hey... VMAXIMUS, we had to have passed in the woods somewhere ! I've ridden Wellsville, Marienville, (Allegheny N.F.), and most other spots as far as Mich.'s U.P. to W.V.'s Hatfield Mcoy... Lately around here, (Yongstown area), ya have to trailer to one of these places or have your "game face" on when ya leave the barn... We live just outside of Youngstown right on the P.A. line and a friend we grew up riding with, raced quads all his walking life, built and opened an outstanding "GNCC" sanctioned track that "most" of us can ride at will. It's got about 60 to 70 achres of diff. moto tracks to flat ovals to 4 to 5 mi. woodsman trails. This has pacified alot of us as we're gettin older and it takes alot less to please an ageing body hangin' on to a quad...
We, about 30 guys, no kidding, used to do an anual superbowl 3 day weekend for about 8 yrs. to Marienville, and we've all been fined, ticked, confinscated, and cuffed... It got old watching the gov. dip their hands into nature... We quit.
Those were the fun days... Seriously considering selling my quad that's been my baby since day one...
Oh well... Just rantin' ... :)
I bet we probably have passed in the woods somewhere! I had an 85 Honda Atc 350X for years, and this Spring my son had an accident on it....hit a concrete barrier at about 40mph. Thank God he was only shook up, and did not get seriously hurt. Needless to say the ATC is pretty much trash, and parts for them are really hard to find. I picked up a 01 350 Warrior a few weeks ago, and have been bringing it back to life after the previous owners lack of maintenance. We ride quite often down at Wayne Forest, but it has become a game for the Federal agent that works down there to "jump out" of various hiding places and demand to see all tags and licenses! One guy we talked to said he had been stopped by him 3 times in the same day. Its a shame when the government stuffs their nose that far into somthing. A friend of mine was just telling me about a hunt club in your area that has ATV rides several times each year, I think its in Hopedale?

Hmmm... Hopedale. Not ringin' a bell. Wow ! A cement barrier. Those don't move. I have been to a couple of the "Cochranton" poker runs on the east of P.A. just below Erie, (shy of an hr. from here) those made it to "Dirtwheels" magazine. BIG !!! They had 9,000 "registered" riders, and an estimated 2,500 or better unregistered. Never saw anything like it shy of Sturgis. Made Daytona & Myrtle look like a Sunday ride up at a CedarPoint rally... Seriously "CRAZY" and total chaos. They stopped those as well. Go figure. So much traffic through the woods and natural waterways, it "permanantly" changed the landscape. E.P.A - D.O.N.R. - state police - and every other dept. that could get in on it, GOT in on it and shut the whole thing down. Google it sometime and read... Unreal! Fun, but not for the average bear(wife)...
Again, I miss those days. I have an 87' TRX 250 R that sits idle mostly because of the quickly vanishing places to rip-snort that thing around... Last I rode it was this past winter, slammed a set of "Mudmachines" on it and hit the city roads. About 6 or 7 of us old farts went and just tore up the streets. Ha...
Yup!

Thats too bad about the 350x....those are worth big bucks now, much moreso than the smaller ones. One of my uncles used to have one and it was stupid fast. Saw one go near me this summer in really nice shape for $2k, while I see the 250's and smaller regularly go for only a couple hundred. Thought about picking one up since they sell so cheap, but almost all need work/parts that just aren't around anymore.

I've done a couple poker/dice runs in the northern PA/ southern NY area, most recent one was in Jasper. Pretty good size, probably 3-400 quads there and the ride was nice. Did one somewhere near Towanda earlier this summer that was pretty good also. Neither of them required registration, insurance, or anything. Just had to pay the $5 entry fee or whatever and never saw a single LEO of any sort.

How are you getting in trouble in Marienville? I was just up there a month ago. The bikes don't need anything other than a $10 trail pass to ride all day. The quads need insurance and registration to be able to get the trail pass but as far as I know you can ride on all the designated trails you want (there are a lot) without trouble?

We stayed at a little camping ground right on the side of 66. Camp there and ride you bike a mile down the backroads to the trail head. Can't remember the name of the place but the old guy who owned it was Frank IIRC. He came down in the evening and scolded us for having too much fun round the campfire

No trouble at Marienville....just saying that I thought they now require proof of insurance, along with your trail pass and State registration. Trouble has been at Wayne National forest, where a certain Federal agent has made it his life goal to bust someone even though he has checked them already multiple times! Gets annoying when you are trying to enjoy the day, and keep getting hassled by smokey the bear.

Back